Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copied DVD looks great on TV but bad on computer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copied DVD looks great on TV but bad on computer...

I tried to do some searching around for this question on the DVDFab forums but didn't find anything specifically. Sorry if this has been addressed before.

DVDFab did a great job on copying a DVD of mine - looks great on my standard def TV with no problems (as great as SD can get). However, the video quality when playing the DVD through my laptop is pretty horrendous. Artifacts and "blocky colors" pop up all over.

As a preface, I do understand that video quality / formatting is different for TV than it is for computer screens - specifically the size of the video and the interlacing aspects. I've done a little bit of reading on the web to understand the differences.

What makes this situation interesting is that my "original" DVD's look great on both the TV and the laptop. The "original" DVD does show some slight color variances on the laptop but doesn't have the artifact or "blocky colors" issue that the burned copy does. So the question is: "What's the difference between the burned and original copies?"

I looked around for any extra settings but I didn't see any for DVD Copy.

Thanks for any help or info!

~ Rytz

If you are copying from DVD9 to DVD5, there may be a loss of quality dependent upon the amount of compression required.

But this does not sound like that. It sounds like the laptop drive is not keeping up with the playback speed required.

Lappy drives are a perennial problem but it also may be the media you are using or the speed that you are burning.

More info required.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi Rytz
      To add more to what GregiBoy was asking we will need to see your logs to investigate this further the default location is:
      For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s) and post right here.
      CBR929
      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thanks for the speedy replies. I've attached my program logs below.

I played the burned DVD on another laptop (different dvd player) it definitely seemed to improve visually over the laptop I originally tried. It seems to look more like the "commercial" type of result.

So, based on what GregiBoy said, the problem seems to be that the disc itself isn't being read right? Like something that's different with commercial discs vs. blank / burned discs? At least for that particular DVD player in the laptop?
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Rytz
          This is as GregiBoy and I also suspected
          2010-12-29 09:02:02 Info Writing speed requested x8.0, effective x8.0
          2010-12-29 09:02:01 Info Available write speed: 8x ,6x ,4x ,2.4x
          2010-12-29 09:02:01 Info Media ID: RITEKF1
          First the media you are using is considered Garbage "Sorry"
          Consider picking up some Tayio Yuden or Verbatim with the "AZO" dye on the label.
          If you want to salvage the disc's you have consider installing ImgBurn you will find it here along with a tutorial on how to set it up with Fab http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=33 remember to set up the AWS in ImgBurn, and your burn speed to 1/2 the rated speed for your disc's in this case would be 4x
          Give this a try and post back
          CBR929
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Comment

I have a hunch it’s the graphics capability of the laptop Rytz. I have a laptop with some generic shared memory on board graphics that is the same as yours when it comes to playback of a dvd. Since it plays back on the TV but not on your laptop I don’t suspect the burn quality as much as the computer.

BTW I am not contradicting my friends GregiBoy and CBR929’s excellent advice that should be heeded.
            Last edited by 90312; 12-30-2010, 02:14 AM.
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
              I have a hunch it’s the graphics capability of the laptop Rytz.
              Yup, I got a hunch that your hunch is right on the money...
              Agree with my pals above too..

As marginal as some onboard graphics are, I'm still kinda surprised playback is that bad, but it is what it is.

Out of curiosity, how old is this beastie? make & model?
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks all for the help and info. I'll go pick up some new media today and try those with ImgBrn and report back.

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                Out of curiosity, how old is this beastie? make & model?
                The laptop that I was having playback issues with is an HP Pavilion DV9000 (2007-2008) with Windows 7 (originally with Vista). Never had any problems with it. The DVD drive in it is nothing special I'm sure.

Comment

mpeg2 decoder?

Comment

Just following up - I bought some Verbatim DVD-R's (they are labeled as "Digital Movie" discs) and started burning the DVD's at 2x with ImgBurn and the movies are playing good on both the standard DVD player and the computer.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Rytz View Post
                      Just following up - I bought some Verbatim DVD-R's (they are labeled as "Digital Movie" discs) and started burning the DVD's at 2x with ImgBurn and the movies are playing good on both the standard DVD player and the computer.

Thanks for the help!
                      Glad to hear you're up and burning successfully.
                      Very odd that the media fails to play well in a burner and yet plays well on a standalone, but hey, it works.
                      Always a good idea to use quality media. It's not just the burn process and compatibilty of the media, but also the longevity of the bkup itself.
                      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hi Rytz
                        I am also glad to hear that you are up and burning again
                        CBR929

Comment

Working...
                        X