DMA Reset not fixing slow copy speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mtdewangel
    Visit your computer manufactures site and see if there is any firmware updates for your drive.
    Also for burning, the media you are using is considered some of the worst out there, sorry
    Consider picking up some Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, with the AZO dye on the label.
    As suggested give you drive and also computer a good cleaning, one little spec of dust on a laser can cause havoc on your drive.
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Mtdewangel View Post
      Maybe I'm having a bad day, but you seem to be coming off a bit rude. I answered the best way I know how. The DVD was cleaned by my husband with a microfiber cloth. He's never had a problem with judging if one is clean, so I'm taking his word that it is clean. I have looked at it myself and it looks clean to me.

I can not find the MODE you're speaking of. You informed me to look for a log that is longer then 11-12 as that isn't a real log. Well the only "long" one is dated March 10th and that isn't the day I had the problem. Sorry to hear you find that an excuse. I will post what my computer has logged up to March 10th which is the most recent "long" log.

I have also asked if someone can help me reset the DMA through the Window Device Manager as I have no idea where that is on my computer or how to find it.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

As has been pointed out, it looks like the disk you're trying to copy may be a problem... or it may be the DVD Drive itself starting to fail.

A simple test will help determine which.

Take an already copied source disk (one that copied in what you have become accustomed to treating as 'normal' time) and try copying it again. If it performs the same as before, then your problem disk is THE problem, and should be returned for exchange.

If, on the other hand, this test gives you the same results as the problem disk, then your drive may be on the verge of failure. Fortunately, they're fairly inexpensive to replace.

To change your PIO/DMA setting from Windows, click on the Start button on your desktop and select Control Panel. With Control Panel running, click on the System icon. When that's up, click on the Hardware tab. Your first option there should be Device Manager. Click on it, and when all the devices are loaded and showing on the list, select the IDE/ATA-ATAPI Controller item and click it. That should bring up a list including Primary and Secondary devices. If you only have one DVD Drive, RIGHT click on the first primary device, and select Properties. With that up, select Advanced Settings and you'll then see the PIO/DMA status for your DVD Drive (it can also be reset from where you are).

Good Luck!

DC

Last edited by Blazkowicz; 03-19-2011, 12:03 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
        As has been pointed out, it looks like the disk you're trying to copy may be a problem... or it may be the DVD Drive itself starting to fail.

A simple test will help determine which.

Take an already copied source disk (one that copied in what you have become accustomed to treating as 'normal' time) and try copying it again. If it performs the same as before, then your problem disk is THE problem, and should be returned for exchange.

If, on the other hand, this test gives you the same results as the problem disk, then your drive may be on the verge of failure. Fortunately, they're fairly inexpensive to replace.

To change your PIO/DMA setting from Windows, click on the Start button on your desktop and select Control Panel. With Control Panel running, click on the System icon. When that's up, click on the Hardware tab. Your first option there should be Device Manager. Click on it, and when all the devices are loaded and showing on the list, select the IDE/ATA-ATAPI Controller item and click it. That should bring up a list including Primary and Secondary devices. If you only have one DVD Drive, RIGHT click on the first primary device, and select Properties. With that up, select Advanced Settings and you'll then see the PIO/DMA status for your DVD Drive (it can also be reset from where you are).

Good Luck!

DC

I'm inclined to think it's not the disc itself since I just tried to rip a different one and it took over 1hr. My husband just told me we started having slow speeds after downloading the update before this one. Not sure if that would matter though.

If my drive is on the verge of failure, wouldn't my burn speeds be slow also? My husband wanted me to redownload DVDFab which I did, but it didn't change the rip speed problem. It will suck if it's the actual drive since we have no extra $$ right now.

I'm guessing messing with the DMA setting is a mute point by now? Just curious and have to ask this but why is it when you rip it doesn't give you that long log like when you burn to disc?

And if I haven't said it before, thank you for the help!!

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
          Hi Mtdewangel
          Visit your computer manufactures site and see if there is any firmware updates for your drive.
          Also for burning, the media you are using is considered some of the worst out there, sorry
          Consider picking up some Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, with the AZO dye on the label.
          As suggested give you drive and also computer a good cleaning, one little spec of dust on a laser can cause havoc on your drive.
          CBR929
          I will check out their site.

