Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Questions

Hi All,
    I have been using the free version of DVD Fab for a few years and bought the licences for Video Converter and DVD Copy last night.
    I have a couple of questions that I hope don't cause too many face-palms.

1) Is it possible to to convert a DVD to a format I can watch on my TiVo?
    2) Is this a single file?
    3) I started to try to convert the files on my PC from a DVD I ripped into the \VIDEO_TS folder. DVD Fab opened a list of files but DVD Fab could not open all of the *.VOB files. What have I done wrong?
    4) Can I install the software on my Laptop in addition to my PC so I can use when my PC is being used by others?
    5) I burnt a DVD DL last night but the DVD failed to read after it was burnt. Should I expect the odd failure?

To convert to a format the TiVo will play you need DVDFab DVD Ripper as Video Converter is to convert already mobile formats like avi, mp4 to other format like mkv. As for other problem

Help Us Help You

If you are posting about an operational problem with one of the DVDFab products, you will improve the speed and accuracy of the response by providing some information in the very first post that will probably be needed.

First, make note of any error codes or messages that appear in popup boxes and put them in your post. Information on error codes that appear in the DVDFab UI are captured in one of the logs we request below.

DVDFab keeps logs of its activities that supply basic system information and can help pinpoint where and when an error happened and help pinpoint the cause. The default location for these logs on most Windows systems is:

C:\Documents and Settings\your username\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

The logs are simple text files that can be opened with Windows Notepad if you want to read them. If the size exceeds the forum’s attachment size limit, you may need to delete older entries or copy and paste the relevant ones into a new file. The log files can be attached to a post using the "Manage Attachments" button below the editing box.

dvdfab_burn_vso.log Attach for all problems. The entries are time stamped with the most recent at the top.

dvdfab_burn_imgburn.log Attach if you have ImgBurn set as the burning engine and the problem concerns disc burning. Time stamped with the most recent at the bottom.

dvdfab_process.log Attach if DVDFab crashes and the crash report window does not come up or complete correctly or if internal error codes appear in the DVDFab window (“Task Failed…”). Time stamped, most recent at the bottom.

dvdfab_internal.log Attach for all problems. Time stamped, most recent at the bottom. Please edit to include only the most recent or relevant log session.

Other Information:

Depending on the nature of the problem, it can help to know:
    If this happens with all discs or just one
    Your operating system/CPU/memory configuration
    If you are using external hard drives or optical drives
    If you have made any recent changes to your OS or system hardware
    If you have other DVD or BD software installed, particularly if recently added.

Posts with all the requested information will be answered first.

Comment

I realise there may be something I am missing...

1) If I convert a DVD to a format I can watch on my TiVo, is this a single file?
      2) Can I install the software on my Laptop in addition to my PC so I can use when my PC is being used by others?
      3) I burnt a DVD DL last night but the DVD failed to read after it was burnt. Should I expect the odd failure?
      4) Could I change a licence for DVD Fab Video Converter to DVDFab DVD Ripper? You mentioned I have have not bought the correct software.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LukeWarm; 12-26-2010, 07:46 AM. Reason: added attachments

Comment

Originally posted by LukeWarm View Post
        I realise there may be something I am missing...

1) If I convert a DVD to a format I can watch on my TiVo, is this a single file?
        2) Can I install the software on my Laptop in addition to my PC so I can use when my PC is being used by others?
        3) I burnt a DVD DL last night but the DVD failed to read after it was burnt. Should I expect the odd failure?
        4) Could I change a licence for DVD Fab Video Converter to DVDFab DVD Ripper? You mentioned I have have not bought the correct software.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'll attempt your questions one at a time...

1.) If this question is being asked with you as a watcher, it'll make no difference whether it's a single file or multiple files... if you're asking as one who will need to organize the files, best you read up on Tivo requirements to see how they need files set up for ease of use... (the file formats Tivo can use will answer that question).

2.) Yes... no problem at all... just make sure that both computers aren't running Fab simultaneously, or you risk having your key blacklisted and will lose the functions you purchased.

3.) Taking this question the way you meant to ask it, rather than the way you did (burned a disk using a DVD burner in your computer, rather than burnt a disk by holding it over an open flame), there is nothing in your submitted vso burn.log to support your claim. Looks like you came very close once, but pulled the blank disc before the program really got started.
        If you're not using Made In Singapore Verbatims as your media-of-choice for DL discs, then it would be far more correct to say that you may expect the odd success.
        Otherwise, you're turning your home into a coaster factory.

4.) Your best bet here will be to contact Fab support, as only they can do the switch for you. Go to the main Fab web site, support, and you may have to set up an account there (that's where you'll D/L your new, adjusted key), and drop them a note.

Good luck burning!

DC

Comment

Thanks DC, I appreciate the help.
          1) I tried two file formats so far for the TiVo. I had already copied the DVD to the Video_TS folder so all I needed to do was select that folder as the source and, using DVD Ripper, select MP4 as the output. Once I made the file, I asked the TiVo to transfer it. The TiVo started the transfer, but canceled it after a few seconds. It displayed a message saying there was digital rights management preventing the transfer. I am not sure if that's true or a default message for failure.
          I then tried the AVI output using generic.avi.divx. That took less time than the mp4 and is a slightly larger file but it is transferring to the TiVo now. It plays perfectly.
          So far, I have only tried it with a single file as the output. It's about 1 Gig.
          3) Lol, no open flames, but yes, now I have a coaster. The log files I attached were too big so I did a bit of butchering. I may have cut out the relevant info... Sorry. I'll check out the brand of the blank DVD's. It's the first time I have used my new DVD burner as well...too many variables in play.
          4) Thanks, I checked in the FAQ and purchased the package I want. (Copy and Rip) I hope they can help by refunding for my original package (Copy and Convert).
          Thanks again DC and again, sorry about the newbie questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeWarm View Post
            Thanks DC, I appreciate the help.
            1) I tried two file formats so far for the TiVo. I had already copied the DVD to the Video_TS folder so all I needed to do was select that folder as the source and, using DVD Ripper, select MP4 as the output. Once I made the file, I asked the TiVo to transfer it. The TiVo started the transfer, but canceled it after a few seconds. It displayed a message saying there was digital rights management preventing the transfer. I am not sure if that's true or a default message for failure.
            I then tried the AVI output using generic.avi.divx. That took less time than the mp4 and is a slightly larger file but it is transferring to the TiVo now. It plays perfectly.
            So far, I have only tried it with a single file as the output. It's about 1 Gig.
            3) Lol, no open flames, but yes, now I have a coaster. The log files I attached were too big so I did a bit of butchering. I may have cut out the relevant info... Sorry. I'll check out the brand of the blank DVD's. It's the first time I have used my new DVD burner as well...too many variables in play.
            4) Thanks, I checked in the FAQ and purchased the package I want. (Copy and Rip) I hope they can help by refunding for my original package (Copy and Convert).
            Thanks again DC and again, sorry about the newbie questions.

I doubt the transfer that was cancelled on you was a default message from Tivo... I'll probably be corrected on this, but I think Tivo has a form of DRM built in that recognized a code on the file not removed by Fab that triggered the transfer stoppage and subsequent message.

If the .avi worked OK with no message, then stick with that format. It'll also leave you with one file for your film (less the menus, as I believe AVI doesn't support menus).

No need to apologize about being a newbie... we all started there, and know exactly what it's like.

A few months from now, all that seems like too many variables now, you'll breeze through like a pro.

On your next problem, please don't edit the log... that's where we see what's going wrong.

All the best.

DC

Comment

Working...
            X