Newby Help with Blu-ray Copy to Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newby Help with Blu-ray Copy to Hard Drive

I am new to using Blu-ray copy, although I have used DVDFab for years with regular DVD's. I successfully copied a Blu-ray disk to my hard drive, and I have PowerDVD 9. However, I am finding that PowerDVD does not seem to recognize the folder structure for a Blu-ray on the hard drive. I was thinking that perhaps if I created a Blu-ray ISO file, that would be better for playing on the hard drive.

The way I have ripped regular DVD's to the hard drive was to have a folder with the name of the movie and the year it was released. E.g., I would create a folder called "The Hurt Locker (2009)". In that folder, I would create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, with the VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder. In other words, the folder structure on the hard drive was the same as on the DVD itself. This seemed to work fine, and movie-watching software like PowerDVD and XBMC would recognize the folders as containing one movie.

When I created a folder for a Blu-ray movie (I ripped the original Predator), PowerDVD did not recognize the Predator folder as containing a movie. I had to go to the mts file itself to get it to play. XBMC does not yet play Blu-ray, as far as i know.

My basic question is: what is the best way to rip a Blu-ray to the hard drive so you can play the movie with PowerDVD? Should I create an ISO file?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Yes, that's the problem with PowerDVD, it won't playback blu ray folder structures. If you wanted to do that, use MPC-Home Cinema or Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre, both of them can. The one thing you can do with PowerDVD is rip to an ISO. Then download and install DVDFab Virtual Drive(which is free) and mount the ISO with it. This basically makes it look like you have another blu ray drive in your PC with the disc in. Then play it and you should be all set. One thing to add, never playback the m2ts files. You will run into all sorts of problems that I won't explain right now because I just did to like 3 other people on the forum today.
    SPECS
    DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
    SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

I've played the .m2ts files with PowerDVD 10 with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by DVDjunky View Post
        I am new to using Blu-ray copy, although I have used DVDFab for years with regular DVD's. I successfully copied a Blu-ray disk to my hard drive, and I have PowerDVD 9. However, I am finding that PowerDVD does not seem to recognize the folder structure for a Blu-ray on the hard drive. I was thinking that perhaps if I created a Blu-ray ISO file, that would be better for playing on the hard drive.

The way I have ripped regular DVD's to the hard drive was to have a folder with the name of the movie and the year it was released. E.g., I would create a folder called "The Hurt Locker (2009)". In that folder, I would create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, with the VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder. In other words, the folder structure on the hard drive was the same as on the DVD itself. This seemed to work fine, and movie-watching software like PowerDVD and XBMC would recognize the folders as containing one movie.

When I created a folder for a Blu-ray movie (I ripped the original Predator), PowerDVD did not recognize the Predator folder as containing a movie. I had to go to the mts file itself to get it to play. XBMC does not yet play Blu-ray, as far as i know.

My basic question is: what is the best way to rip a Blu-ray to the hard drive so you can play the movie with PowerDVD? Should I create an ISO file?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
        I use powerdvd9 to play back blu-ray from a folder.
        here what I do.
        open folder,open BDMV folder,open stream,then right click choose a program
        to open, select powerdvd9 this work for me.
        hope this help you out.
        Windows 7 64bit ultimate
        CPU: i7 4770K @4.5 vcore@1.28v temps 27c/67c
        RAM: 16GB DDR3 @2133
        GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
        SSD: 2 X 60GB OCZ vertex 3 RAID 0 (boot drive)
        HHD: 1 TB WD BLK (storage and back up)
        PSU: 760W ,Fans 1x200mm and 2x120mm

Comment

Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion.

Comment

Working...
          X