This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

settings to rip main movie + DTS-HD for PS3

Hi All. I am trying to rip the main movie from my blu-rays with DTS-HD intact, burn to BD-25, and then playback on my PS3 slim connected to a receiver via HDMI v1.3 that can handle the DTS-HD. I know people typically remove the HD audio for playback on the PS3, but I would like to maintain the full audio quality. Can anyone recommend DVDFab settings that will allow this to happen, assuming that it is even possible?

Thank you in advance.

You should be able to just select the main HD audio track and make sure the "Remove HD Audio" box is NOT ticked, then rip and thats it. Unless you're saying the PS3 doesn't support HD audio which would be pretty dumb considering it has a blu ray player and is meant for blu rays, which happen to have HD audio on them so don't see why this wouldn't work. And the PS3 should be able to bitstream it to your receiver also.
    SPECS
    DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
    SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Originally posted by ChEDoc View Post
      Hi All. I am trying to rip the main movie from my blu-rays with DTS-HD intact, burn to BD-25, and then playback on my PS3 slim connected to a receiver via HDMI v1.3 that can handle the DTS-HD. I know people typically remove the HD audio for playback on the PS3, but I would like to maintain the full audio quality. Can anyone recommend DVDFab settings that will allow this to happen, assuming that it is even possible?

Thank you in advance.
      First of all, it's not possible... PS3 can't handle streaming DTS-HD, even if connected by HDMI 1.3. If you want to do what you are saying - forget PS3. PS3 is a gaming console, not a mediaplayer.
      In terms of a settings, you have to remember that HD sound itself weight about 5-6 gig. If you have no problem with size of file, you can use "Remux" profile without any compression (just selected video, audio and subs streams), or, if compression is necessary, keep it within 8-10 Mbps bitrate will give you good quality.
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

ipopov is such a ps3 hater haha.

Comment

Me too !!! I am with IPopov.

Reasoning?

For a hundred bux or so, you can get players that do not have the drawbacks/restrictions/shortcomings of game consoles.

As I think I have said before many times, I regard game consoles as RETARDED as Media Players.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

ya but can you play god of war 3!!!! :-P

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I know the PS3 has the capability of bitstreaming to a receiver, so I was hoping to take advantage since I already own the PS3. But I also see the advantage of purchasing a standalone player dedicated to playing blurays. I mainly wanted to experiment with backing up my discs first to play on the PS3, and then to invest in a decent player.

I'll give it a try as Racem22 suggested and will get back to you. Thanks again!

Comment

Sorry buddy I was wrong. Read Ipopovs post. You can't bitstream HD audio with a PS3.
                SPECS
                DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
                SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

So if it is not possible for the PS3 to bitstream copied BD25 discs with DTS-HD, then how does the PS3 handle the audio from the original disc that it plays just fine? Is my only option to get BD50 discs where I can do the full disc copy?

Comment

To clarify, the PS3 will play the HD audio from a disk, it just won't play it from a streamed file.

You can thank Sony for this. It is one of their attempts at copy protection.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

GregiBoy, so you are saying that I should be able to rip the main movie and DTS-HD stream with DVDFab, then burn to a BD25 disc, and the final product will playback on a PS3 with the HD audio?

Comment

Yes it should but you may have size issues fitting on a BD-25 as the DTS-HD stream takes up considerable space and you may also have some compatability issues.

Comment

OK, that sounds good. I will have to try burning the District 9 disc tomorrow. Luckily that one will fit on a BD25 disc once I remove the non-english HD audio streams. Thanks for the information.

Comment

Actually, the PS3 Slim CAN bitstream HD audio. It's the original "fat boy" PS3s that can't. He says he has a slim. This SHOULD work (assuming this is from a disc and not a ripped file).

Comment

Thanks Viros. That is indeed what I found out when looking at other audio-related forums for the PS3 Slim. Everything sounds fantastic now. Unfortunately, that is only for original Bluray discs. I am still having trouble getting the PS3 to recognize discs that I rip/burn with DVDFab. Nothing shows up on the menu, which suggests to me the disc isn't recognized. As far as I know, I have the default settings for DVDFab, and then link it to ImgBurn to create the UDF2.50 disc. This is all of the District 9 main movie only with the DTS-HD english track, and then the two smaller 5.1 english tracks.

I should point out that the disc is recognized by movie playing software on my PC, including the embedded alien subtitles. It's just that nothing happens on the PS3. Does anyone have screenshots or a list of settings that they have had work for burning discs that playback on the PS3?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X