General Questions about Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Questions about Product

I have a couple questions about this product, specifically in terms of audio / video quality.

I wish to make backup copies of my existing blu's, but I noticed the 50gb disks are pretty pricey.

So, can you copy the movie (just movie, no bonus features or anything else) on to a 25gb blu ray disk without compressing / loosing the HD audio? Same goes for picture quality, will you loose any PQ?

What are some good blank media everyone uses?

Will these created copies play on any blu ray player, specifically a newly created HTPC?

Is the charge a one time fee or is there an annual subscription?

Originally posted by dzirkelb View Post
    I have a couple questions about this product, specifically in terms of audio / video quality.

I wish to make backup copies of my existing blu's, but I noticed the 50gb disks are pretty pricey.

So, can you copy the movie (just movie, no bonus features or anything else) on to a 25gb blu ray disk without compressing / loosing the HD audio? Same goes for picture quality, will you loose any PQ?
    Yes but only if the main movie is small enough to fit on a blank BD-25 otherwise you'll have to use a BD-50 blank or use compression.

What are some good blank media everyone uses?
    Verbatim is usually the recommended media but stay away from the LTH series disc unless you are sure your Burner supports them. I've started using Optical quantum because the price.

Will these created copies play on any blu ray player, specifically a newly created HTPC?
    That's the idea.

Is the charge a one time fee or is there an annual subscription?
    You'll have options of a 1-4 year annual sub or a lifetime sub, the choice is yours. You also have a 30 day trial to decide if you want it or not. Use the trial

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies!

One last question. I am pretty sure there are few movies out there where the movie itself is over 26gb, am I right on that assumptionor is there quite a few movies that would require the 50gb for just the movie copy?

Comment

Only answer I can give accurately on this question is that movies is like a box of chocolate, You never jnow what you're gonna get. lol no pun intended.

Comment

Yup, I hear ya on that. In my experience ripping blu's to my computer using [other software], they have usually been under 25gb, usually right around the 20gb. Is that an accurate measurement or do you think making an mkv file compresses it some what?

All in all, I'll just download the trial and play around, but wanted some heads up while I sit at work thinking about it
          Last edited by Complication; 10-21-2010, 03:24 PM. Reason: removed non-allowed software reference

Comment

Hi dzirkelb,

Please check these threads at http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=8844

Hope this will help you out of making the compressed mkv file question.

Kind regards,
            sunny
            ________
            Box vaporizer
            Last edited by sunny; 04-21-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Does the mkv ripping functionality come with the same program that copy's blu rays? I might change my .mkv ripping program if it does

On a side note, any way to burn an .mkv to a blu ray to play in a player? I highly doubt I will ever do this, but I am getting a 120" screen and I am not sure how my compressed .mkv files will look (look great on 50" plasma). I guess the compressed version would burn compressed to the blu ray, so that would basically be a waste of time huh.

Comment

Originally posted by dzirkelb View Post
                Just for the record, the cheapest prices right now for DL BD-R's can be found on eBay. There is a Japanese seller on there selling shrink wrapped Verbatim (sold as Mitsubishi in Japan) media for $5.50 each now.

Avoid the "repackaged" ones.

He ships promptly and I usually receive my order in 3 days in the states. (He's currently on vacation until 10/25).

Comment

That's a pretty good price, thanks for showing me that

Comment

Ok, i downloaded the trial finally and I created a mkv of my movie Hellboy for testing. This movie has HD audio, and shows HD audio on my receiver when playing the blu ray.

Does anyone know of a player that will play HD audio? I need to check to see if the rip using dvdfab actually ripped my hd audio or not.

I've tried windows media player and it shows no hd audio, power dvd 10 and it shows no hd audio.

I know power dvd 10 will play hd audio as it shows hd audio when I play the blu, but not the mkv.

Any ideas on how to keep hd audio when creating a mkv file? Will burning a copy of the movie Hellboy, for example, keep the HD audio if I can get it to fit on a 25gb blu ray disk?

Comment

Hi dzirkelb,

When you creat mkv file, please don't check the option "Remove HD Audio " in the main screen, then your output files will keep the HD audio for your needs. The same way to keep the HD audio when you use Blu-ray Copy to fit Hellboy on a 25gb blu ray disk.
                      ________
                      Buddhism forum
                      Last edited by sunny; 04-21-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip; however, the "remove hd audio" option is greyed out. Any ideas?

Comment

Ok, I tried another movie, and I see the option to remove HD audio. I made sure it was unchecked, and ripped the movie to a mkv. However, when playing the movie back in power dvd 10, I had no sound what so ever. Playing it back in boxee and wpc provided no hd audio.

My power dvd 10 does output hd audio on blus.

Comment

Working...
                          X