Question for you all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you all

I have a question that I would like to have answered in order that what I have gone through might help someone else coping some of the movies that jitter in certain spots.

I have just purchased a new pc. I went for a pc that was strictly for multi media. Everything on this machine performed perfectly until I tried to compress a movie from 50GB to 25GB using DVDFab 8.0.0.5. As soon as the compression started the fan on my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 started to squeal.

The pc was built with 750 watt power supply. The MB is the Asus P7P55d-E Pro with and Intel i7 processor 860 @2.80Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1333 MHz Ram and running Windows 7 64 bit.

We tried new video cards, but every time we tried to compress the file the video card started to squeal.

The store where I purchased the pc re-built it from scratch using all new components and still had the same problem with the video card.

Finally they tried a plain video card that did not require power from the power supply. This time there was no noise.

We finally resolved the problem by increasing the power supply to 1000 watts.

Now I have posted several times that I have been able to backup Iron Man 2, Robin Hood and Gladiator all with no jitters using ver 8.0.0.2 to clone to ISO and then use ver 7.0.9.0 to compress to ISO and write data using ver 7.0.9.0.

My blank media is the Memorex BD-R 4X. My writer is an LG external USB 6X.

I've had no issues at all backing up these movie in the manner I just described.

So after all this rambling, I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar issue with your video cards when compressing your file(s)?

I just thought that this info might help some of you if you had experienced the problem with your video card.

Have you tried the latest beta release to see if using just that version on these Blu-rays will compress them with no jitters. Using old outdated versions of DVDFab does not really help others who are wanting to know if the latest one can accomplish the task.

The video card is probably the main factor in the compression process as well since you using nvidea then it a CUDA enabled card and could be the reason you was getting the loud noise from the video card fan. The 750 watt PSU should have been enough power and hopefully this did not cost you extra to get done to computer

Comment

Thanks for responding, however you never really answered my question. Has anyone else reported problems with their NVIDIA cards when trying to compress a movie?

To answer your question no I have not tried the latest beta version(s). At the time I was encountering the video card problem I had just learned of DVDFab program and the version that was out when I purchased the program was 8.0.0.5.

I did download version 8.0.2.2. when it came out. I was have no difficulty backing up the movies I had until I tried to back up Gladiator. That was when I started to experiment with the different versions.

I tried the suggestions of members who had problems backing up their movies. I went back to version 6.2.1.8 but was unable to do a full disc back up. I was only able to do the main movie, so I tried different versions until I was able to compress a full disc.

So that is what has worked for me. I'm not sure if it is my computer configuration that has let me copy disc's successfully using the method I described earlier where others still complained of jittering.

To answer your question about the cost for the 1000 watt PS, no I did not pay extra. I have been dealing with this computer store for over 15 years and the pc configuration that I ordered was a first for them. So this was a learning experience for the techs and myself.

So I have downloaded the new beta version but have not installed it yet. I will give it a shot and let you know how I make out.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Comment

Has anyone else reported problems with their NVIDIA cards when trying to compress a movie?
        No have not seen any one mention any problems like you have for nvidea cards but I'm sure in the morning others will post if the experienced something like it

Comment

I have an Nvidia GeForce card and have not had any issues. It is a 5 year old case with the original power supply, which i don't think is more than 500 watts. There are a lot of variables when it comes to computers. The computer has a dual core intel processor with an intel motherboard. It's still running Xp. It is a noisy machine, but i think the intel fan is the culprit on mine, as it was never that noisy before the new processor.

Comment

No problems with my Nvidia. It's on the lower end a GT 220, 1 GB. I've not had any problems making backup disc with the exceptions of Iron Man 2, Robin Hood and GHTT Greek. I'ved tried 8.0.2.4 beta and though clearly improved there still are slight issues in the same parts of the movies that were giving many problems with the earlier versions of Fab. Now it's just a slight pause at those same parts, if you blink your eyes you'd miss it. Same results on my other computer with an ATI card.

Comment

Originally posted by sandman49 View Post
              I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar issue with your video cards when compressing your file(s)?
              I'm running a custom built, core i7 rig with a GTX 260, built last Oct.
              Nope, no problem here. Using a middle-of-the-road, but solid, 700watt psu.
              As bmiller stated and as I'm sure you're aware, there are many variables to take into account, not the least of which is the size of the psu, but also the quality.

EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

It sounds like they know what they're doing and it's looking like your "beefy" rig...... just wants more power.
              Do you know the make/model # of the "old" and "new" psu?

Interesting thread...thanks for posting
              Last edited by maineman; 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM.
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

no issues here my gtx275 running great.
                how many case fans do you have and size.
                what are your cpu and gpu temperatures ?
                Windows 7 64bit ultimate
                CPU: i7 4770K @4.5 vcore@1.28v temps 27c/67c
                RAM: 16GB DDR3 @2133
                GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
                SSD: 2 X 60GB OCZ vertex 3 RAID 0 (boot drive)
                HHD: 1 TB WD BLK (storage and back up)
                PSU: 760W ,Fans 1x200mm and 2x120mm

Comment

GTX 465 is part of the new FERMI models.

I have not seen the FAN squeel on my GTX485 when using FAB. This would indicate a heat issue in your system and the fan was trying to cool down the card once the GPU was being used. If you had something else that was GPU intensive then you might have seen this in other applications besides FAB. You may want to make sure your card is properly vented and that your case has enough fans to keep your internals cool otherwise your hardware life will be shortened.

There were issues if using CUDA for ripping with the FERMI cards. Latest Beta I have not seen issues on my FERMI GTX 485 except under certain circumstances using the ripper and audio synch. All software solves that and to be honest between using CUDA and software only there is not much difference in conversion times that I've seen on the FERMI. I'm sure FAB will get better.

Most people have older NVidia cards and there were no issues but CUDA support on the FERMI cards took longer to fix because it was so new. Latest video drivers did not matter and FAB has been slowly improving support for the FERMI cards.

Comment

But I have had no issues compressing Blu-Ray with my GTX 485 and no fan nosies. My GPU and FAN hardly increase when compressing using FAB.

Comment

I'm not sure who I'm responding to but in my case (not the computer case) there where issues with the lowest to highest NVIDIA cards. They all did the same thing when the compressing the movie. Squeal

The name on the outside case of the video card is ASUS, but it is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 with all the latest drivers installed. Again since increasing the PS from 750 to 1000 watts has cleared up the noise the card was making during compression.

As far as fans go the PS is mounted at the bottom of the computer case and is 6" in diameter. There are two in the front of the case that are 4" and there are two in the rear that are 4" as well. The top of the case is vented as well but with no fan.

The power supply is a Thermal Take. 1000 watt. Never heard of it before but it is a beast.

Changing the settings from Cuda to Software didn't make a difference. I have not loaded Speed Fan to see what internal CPU and others temps are.

Thanks everyone for responding to this thread. I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

The PSU is what was making the high pitched noise, 750 watts is more than enough for a GTX465. I run a GTX470 and it's recommended to have at least a 550 watt unit but I only have a Thermaltake 650 with no probs except the monthly power bill.

Comment

The original 750 PSU was defiantly not the source of the noise. We tried everything until we removed the video card and replaced it with a video card that took its power from the mother board. We ran the program and started the compression there was no noise.

Once we increased the PSU there was no noise. Baffled all of us.

Comment

Working...
                          X