Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VLC playback issues - VLC or DVDFab 8 to blame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VLC playback issues - VLC or DVDFab 8 to blame?

I think I've narrowed this down to a problem with DVDFab 8, but I'm not sure. I have ripped two DVD's on my Windows 7 OS (was using DVDFab 7 and VLC in XP), and just now watched one. The DVD's copied on XP with DVDFab 7 work fine.

Here are the errors upon opening the VIDEO_TS folder via 'Play with VLC':
    Movie Title: Salt
    Error:
    Playback failure:
    DVDRead could not open the disc "C:\Users\üRabbit\Videos\SALT\VIDEO_TS".
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd://C:\Users\üRabbit\Videos\SALT\VIDEO_TS\'. Check the log for details.
    Movie Title: The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Error
    Playback failure:
    DVDRead could not open the disc "C:\Users\üRabbit\Videos\DAY_THE_EARTH_STOOD_STIL L_2008\VIDEO_TS".
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd://C:\Users\üRabbit\Videos\DAY_THE_EARTH_STOOD_STILL _2008\VIDEO_TS\'. Check the log for details.
    Playback failure:
    DVDRead could not open the disc "C:\Users\üRabbit\Videos\DAY_THE_EARTH_STOOD_STIL L_2008\VIDEO_TS".
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd://C:\Users\üRabbit\Videos\DAY_THE_EARTH_STOOD_STILL _2008\VIDEO_TS\'. Check the log for details.
    Both movies play. However, here is what sets them apart from the DVD's copied with DVDFab 7 in XP, besides the error notifications:
    - Cannot access title screen menus; have to wait for movie to auto-play from menu (this could get annoying if the DVD does not possess the auto-play feature and stays at the main title screen)
    - No subtitles
    - Blip between video files

Also, there are multiple other errors when skipping intro scenes that appear before the title menu.

Hi uRabbit
    I may be wrong but "C:\Users\üRabbit\Videos\SALT\VIDEO_TS".
    The 2 little dots above the "ü" are considered "Illegal Characters" and are not allowed.
    Try doing it with out those Characters and report back.
    CBR929
    Last edited by CBR929; 04-08-2011, 12:57 AM. Reason: text
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
      Hi uRabbit
      I may be wrong but "C:\Users\üRabbit\Videos\SALT\VIDEO_TS".
      The 2 little dots above the "ü" are considered "Illegal Characters" and are not allowed.
      Try doing it with out those Characters and report back.
      CBR929
      I thought this might cause some confusion, so I changed my username to uRabbit. But the file path still has the umlaut.

Comment

You shouldn't be opening the folder like that either.

You should be opening the "SALT" directory above it.

What VLC is doing is opening the individual VOB's in file order.

To retain the DVD playback features open the folder above the VIDEO_TS one!!!
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          You shouldn't be opening the folder like that either.

You should be opening the "SALT" directory above it.

What VLC is doing is opening the individual VOB's in file order.

To retain the DVD playback features open the folder above the VIDEO_TS one!!!
          Tried that as well. However, it does not fix the foreign subtitles issue, or the menu playback issue. I have switched to a beta version of VLC, and it fixed those issues, but not the subtitles one.

I'm on the VLC forums as well, and since I've narrowed it down to VLC, it's safe to assume there's nothing the matter with DVDFab.

Comment

VLC Developer Jean-Baptiste Kempf says there is not a current build of VLC for Windows 7 that works as well as it does in XP. (See here: http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic....295451#p295468)

So, I'm off to look for a player that will actually work.

Comment

Originally posted by uRabbit View Post
              VLC Developer Jean-Baptiste Kempf says there is not a current build of VLC for Windows 7 that works as well as it does in XP. (See here: http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic....295451#p295468)

So, I'm off to look for a player that will actually work.
              Hi uRabbit
              Give this a try MPC found here http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/
              CBR929
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                Hi uRabbit
                Give this a try MPC found here http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/
                CBR929
                Ditto, great advice

Comment

I will definitely try that program when I get home from work today.

I had an idea: would playing from an ISO work better? *shrug* Probably no difference.

Comment

I had an idea: would playing from an ISO work better? *shrug* Probably no difference.
                    Nah, I don't believe this will help, but no harm in trying.

Keep in mind MPC will not handle .ISO files. For MPC, you'd have to mount the .ISO on a virtual drive.
                    Quick, easy and free to mount with Fab Virtual Drive.

Is your VLC build current?
                    I'm using 1.1.8 and running Win 7 Pro 64-bit....no problems.

Personally, I prefer MPC to VLC and I rarely create an .ISO anyway.
                    I archive everything to hdds (incuding standard dvd, BD, .ISO, .avi and .mkv conversions) and play via a media player.

Comment

I have no problems with subtitles using VLC 1.1.8 on Win 7 Ultimate X264...

In fact I have no problems at all with VLC playing Fab rips including menu navigation.........

Tried that as well. However, it does not fix the foreign subtitles issue, or the menu playback issue. I have switched to a beta version of VLC, and it fixed those issues, but not the subtitles one.

I'm on the VLC forums as well, and since I've narrowed it down to VLC, it's safe to assume there's nothing the matter with DVDFab.
                      Last edited by GregiBoy; 04-08-2011, 10:48 PM.
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Upon launch of MPC, it made me aware that my DirectX Runtime is not up-to-date.

Which reminds me... Anyone know of a good program for keeping stuff like that updated? I have CNET Tech Tracker for my programs, but what about the background stuff (i.e. drivers, runtimes, etc.).

Updating runtime, then trying MPC.

Comment

Well, imagine that... Windows Media Center plays all the movies (with subtitles) flawlessly. Why did I not think of that? Haha!

Comment

Foreign subtitles have never worked in VLC. You can select all subtitles and they will work or if the subtitles are embedded they will work, but forced subtitles for small portions that are in a foreign language have never worked.

As far as Media Players in Windows 7 goes, I would save your rips in an ISO format instead of the Folder format. Then use DVDFab Virtual Drive to mount the image and play it in Windows Media Player. Works great.

For most things I've stopped using VLC because it prevents the computer from going to sleep (won't even let it turn off the display) without rebooting after closing VLC.

Comment

Good deal. I'll do that using PowerISO.

Comment

Working...
                              X