Trouble backing up "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble backing up "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest"

Latest version of DVD Fab, tried three times, completes successfully, but playback always freezes in Chapter 8 (different places each time the movie is played; but only in Chapter 8.) This occurs on all three backups.

*Strange thing is, original also freezes in Chapter 8 (different places each time the movie is played; but only in Chapter 8.)

*Can get movies started again by clicking fast forward, then play, but it will freeze a few seconds later.

Starting with Chapter 9 through rest of film, plays perfectly.

Tries a second copy of move friend has, it (original movie) also freezes while in Chapter 8.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by enigma-2; 04-08-2011, 01:55 AM.

Hi enigma-2
    Your drive is in PIO mode, Open Fab Click the Green top right > General > make sure Check for DMA Automatically is Checked and also Click the Reset DMA to the right click OK and restart Fab.

You may also have better luck using ImgBurn as your burn engine, it is "free" and you will find it here http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=33 along with a tutorial on setting it up with Fab.
    Remember if you use ImgBurn to set up the AWS in ImgBurn and set the speed to 1/2 the rated speed of your disc's.

I would also have to say that if the original disc is freezing, then it is a bad disc and you should return it for a new one.
    CBR929
    Last edited by CBR929; 04-08-2011, 02:06 AM. Reason: text
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I'm pretty sure the PIO mode error is a red herring.
      I've seen it reported as a bug in recent versions running VSO.
      There's no way the drive is in PIO and yielding a burn @4X in roughly 22 minutes with DL media.

No harm to reset DMA though, simple click of a button and who knows?

Definitely switch to Img as suggested and follow CBR929's advice set up.

Also, don't take this personally, but the Moser Baer media (MBIPG101-R10-41) is crap.
      Pick up some Verbatim DL...there are a ton of posts here on the forum.
      You might want to check out the blank media thread in the Chat subforum for deals and .

Comment

Originally posted by regnad kcin View Post
        I'm pretty sure the PIO mode error is a red herring.
        I've seen it reported as a bug in recent versions running VSO.
        There's no way the drive is in PIO and yielding a burn @4X in roughly 22 minutes with DL media.

No harm to reset DMA though, simple click of a button and who knows?
        Hi regnad kcin
        I agree with you ,I also realized that it would not hurt to try resetting it. The user requested 4X and got 4.03 as the burn rate, if the drive was actually in PIO mode they would have never reached 4x, so that is why I suggested resetting.
        Exactly no harm.
        I also agree switch to a better media

CBR929
        Last edited by CBR929; 04-08-2011, 03:29 PM. Reason: text
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Follow up

OK, now I understand the problem better.

I can not read any commercial movie all the way through using DVD Fab. I can however, rip the movie by using DVD Decrypter, and then burn it by using DVD Fab. I believe that this started a couple of versions (of DVD Fab) back.

I get no errors at all when using DVD Decrypter; but inconsistent errors when using DVD Fab. (That is, it will always error out when reading, but at different places each time.) (No errors at all using DVD Decrypter.)

All but one movie played fine on the DVD Drive (on computer). That movie had problems when switching layers (consistent). It played fine on regular DVD player on TV. (But it did freeze for a second or two at the same spot, then continues to play).

Any ideas?

Comment

Hi enigma-2,

You are getting a read error so the original DVD might be dirty with fingerprints or may have a scratch, try cleaning it before you start to load it into DVDFab.

Please click the tick green icon button at the right top corner of the DVDFab screen, open "Common Settings" window, click on "Read", select "ignore all the reading errors automatically", you won't get read errors popped up any more. Check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny View Post
              Hi enigma-2,

You are getting a read error so the original DVD might be dirty with fingerprints or may have a scratch, try cleaning it before you start to load it into DVDFab.

Please click the tick green icon button at the right top corner of the DVDFab screen, open "Common Settings" window, click on "Read", select "ignore all the reading errors automatically", you won't get read errors popped up any more. Check it out.
              No dirty disks, no fingerprints. (First thing I suspected).

I can ALWAYS read AND rip the DVD with DVD Descriptor; without any errors at all. I can NEVER read a complete DVD using DVDFab. (I do use DVDs to burn the copy however, so DVD Fab is talking to the LG recorder properly.

I changed the setting "ignore all the reading errors automatically" but it made no difference. Still fails at different places when reading disks. It just stops and states that it can't read the disk at all. (Buffer set to read ahead).

Again, this started a few updates back. Something must have changed in DVDs that doesn't like my system. Frustrating.

Comment

Working...
              X