Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fringe, Monsters VS Aliens and GPU Acceleration...OH MY!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fringe, Monsters VS Aliens and GPU Acceleration...OH MY!!!

I finally decided to try out the 30-day-trial of the "blu-ray to blu-ray" feature now that they have the compression option (don't have a blu-ray burner) and have worked out some of the bugs. Overall, it seems to work pretty well on the blu-rays I've tried. I'd like a "Customize" option and "blu-ray to mobile", but fengtao said those are coming soon.

My System Specs:
    -AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 5600 (2.8Ghz) CPU
    -4GB RAM
    -ASUS 1GB ATI Radeon HD4870 VC
    Supported Video Codecs :
    DXVA_MODE_H264
    DXVA_MODE_VC1
    -ASUS BC-06B1ST ATA BD-ROM
    -Windows 7 RC 64-bit OS

First I tried the Fringe TV series BR, season 1, disc 1. No one has mentioned trying out a TV series blu-ray yet (not that I've read anywhere anyway), so I gave it a shot. Since I don't have a BR burner and I don't want to rip an image just to watch on my computer I tried the "Main Movie -> DVD 9, 720p" option. The pilot is 1.5 hours and the other 3 episodes are about an hour each, so it came out to 3h 52m worth of material. Using the 6.1.1.5 beta version the disc loaded up, scanned and chose the correct title, no problem. When I looked at all the titles, besides the title with the entire length of all the episodes on the disc (which is ALL I got), I also expected to see titles for individual episodes, but didn't get that. I'm not really familiar with the intricacies of how a BR disc is laid out, so I assume that when only wanting to view a particular episode when watching the blu-ray, when selected, it jumps to that particular episode in the title?

If this is true though, I also used some 3rd party software on disc 2 to make individual episode .mkv files and had somewhat of the same problem. I would select the relevant .m2ts file in the x:/BMDV/STREAMS sub-folder, but it would tell me the length of each one I selected was the length of all the episodes combined, even though each one was only 7GB in size (size for one episode)! So I ended up demuxing each file individually, then rip it into a .mkv file and that did the trick. So...what went on there? Can anybody explain this? This is an issue that would DEFINITELY need to be addressed for the "Customize" option! (when added) Also, in this beta version of Fab, my GPU acceleration was grayed out, so no support.

Yesterday I upgraded to the newest official release (6.1.2.5) and tried the "Main Movie -> DVD 9, 1080p" option on Monsters VS Aliens. This time, the GPU acceleration feature WAS available, so I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately with no success. It took 5.5 hours to read the disc, then crashed and came up with the "send crash report" dialog box. (Which I filled out and sent in) I thought it might have had something to do with the fact that I had the target drive set the same as my source (I upgraded hard drives and changed all my drive letters), so I changed it to the correct target drive and tried it again overnight. When I got up, I could see the DVD drive hadn't ejected and the computer was still on (set it to turn off when finished) and sure enough the crash dialog was up again. To make a long story short (too late!), I unchecked the GPU acceleration and it copied no problem. In fact, it took 30 minutes less time with the GPU acceleration off! From what I've read on the forum with successes and failures on the GPU acceleration, it seems like only the nVidia chipsets are working. ATI chipsets are a no go!

Once more of the bugs are worked out and everything's set up correctly (and I can afford it), I definitely plan on buying a lifetime upgrade for this and the "blu-ray to mobile" option once released. QUESTION: I bought DVD Fab back when it was in version 3, so I have the lifetime upgrades for "DVD to DVD" and "DVD to mobile", but when I do buy the "blu-ray to blu-ray" option, during checkout, will it ask me if I'm a returning customer and get a new key with my old licenses as well as the new one or will I get a seperate key for blu-ray?
    Last edited by Hectic; 10-29-2009, 05:34 PM.

If memory serves me right, I believe that the "File to Mobile" option handles m2ts files. If that is the case you should be able to process the Blu-ray disc using the Blu-ray to Blu-ray option to remove all protections and create a unprotected disc. Once done, insert the new disc, explore to the stream folder and process the m2ts movie file with the "File to Mobile" option. Just thinking out loud.

Comment

Don't own the "file to mobile" option. Don't really care to either. Interesting idea though.

Comment

Ah. It's all good.

Comment

Basically Blu-ray is set up with playlist files. Those playlists play certain streams of video m2ts and audio. You can use a program called BDInfo to find out which is the main movie.

Comment

Working...
          X