This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD player says "This disc is not formatted for this region"

I am a paid user currently running 6.1.2.5. I have been able to burn copies of over 100 DVDs with no issues. What I typically do is copy a DVD to my desktop and then copy that folder to a blank disc. Today, I tried this with two discs from 24 Season 4. The copies went as expected with no errors but when I tried to play them in my DVD player I received the region error with both discs. I went back to check if there was a problem with the copies on my desktop but those played as usual. I also checked the original DVDs and those played as well.

In Settings->Protection->DVD do you have all the RCE options ticked? I generally have EVERYTHING ticked here.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Common Settings -> DVD/Blu-Ray -> Protection -> DVD
      Everything under this section is checked

I have never gone in and changed any of the settings. I basically just stick the disc in, choose source and target, and go. The only possible change that I can think of is that the software asked me to update to the newest version in the past week or so and I did.

Comment

Update to the latest beta 6.2.0.2 and also check that your DVD region has been set.

BTW: Have you checked the original DVD's to see whether they are PAL or NTSC?
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          Update to the latest beta 6.2.0.2 and also check that your DVD region has been set.

BTW: Have you checked the original DVD's to see whether they are PAL or NTSC?
          I will proceed with the update and see what happens. I'm not sure how or where to check/change the DVD region.

PAL/NTSC: I'm not sure what the original DVDs are or how to check but I have no problems with discs 1 and 2 of the season which I copied a week ago. This issue popped up with discs 3 and 4. I would assume that all discs for the same season are the same PAL/NTSC.

Comment

What region do you live in? U.S.A/Canada or another area? Where did you pick these DVDs up? Check the back of the DVD case it will tell you if it Region 1 or another regiona as well In common settings Protection-DVD make sure the remove RCE is set to the area the DVD is from as that I think is the problem

Comment

Installed the new beta version, retried one of the DVDs, and came up with the same result (region issue).

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
              What region do you live in? U.S.A/Canada or another area? Where did you pick these DVDs up? Check the back of the DVD case it will tell you if it Region 1 or another regiona as well In common settings Protection-DVD make sure the remove RCE is set to the area the DVD is from as that I think is the problem
              I am in the US. The original DVDs are from a major American store. They are not from overseas or wherever you get non-correct region DVDs. Also, the originals will play in the DVD player so that wouldn't seem to be the issue.

All of the boxes under Protection -> DVD are checked. The "Remove RCE" region is set to 1 US/Canada.

Comment

OK what is the blank media you are using?

Comment

What happens when you re-rip one of the ones that worked before?

Comment

Using Verbatim DVD-R blank media. I have a pack of 100. I have successfully used about 70 of them with zero failures previous to this.

I retried a DVD that had worked before. This time, the DVD player says "unable to read disc." I am assuming the reason is the same. I am currently trying another previously successful DVD and will report the results when I have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Keynes View Post
                      Using Verbatim DVD-R blank media. I have a pack of 100. I have successfully used about 70 of them with zero failures previous to this.

I retried a DVD that had worked before. This time, the DVD player says "unable to read disc." I am assuming the reason is the same. I am currently trying another previously successful DVD and will report the results when I have them.
                      OK I kinda thought you might be using DVD+R and the DVD player not support it but you are not using them. Are you using the internal VSO burn engine that installs with DVDFab if you are try giving ImgBurn a try. Here is link for how to use ImgBurn with DVDFab and download link as well for ImgBurn

Comment

Originally posted by Keynes View Post
                        Thanks for the additional info. This is exactly what I was about to ask...
                        I suspect your standalone player is going belly-up.

To recap:
                        The Verbatim blank media that has played consistently well is now failing to play in the standalone...and previously burned media that played without issue is now failing to play in this same player.
                        Meanwhile, these discs all play in your pc?

You can try cleaning the lens on your standalaone...you .might see improvement for awhile, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
                        Do you have another standalone player?

How much mileage on this puppy?
                        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

maineman is correct. I had to replace my old dvd player when I went with dual layer verbatim's, and after awhile it just would not read any of my backup's. If I was you I would purchase an up converting dvd player. (preferably with hdmi and p scan) I went through 2 units before I found one that played everything. If you have an lcd t.v It can improve picture quality. too

Comment

I retried another DVD that had previously been successful. The copy was able to play.

To recap, 24 Season 4 Discs 1 and 2 had no issue. Discs 3 and 4 said not formatted for this region. I also tried two of my DVDs that had worked before. One played and the other did not. At no point, during this testing process did I change any settings. Currently, all boxes under the protection settings are checked.

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                              OK I kinda thought you might be using DVD+R and the DVD player not support it but you are not using them. Are you using the internal VSO burn engine that installs with DVDFab if you are try giving ImgBurn a try. Here is link for how to use ImgBurn with DVDFab and download link as well for ImgBurn
                              I have no idea with ImgBurn or VSO is. I never leave DVDFab during the process so I would guess that I'm using the internal VSO. As a side note, I have also used DVD+R (a pack of 50) in the past and all of those played with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X