Temporary Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary Files

I keep an ISO on the hard drive of each Blu-ray I backup. I also burn to BD25. What is the best way to do both of these with each backup and not duplicate a step. I usually rip to hard drive first and then burn to a DVD25. I noticed that on the second step of the burn a note flashes that a temporary file already exists and would I write over it. Is there a way to use the temporary files as a source for the BD burn?

Sure, you can select the temp file as your source as well as selecting the .ISO file, but this doesn't eliminate any steps for you.

However, if the initial .ISO rip is < 25 GB (ie., will fit on a BD25 disc), then you can select
    Write Data Mode.

The Write Data Mode will burn the source image directly to a BD25 without re-ripping or otherwise processing the files in any way.
    The drawback here is that you cannot modify the files in this mode and the source files must fit on the target disc
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

That looks like just what I need. All of my rips are going onto a internal hard drive that is docked to a Thermotake BlacX external dock. I have a WD TV Live PLus on a wired network. I have tried to stream my ISO's to it but they play slow and without sound. Are any of the other ripping modes more likely to yield to better streaming on the WD? I also have a Panasonic Blu-ray player and a Panasonic 54" Viera on the Network.

The purpose of rip to the hard drive is two fold. One is for streaming and the other is for burning additional backups from the rips. Do all of the ripping methods take up the same amount of space on the hard drive?

Up to now, since the streaming has not panned out to be watchable, I have just taken the hard drive out of one Blac X dock and put it into another one that is attached to the WD by USB cable.

Comment

I want to mention that the external BlacX dock is connected to an esata port on the computer. Also my computer had not been wired to the router. Therefore I did not have a completely wired connection to the the WD. It was only wired from the router to the WD. I am now able to watch an uncompressed ISO of a Blu-ray movie that is 20.41GB but not one that is 29.53. I think its the size of the latter that is preventing it from being watched without playback problems. I am able to watch the larger ISO but playback is spotty; it slows down in spots and there is no sound.

Do any of the ripping methods yield a backup that is more likely to be streamed without distortion?

Comment

Wireless video streaming is a major can of worms from everything I've read.
          My plan is never to try.
          Frankly, I'm surprised you're having good luck with at least one of the .ISO files, but tough to say why one worked
          and one didn't with such a small sampling.

I have an Argosy MP myself, so no experience with WD.
          You must have a usb port on the WDMP, yes?
          I'd connect the BlacX dock directly and then run your tests.

My Argosy is pretty versatile and will handle most file formats.
          Some minor stuff with MKV and subtitles, but I can work around this or simply use the original rip in .ISO or standard file format.
          The only road block so far is True HD audio stream. My Argosy doesn't support it at this time, but that's not a big deal to me.
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
          X