This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I mistaken

I have just added a BD Burner to my system and burning BD to BD has no problems, I read where I can burn BD to a DVD usinf BD5/9, I interpreted this as it would compress a BD to a DVD and put in a DVD structure so it could be viewed as a DVD rather that BD!

I think I may have got it wrong, because whilst it did write to a DL DVD the disc structure was very BD and as a result was not recodnised by my players!

So can somebody explain to me the BD to DVD process? or why I would convert a BD to a DVD if it can't be played

Thanks in advance
    David

iirc you still need a blu ray player to play the movie.

Comment

Because of the compaarative cost of the blanks.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I have 2 BD players! both report as format not supported.

Comment

The BD9 and BD5 is a hit and miss for some still. Make sure you remove all audio that too large as most audio on Blu-ray is larger than 4GB and if left would leave no room for the movie which could be why it not supported format

Comment

In addition to AGJ post...
            Also make sure that in Common Settings you have selected stand-along-friendly format (without CERTIFICATE folder).
            sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Four immediate reasons come to mind for me as to why I burn to DVD5 or DVD9...

1) I do not own a BD burner, nor plan to pick one up until they drop below US $100 (I am thinking that should happen by the end of the year or, at latest, the beginning of next... fingers crossed as they say).

2) As noted before, the media is considerably cheaper, especially in the DVD5 realm.

3) I can play backups of my BD discs that I burn to DVDs in any of my computer systems with a DVD-ROM and proper Blu-Ray decoding software. As it can read DVD-R and DVD+DL media, a DVD-ROM will have no qualms reading the movie and sending it along to be properly decoded and played. This means I can watch HD films on my laptop (without sacrificing drive space) while traveling, etc, etc.

4) Because I notice very little loss in quality from the original BD to the DVD5 or DVD9, save for a slight fading in color, I see no reason to increase my cost per backup exponentially as the cost-benefit just isn't there for my eyes. As I mentioned in another thread, the quality in both the DVD5 and DVD9's case is comparable, if not better too, OTA signals to me. Not to mention that the size compressed is on par with the HD movies that iTunes, which average 3-5GB in size and have comparable quality, which is the future of HD over the internet, at least in the near future.

There is no doubt that on some of the films that I backup to travel with I would prefer to have a non-compressed image so as to not lose the color, but given the lack of a BD-ROM for my laptop and a BD burner plus the additional cost in media, I am MORE than happy backing up to a DVD5 or DVD9.
              Last edited by mad-toilet; 07-30-2010, 07:58 AM.

Comment

i have had success in that both of my PC regular LG-DVD drives will play either BD5 or BD9's w/ Powerdvd9 ultra.

YMMV.
                AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto unlocked to 4 core Denab @ 3.8mhz, MSI 785GM-E65 M/B, 4 Gig Geil DDR3-1333, EVGA GTX-260 192 Core, Corsair 700 W power, LG-BHO8LS20, LG-GH22LS50, IHOS104 DRIVES, 750 WDC Caviar Green, Hitachi 500, 2 TB WDC Caviar Green, SATA HD Drives, ASUS Xonar Essence SXT Sound, 2 Samsung SYNC 2333'S, Windows Vista 32 Buisness Edition.

Comment

Working...
                X