Blu Ray versus DVD...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu Ray versus DVD...

I'm wondering if people are selective on which movies they buy on BR format versus DVD? I've read some posts where people aren't sold on BR and they are sticking to DVD. I'm not that extreme and enjoy the video and audio enhancements that come with BR. But since I copy all of my discs to hard drive, I am sensitive to space requirements. Thus, moving forward, I'm curious if I can "mix and match" depending on the benefit that I may or may not get from BR. For example, if I wanted to buy the original Wall Street, does it really matter if that is in BR format? Crackinhedz recently pointed me to Blu-ray.com, and it's review is not good although it still recommends over DVD due to the fact that you can get the BR version so cheap. But is it worth the additional approx. 25Gb?? Even for new movies, let's say "Blind Side", does the BR offer that much benefit over the DVD version?

I tend to lean towards getting the best quailty, especially since I'm archiving and I think the better quality will be appreciated down the line, but I'm curious if people "mix and match" when selecting their movies.

Thanks.

Well, if you're worried about size, just buy the BD then use DVDFab to compress to something a little more manageable. Lets say, just take the "Main Movie" and compress it down to a BD-9 or BD-5, that way you have "basically" BD quality but it's the size of a DVD. This will look way way better than a DVD of the same size, mainly because of the compression codecs used. DVD--> MPEG-2 and BD--> MPEG-4 AVC or VC-1(there are a couple BDs that are MPEG-2, but those are fairly rare). BD codecs are extremely compressable, way more so than DVDs.
    SPECS
    DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
    SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Racem22, that's actually a good idea that I hadn't thought of. I will test that and see how I like it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_NYC View Post
        Racem22, that's actually a good idea that I hadn't thought of. I will test that and see how I like it. Thanks!
        The only one thing I want to add to my friend's Racem22 comment is that BD9 or BD5 will have a BD structure. In other words, they could only be played on Blu-ray player. DVD player wouldn't play it.
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
        X