No announcement yet.

Tiling and Freezing Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'll stay with VOS as the Img seems a bit more techy for me (too many options to remember) and I don't want to fix what isn't broken right now, but I did change to 8x.

As for DVD+R vs. DVD-R, I did check off to set up booktyping, but not exactly sure if that was necessary given this remark "As well may need to make sure you burner supports booktyping." Which burner? I thought DVDFab was my burner. So far the DVD+R's have been playing on my Toshiba DVD Player, but if I upgrade to a newer DVD or Blu-Ray player in the future that may not be Toshiba for instance, might I lose the ability to playback these discs? Either of them for that matter, the -Rs or +Rs???

Something else I wondered since I'm unable to easily find the command for it . . . is DVDFab able to play the DVD after it has been copied and burned as well. I usually use InterVideo to view after I've burned to be sure the copy is correct before deleting the movie folder. Does DVDFab do this as well??? If so, how do I access it. I've tried reading through the tutorial but haven't seen anything obvious to this as yet.

Comment

Burner = hardware
      Burn engine = software,
      (ie., VSO, Img, Nero are all able to be integrated within Fab as the burn engine. VSO actually comes bundled with Fab as said previously).

Often a burner has the ability to bitset (or booktype) DVD +R media to DVD-ROM by virtue of its firmware.
      "Firmware is a software program or set of instructions programmed on a hardware device."

Some burners do not have this capability

Frequently, a burner that has no native bitsetting capability is able to bitset the media with the burn engine such as VSO and Img.
      There are also external utilities and modified (unofficial) firmwares for this purpose.

-R media cannot be bitset.

No Fab is not a software player.

I'm not a fan of Intervideo...JMO
      Two of the best software players available are free and easy to use:
      (click on the links)

VLC

Media Player Classic

Comment

Thank you so much for the info and I did download Media Player Classic as an alternate to InterVideo. I must say that your explanation is a bit too advanced for my brain to wrap around so I'd like to just ask the same questions as I did in my most recent post.

#1 - I'm not quite sure what the major difference is pro or con in using VSO or Img so I guess I'll just stay with VSO since Img seems more involved and difficult to recall what to do each time. My brain isn't as young as it once was.

#2 - Really don't understand the bitset/booktype stuff, but don't want to continue using the +Rs if I may run into problems down the road. So far the DVD+R's have been playing on my Toshiba DVD Player, but if I upgrade to a newer DVD or Blu-Ray player in the future that may not be Toshiba for instance, might I lose the ability to playback these discs? Either of them for that matter, the -Rs or +Rs??? Should I keep the booktyping box checked?

Thanks so much again.

Comment

Originally posted by dtbm51 View Post
          #1 - I'm not quite sure what the major difference is pro or con in using VSO or Img so I guess I'll just stay with VSO since Img seems more involved and difficult to recall what to do each time. My brain isn't as young as it once was.
          There's nothing wrong with using VSO.
          I used it for years without much issue, but I prefer Img.
          VSO tends to be problematic for quite a few users and Img overall, is much more configurable and reliable.
          Since youu have no problems with VSO, this becomes a matter of personal preference.

#2 - Really don't understand the bitset/booktype stuff, but don't want to continue using the +Rs if I may run into problems down the road. So far the DVD+R's have been playing on my Toshiba DVD Player, but if I upgrade to a newer DVD or Blu-Ray player in the future that may not be Toshiba for instance, might I lose the ability to playback these discs? Either of them for that matter, the -Rs or +Rs??? Should I keep the booktyping box checked?
          It's very unlikely that you'll run into problems with +R media and new hardware.
          However, simply keep the booktype box checked.
          This can do no harm, but will avert any potential problem.

You know the saying,
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

You're very welcome

Comment

Perfect! Thanks again.

On a different note since you are so informative, I currently download videos from YouTube or other sites using RealPlayer, then likewise burn from RP to a disc. Does DVDFab also have this ability, to take files from RP and burn them much in the way I do with movies???

Comment

Perfect! Thanks again.
              On a different note since you are so informative, I currently download videos from YouTube or other sites using RealPlayer, then likewise burn from RP to a disc. Does DVDFab also have this ability, to take files from RP and burn them much in the way I do with movies???
              Nah, not with DVD Copy as this module will only handle files in standard dvd compliant structure.
              The youtube files are .flv format, a type of flash video
              Ultimately, you could use Fab Video Converter, but there are easier, cheaper (as in free) methods.

What are you using for playback?....a standalone dvd player to a TV?
              While there are free conversion utilities and free burn utilities, why bother?
              Just download and install YouTube Downloader which will also convert the files to a variety of formats including mpeg-4, iPod, PSP, etc., etc.
              There also are other utilities available like clipextractor and youtube downloader/converter. Just google them

Your Toshiba and more than likely your Blu-ray standalone will have usb input.
              Just put the files on a flash drive and don't even hassle with burning discs

Comment

Working...
              X