Chapter rew & skip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter rew & skip

Hello all. I've searched this forum looking for an answer but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I apologize if this is a stupid question....how can I record movie chapters so that I can skip through them one chapter at a time? I currently use the "movie only" function, and record all my movies as .iso files w/no compression. For whatever reason, the movie chapter breaks don't tranfer over. What am I doing wrong??

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Originally posted by snakeboots View Post
    Hello all. I've searched this forum looking for an answer but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I apologize if this is a stupid question....how can I record movie chapters so that I can skip through them one chapter at a time? I currently use the "movie only" function, and record all my movies as .iso files w/no compression. For whatever reason, the movie chapter breaks don't tranfer over. What am I doing wrong??

Fairly simple answer to this...

When you play a store-bought DVD, there is a separate little VOB file that contains the screen graphic for that function, and all the address data needed to access the individual chapter start points.

When you do a 'movie only' copy, that info isn't carried over to the copy, so you don't get any chapters with that option. Full disc would work, but even so, there's no way I know of to transfer a film chapter by chapter.

Sorry...

DC

Comment

Originally posted by snakeboots View Post

I just did a movie only of "Stone" and VLC media player picks up the chapter breaks allowing me to skip forward or back. I did rip to hdd to a folder, not an .iso but it still should work.
      What software are you using to playback the .iso file OR are you burning it to a disc? Unless I'm misreading what you are trying to do this should work.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
        Fairly simple answer to this...

When you play a store-bought DVD, there is a separate little VOB file that contains the screen graphic for that function, and all the address data needed to access the individual chapter start points.

When you do a 'movie only' copy, that info isn't carried over to the copy, so you don't get any chapters with that option. Full disc would work, but even so, there's no way I know of to transfer a film chapter by chapter.

Sorry...

DC

Thanks for the response DarthCopier. I just hate doing anything but "Movie Only" because I can't stand menus and all the other junk. Also because I sometimes have a customized trailer playing before the movie and I want the movie to start right afterwards. I guess I'll just have to live with it.
        Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by W&B View Post
          I just did a movie only of "Stone" and VLC media player picks up the chapter breaks allowing me to skip forward or back. I did rip to hdd to a folder, not an .iso but it still should work.
          What software are you using to playback the .iso file OR are you burning it to a disc? Unless I'm misreading what you are trying to do this should work.
          Hi W&B. Thanks for the reply. No, you're not misunderstanding. All I want is to be able to skip forward or back between chapters.

I'm not using software to playback. I rip the movies directly to an external hdd which is then hooked up to a Popcorn Hour Network Media Tank. At first I thought it may have been the Popcorn Hour, so I tried playback using my PS3 w/PS3 Media Server software. Still couldn't get Chapter Skip to work. I then burned one of my movies to disc, but still nothing. That's when I thought I may have configured the DVDFab software incorrectly, which led to my posting here. Another member mentioned that chapters don't transfer over when ripping "Movie Only", but you seem to be doing it just fine.

You said that you rip to a folder, not an .iso. I guess this is probably a separate topic, but I was under the impression (incorrectly??) that uncompressed .iso will give you the best quality rip available. I realize it takes up a lot of room, but since storage is not an issue for me (currently have 10TB hdd) I opted to go with what I thought would give an image as close to the original as possible. Was I wrong? In any case, I have close to 600 movies so I'm not about to spend months re-ripping in a different format

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Not sure about a Popcorn Hour media player or streaming to a PS3 but burning to a disc and playing back should retain the chapter breaks, I have several disc with movie only and they work fine on 3 different stand alone players.
            Yes ripping to an uncompressed .iso will give you a file with quality equal to the original. It's just a disc image with audio and video folder within it.

Comment

Originally posted by W&B View Post
              Not sure about a Popcorn Hour media player or streaming to a PS3 but burning to a disc and playing back should retain the chapter breaks, I have several disc with movie only and they work fine on 3 different stand alone players.
              Yes ripping to an uncompressed .iso will give you a file with quality equal to the original. It's just a disc image with audio and video folder within it.
              Thanks for the reply. I'll try and figure this out and post what I find. I'm sure it's my fault somehow.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X