This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about ripping Blu-ray discs

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping will be easy for someone to answer. Let me say that I'm a long-time DVDFab user/fan and I fully expect that BD+ support will be added by the great DVDFab developers. FWIW, I am looking to rip Blu-ray movies and store them on a hard drive, playing them on my computer. I am not interested in writing them onto disc to play in a Blu-ray player. And now for my questions...

1) DVDFab does not yet support removing BD+. How will I know if a disc has BD+? Will DVDFab complain right away and inform me of the presence of BD+ in some way, or might it waste my time by allowing me to spend a couple of hours ripping a disc which will then not work?

2) Another product that shall remain nameless can remove BD+. Until BD+ removal is added to DVDFab, what is the fastest approach to ripping a BD+ disc? DVDFab complains if I have this other product running, but can/should I ignore that error and keep the other product running anyway and, if so, will that other product "do its thing" and remove BD+ in the process of DVDFab ripping the disc all in one step (using just DVDFab to rip the disc)? Or, do I need to use that other product to first rip the disc (removing BD+ along the way) to an .ISO file, and then use DVDFab on that .ISO file to rip the main movie, etc.? So, in short, I'd like to rip the BD+ movie in a single step, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

3) Can I rip the main movie using DVDFab to a full-sized .ISO file (i.e., no compression) and then, later, use that .ISO file as input into DVDFab and use the compression methods to effectively "rip it again" to a new, compressed .ISO file? Basically, I may want to rip a movie as quickly as possible the first time (main movie only, but full size file w/no compression) so that I can watch it that same day using my computer running XBMC, and then compress it another day (likely kicking it off overnight).

I'll answer as best I can from personal experience.
    1. If a disc has BD+ you should get a pop up from Fab stating so and it will not open the disc.

2. Fab's author advises against using a "on-the-fly" decryptor while running Fab and I never tried this even though I have the tools to do so. (I'll leave it at that)

3.Main Movie? not sure but I have ripped Full disc to ISO and then used that as the source for ripping Main Movie/compressing. last version I tested was 6115.

Comment

Working...
    X