Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Blu Ray Player displaying 1080/60p

Hi Everyone,
    I'm very new to DVDfab and I must say thus far, its truely FABULOUS..so well done....

I have looked around the forum for something that links to my question, but haven't been able to locate anything related, so please accept my apologies if this has been asked before.

I've just started to delve into the 'blu ray' world and using version 8.0.0.5 (which I believe is the latest version).

I am converting a BD50 to BD25 using the 1080p/i setting and the process is working as expected.

However, my Sony player under normal circumstances when playing an original will display 1080/24p.... for a BD50/BD25

When the same BD has been processed with main movie using dvdfab, the resulting files when played back give me a display of 1080/60p and I can notice a slight 'jitter' in the video resolution as apposed to 'smooth' play back.

I have looked in the settings and nothing seems to relate to this.....!!!

Could it be that my player/BD25 used is causing this, OR is this being caused during the compression stage of the process, and can it be adjusted?

Basically, I wouldlike to put 24p in and get 24p out - is this something that can be done, or maybe I'm misunderstanding the differences between 24p and 60p - any information on this would be most beneficial.

I am in the UK and therefore all region B and PAL format - I was wondering if this is actually producing an NTSC format instead......

Many thanks for reading and any assistance would be gratefully received....

Baabaa!!!

huhu,

not sure why its showing 60p. but thought id say welcome to the forum!

Comment

Thankyou for the welcome...

Yep, I've been trawling around for some relevant info on it but at the moment I've drawn a blank.

The whole process is taking about 10 hours from rip/compression to burn, but I put that down to my PC not having the 'humpf' required....

P4 2.8HT, 1.5Gb Ram and a standard AGP 256Mb Graphics card.....not able to actually to play the BD in the PC, but thats livable with until I upgrade my system.

It runs fine with no actual errors or anything (which is the big bonus and I'm not too fussy about the process time), just would be nice to 'iron' out this little niggle thats all.

I'll keep looking around and update this thread if I find anything out, would be nice to hear others comments as to whether they've noticed this at all.

For the record the player is Sony BD-S370 and TV is Toshiba 40LV Regza.

If there was an increase in FPS, I'd of thought there would have been a slight difference in overall playing time, but thats the same also......

Comment

This is not rendered scenes like computer gaming. 60 FPS doesn't make sense. Movies are not filmed at 60.

Comment

Originally posted by baabaa View Post
          If there was an increase in FPS, I'd of thought there would have been a slight difference in overall playing time, but thats the same also......
          Welcome to the forum baabaa,
          Please do me a favor... there are two utilities - MediaInfo and BDInfo, if you don't have them, please google them, download and install (they are free and you will find them useful in a future).
          When installed and running, please scan your output content (that shown as 60p) and post reports here. Thank you.
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Very true indeed....

I maybe getting a little mixed up with the FPS and 24p/60p standards.

However, if I was putting an original stream in at 24p from the original, I would be expecting 24p to come out of the other end.

Over the weekend, I'm going to try doing a couple of extra features of the original only (which are @ 50p) and see if it results in the same.

I'm pretty sure I can rule my pc specs out, type of BD used - just seems to point to the compression stage - approx 85% compression......we'll see, but thankyou for the comment....

EDIT:

Hi Ipopov50

Thankyou for the advice, I'll locate the utilities you mentioned and gather some info for you, I may have trouble running them with my pc specs, but if they give me realtime feedback of the actual content, I can then begin eliminating devices.....it may just be my player 'mis-reporting'.....

Many thanks, that gives me something to look into......
            Last edited by baabaa; 09-01-2010, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Hi......

Ipopov50

Those utilities were EXCELLENT, many thanks for the heads up.
              Both utilities are displaying the following:

Both are showing 1080/24p (if you view the attached screenshots) which is GREAT NEWS, looks like its the Player/TV thats possibly 'mis-reporting' the format then.
              Firmware for TV/Player are both up todate - dvdFab is obviously working well, so thats fantatstic.......
              If you have anymore thoughts on this, any comment would be appreciated.

BUT I BIG thankyou to you Ipopov50
              Attached Files
              Last edited by baabaa; 09-02-2010, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by baabaa View Post
                If you have anymore thoughts on this, any comment would be appreciated.
                baabaa,
                I do have one more comment, or rather suggestion. What I see from media reports, your default (#1) audio stream is LPCM formatted. I'm not sure why you are interested in LPCM audio (BD with LPCM usually supplied with "twin" compressed stream, in your case it's DTS), but I think you should know a few facts about LPCM format. First of all it's a lossless uncompressed format, which means a gigantic file size. Second of all, a huge bitrate that requires HDMI 3 for proper delivery. More you can find out by google it.
                Most importantly, LPCM could overwhelmed your system and cause a 'jitter' picture you were referring to in your OP.
                You can experiment with it by switching to DTS audio in your player and see difference.
                sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

hate lpcm!

should make that a t shirt

Comment

This was my first attempt, so I wanted to include the main movie and largest audio selections basically to test the compression/degradation of the video content and also give me a ballpark idea of overall process time.

Nice of you to point that out though and I hadn't thought of that possibly causing the 'jitter', so its something for me to investigate further.....many thanks.....

In fact, I have some further news:

My pops has the exact same player but different TV that will only display interlaced as apposed to progressive.
                    On his setup the display comes up as 1080/60i, as his TV is interlaced, this again narrows it down to the Sony player displaying the incorrect information.

From my understanding, in order for it to be 'true' 60p, surely there has to another 26FPS appearing from somewhere....but from original 24p......where is it coming from.....I'm sure an extra 1500 frames per minute would be noticable, which again points back to the player could it be possibly trying to upscale it, and indeed displaying true 60p - or have I misread into this?

I now this know lies outside of Dvdfab being the culprit, I am tempted to drop Sony an email, but I think it may take some time to get any relative response out of them......however cos my process time takes 'many moons' I may just see what they could come back with.

I'm in the process of doing another anyway, this time without the LPCM and I'll let you know if I still have the 'jitters'.....from the BD and not from lack of alcohol.......

Many thanks again and thankyou for the taking the time to get invloved with my post, keep up the good work IPopov50.......not forgetting thisizbrian....cheers guys.....

Comment

I have noticed this too on the same player. I was comparing an original and a copy on my PC which were both reported to be correct and I'm not sure if the copy was as smooth. DVD Fab can't of altered the frame rate can it?

Comment

Working...
                      X