Retaining original image quality vs. Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retaining original image quality vs. Compression

I noticed a lot of people on here use compression. I'm sorry, but I like to retain the original image quality when I make Backup. Especially with Blu-Rays since it's the format that touts image quality. Don't get me wrong, if I can fit the movie only with one audio and one subtitle onto a bd-25 with no compression I will. Extra features I can do without. But for the most part, if I have to use bd-50's I will without hesitation. I guess that's the compulsive side of me knowing that a backup is compressed to me feels like I'm getting lesser quality. Even thought most of us wouldn't know the difference, it would always in the back of my mind. Call me crazy I guess. And I know bd-50's are still a bit pricey. But if you look you can find deals. I'm just curious how other videophiles on here feel about this issue?

You know you exactly read my mind!

I am new in this world (since 2 weeks) and here is what I have to say.

First I am a videophile and audiophile, I have a 106'' High Power Da-Lite with a Panasonic PT-AE4000. On a REAL big screen (people often say big screen for 50'' TVs) you can see every details and I was really afraid about compression. I have done an A/B test with Avatar.

What I have done:

- RIP all the disk (full disk mode) to hard drive = 43GB
    - Compress to a BD-25 with a software I won't talk about here

I use full disk to have the maximum data to compress, to see how it performs with a high compression ratio, going from 43GB to 23GB (physical capacity of BD-25).

Most of the time, if it requires compression, ratio will be a lot less (maybe 30GB to 23GB) depending on length of the movie, audio, etc...

The results are pretty amazing, don't go wrong it's really high def, I did not see any artifacts or compression issue. It look waaaay better than any HD broadcasts. What I saw from a videophile view is that the details are a little bit softer, less 3D than the original, color a little bit less vibrant but still really amazing. I am sure that for anyone with 60'' or less TVs sitting at 8 feet or more would never notice the difference.

I never thought the backup would look so good, all I can say is that I'm very happy and secure doing backups.

Of course if I want to demo my system to friends, I will use the original but even with the backup, almost everyone would never know that it was compressed.

The only drawback is the incredible amount of time it takes to compress, let's just wait for BD-50 at 1$.

Comment

Working...
    X