Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow burn and freeze @ >2 hours

Hello,

I am using DVDFab 8.0.0.5. I have an HP i5 laptop with 4GB RAM. My burner is the LG BH10LS30 (in a drive enclosure/USB) and I am using Ridata BD-R25GB 4X Blu-Ray Discs for burning. I am copying only the movie and if it is too large, I remove the HD Audio and compress.

I've successfully (according to DVDFab) backed up six of my blu-rays but noticed a few problems along the way.

1. My first few movies ripped at speeds between 8 and 10MB/s. The following day after a reboot I was not able to rip movies at more than 1.3-2MB/s. This is taking approx. 5-6 hours per movie.

2. Movies that are near 2 hours in length or longer (that burn to the outer edge of the Blu-ray disc) seem to freeze / skip anytime after 2 hours.

So my questions are:

1. Why is compression / ripping so slow and taking so much time? Would it be faster if I rip to the HDD and then burn afterward? I am afraid of burning out my LG drive if each backup takes 6 hours. Any ideas why my first few burns were so fast and now my burns are so slow? Suggestions?

2. Regarding the screen freeze / skip after 2 hours - is this a problem with the burner, the media, or the player (PS3)? Or is this a problem with DVDFab and compressing 50GB movies to a 25GB disc?

3. I've seen some info on the forum that Verbatim is the media of choice and I should perhaps try Imgburn to create my discs. True?

Any suggestions / recommendations would be appreciated. Let me know if you need more information

Hi tveith
    Please post your logs The default location is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log.
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Here are some observations / tweaks / tips that helped me achieve four successful backup copies last night.

<and yes I will post my logs tonight as I am having trouble backing up one of my movies - Leon the Professional.>

1. I am now copying Blu-ray (movie only) to my hard drive - uncompressed (50GB copy). I always remove HD Audio.

2. I then compress from the uncompressed folder to another folder on my hard drive using the 25GB setting.

3. I have had to reduce the size of the 25GB setting from 23.5 to 23 (using the custom setting in DVDFab). This avoids burning too close to the edge of the Blu-ray disc - or burning more data than the disc can accomodate. This seemed to be more of a problem when using Ridata BDR 4X discs rather than Verbatim 4X BDR discs.

4. Once I've compressed my files I close DVDFab completely, open Imgburn, and burn the disc from there using the settings I found in an Imgburn tutorial.

By doing the above, I was able to make four solid backups and none of them froze, skipped, or had problems fast forwarding at 30x/120x or chapter skipping.

Unfortunately, I've come to realize that some Blu-ray movies take longer to copy than others. For example, the Star Trek films, Alice in Wonderland took 30-40 minutes to read/create an image. Leon the Professional took more than 3 hours - as did Iron Man. Not certain if it is the type of encryption/copy protection slowing down the read/write process? Does anybody know?

So my final problem - I was able to copy the Blu-ray image for Leon the Professional to my HDD successfully without compression. When I then tried to compress the files to 25GB media in another folder on my HDD, I failed three times at approx. 75% with errors that DVDFab "encountered an error and could not continue".

I've borrowed a copy from my friend to test and see if I achieve the same result. I'll post my results either way. Should it work then I'll know there is a problem with my copy of the movie. If it doesn't work, I'll post my log files and try to figure this out.

Thanks

Comment

Hi tveith:

For your 1st question: You can rip BD50 to BD25(folder/ISO) in hard disc. And then burning the output (folder/ISO) to BD disc.
        If you have high performance nVIDIA VGA Card(460,465,470,480), please goes to Common Settings dialog, set the CUDA decoder and encoder.
        If you have low performance nVIDIA VGA Card(260,250,240), set the software decoder and software + CUDA encoder.

For 2nd question:
        Freeze issue no matter what burner you used. This issue "ghost" issue. And I repro this issue so many times, but not always. It is random. So if you try again, should not be freeze again. If repro, the freeze bug always repro, please give me the details info(Movie name, repro steps). Thx.

For 3th question:
        ImgBurn is better than others.

For 4th question:
        I'll try your issue of Leon the Professional.
        Which version of this? en-US?

Thanks,
        Potti

Comment

Update: i borrowed Leon the Professional from a friend and it copied perfectly. Therefore I suspect there was a problem with my original disc.

Everything is working great now that I'm ripping to my hard drive uncompressed, then creating the compressed copy, then burning directly with Imgburn.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X