What's wrong with the media we're using? We've been using it for a few years now and haven't had any isses. Have we just been lucky?

Comment

I will check out their site.

What's wrong with the media we're using? We've been using it for a few years now and haven't had any isses. Have we just been lucky?
            Hi Mtdewangel
            Luck is not the word.
            I use to use these also, and having children and watching a movie 3-4 times a year and within that year you have to burn another copy because of freezing issues, or half way through a movie you no longer have sound, it was time to change and I went to Verbatim and have never had another issue since.

If my drive is on the verge of failure, wouldn't my burn speeds be slow also? It will suck if it's the actual drive since we have no extra $$ right now.
            Your burn speeds do seam a little slow, your requesting 8X, but only getting a little over 3-4X.
            Drives are fairly cheap $20-$30 if you need to get one in the future.

Also is your system an older HP desktop??
            You may want to also do regular maintenance on your system like defragging and cleaning of unnecessary junk that gets stored on your computer, a program I use is CCleaner found here
            Hope this helps
            CBR929
            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I'm inclined to think it's not the disc itself since I just tried to rip a different one and it took over 1hr. My husband just told me we started having slow speeds after downloading the update before this one. Not sure if that would matter though.

If my drive is on the verge of failure, wouldn't my burn speeds be slow also? My husband wanted me to redownload DVDFab which I did, but it didn't change the rip speed problem. It will suck if it's the actual drive since we have no extra $$ right now.

I'm guessing messing with the DMA setting is a mute point by now? Just curious and have to ask this but why is it when you rip it doesn't give you that long log like when you burn to disc?

And if I haven't said it before, thank you for the help!!

You're welcome... and I wasn't trying to be rude before... just a little frustrated at the lack of hard info...

The DVDFab burn log comes up a little short on the rip info... (the process log is slightly better), unless you try a burn at the same time as the rip... then the info is more complete (including all the errors...).

Please bear in mind that all the people trying to help here are volunteers (unless you count the occasional post by Fengtao, Xubin, and Ting), and all we're trying to do is help, but none of us were born mind readers, and few (if any) can afford a trip to your home to watch what you do to spot any errors, meaning we have to work by remote control to figure out, solve, and advise on any problems.

Having done it for a few years... NOT easy.

Good luck assembling the $$$ to acquire a new drive...

DC

Comment

If you do not want to burn to get a long burn log try saving as an ISO as DVDFab when creating the ISO uses the burn engine and if I remember correctly a Burn log is created doing it that way just been long time since I tried.

Also you may want to give ImgBurn a try as the Burn engine for DVDFab instead of the VSO burn engine that comes bundled with DVDFab as that may be problem since VSO seems to be problematic for some users

Comment

Hi Mtdewangel,

I read over your thread...well more like parused...so apologies if I've missed something.

I suspect the root cause of your problem is Fab and I think that your burner is still ok.
                  I also think that other users who've posted here have given great advice and frankly,
                  my suspicions are a bit of a shot from the hip.

I was going to recommend a complete uninstall of Fab, registry clean, etc..., but let's try quick and easy first.

Download and run v.8084 Beta found here:

(By the time you read this, 8084 Beta may be linked in the usual Beta thread, but it is not at the time of this post)

Hopefully, your rip speeds have returned to normal, but if no go and if you haven't pulled out all your hair yet, please try the following:

Run

Run the windows cleaner (be certain to tick Old Prefetch Data)
                  Also run the application cleaner.
                  Now, lastly run the registry scan & fix.
                  (Definitely let CCleaner back up your regisrty)

As Darth Copier instructed in post #17, enter device manager.
                  (However, this time it's not to reset DMA which is ok as pointed out by Gruñón)

Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
                  (now click + to expand and I'm willing to bet your burner is on the secondary channel, but please check) >
                  Secondary IDE Channel (right click on secondary IDE channel) >
                  Uninstall

Reboot, XP will recognize, reinstall your burner and assign appropriate drivers automatically.

Reinstall 8084 Beta

Hope this helps

Comment

Looks like there's a new, "fixed" official release, v.8085:

Comment

Working...
                    X