Audio badly out of sync.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio badly out of sync.

Oh dear; what has happened with the addition of the 3:2 pulldown.

Presumably this has been added to give a genuine 29.97 fps NTSC DVD output format from a 23.976 fps Blu-ray original, although, if I am wrong, I am sure Fengtao will tell me.

Unfortunately it has had the effect of causing an 800mS delay to the audio: the effect did not exist with either 8.0.5.6 or 8.0.5.8 and the logs don't show any difference either, so whatever is going on it is internal to 8.0.5.9 only.

This step is unnecessary as the DVD specification includes 23.976 fps for NTSC DVD's ( it's called "NTSC Film"); the spec mandates that the player does a 3:2 pulldown to give "proper" 29.97 fps NTSC interlaced output to the TV.

The terms "NTSC Blu-ray" and "PAL Blu-ray" are misleading as the video signal encoding on Blu-ray discs, as on DVD's, is component related; the terms are, I think, a hangover from the region codes indicating the prevalent TV broadcast standards in the associated areas.

Whatever the intention, I believe things need to be restored to the status of 8.0.5.6 before proceeding further.

23.976 fps Blu-ray discs can stay as 23.976 fps for the DVD and, as this is related to the NTSC part of the DVD spec, this will always be associated with a resolution of 704 x 480 (i.e. 480i).

Contrariwise, 25 fps Blu-ray's convert to PAL DVD's at 25 fps, as they do already, and a resolution of 720 x 576 (i.e. 576i).

The awkward one is, of course, the pure "Film" framerate of 24 fps as this is not accommodated by the DVD specification. Either we should speed-up to 25 fps (+4%), as was done for telecine in PAL areas, or, and perhaps more acceptable as it involves a much smaller change of audio pitch and film duration, a slow-down to 23.976 fps (-0.1%). In either case, the video change is trivial while the audio will need to be re-sampled and remuxed taking great care not to introduce noticeable sync errors.

Thanks for your feedback. We will fix audio delay problem.

For the 2:3 pulldown, it's needed since some players may have serious stutter problem. We will consider to add an option to enable it or not.
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Please try DVDFab 8060 to see the result:

Thanks!
      DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
      http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Sorry to be tardy in reply - other commitments.

Downloaded 8.0.6.1

Problem solved - audio and video now in sync.

Many Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X