Compressing ISO File?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compressing ISO File?

Well, I've been happily ripping away for a few months now, using the latest DVDFab DVD-to-DVD option to takes movies from my DVD's into ISO files that are stored on my 2 terrabyte Iomega Screen Director Plus. My setup is simply the Iomega Screen Director Plus feeding a 40" LCD flatscreen.

However, I am concerned about the overall size of the ISO files. Most are around 3 1/2 to 5 gb, but I have one movie (Apocalypse Now Redux) that came in at a whopping 8 gb! Files that size will eat up the 2 terrabytes in short order.

So I have tried other formats, trying to get the file size down while maintaining the quality.

At first I attempted a straight DVDFab rip (VOB to VOB) combined with a DivX conversion. This got the movie size down to about 25% of the ISO, but the quality of the picture was noticably poorer.

I've tried AVI and MK4 formats, but haven't been happy with the results (both in regards to the quality of the resulting movies and the 4 to 8 hours spent converting them!).

Without wasting more time, is it even possible to compress the DVD down AND maintain the quality of the ISO image? If not, I'll continue merrily on my way until I fill my drive, and then wait patiently for a 4 terrabyte device!

Many people are happy with MKV H264 audiocopy with a bitrate around 2000bps. You might try that. You can improve the conversion speed if you can use your video card to help the encode.

Comment

Hi, socker

Please check "Quality" which is under the fulldisc main window if it is "DVD5".
      Maybe you select "DVD9".

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, I have been selecting DVD9...assuming it was a higher quality than DVD5.

I know - getting angels to dance on the head of a pin. I want first-run theater quality in a 200 meg file!

Comment

I had great early success with a particular profile developed by my good friend GregiBoy, who has been doing this professionally for years.
          Give it a shot and tinker as you like.
          Ultimately, you're looking at a reduction of about 20-25% of the original size.

Here you go:

samsung.avi.h264.audiocopy.txt
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
          X