Planet of the Apes not playing right in VLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planet of the Apes not playing right in VLC

I just ripped Planet of the Apes starring Mark Wahlberg. I did Movie Only, chose only DTS and Dolby 5.1 for sound, and it went fine. However, when watching via VLC player, I noticed that if I selected a scene by using the slider at the bottom, for example going to the 35 minute mark of the movie, the slider moves either behind or ahead of that time. Eseentially, it is not playing where I set the slider to. It happened on another DTS/Dobly 5.1 movie, Star Trek: First Contact. I also noticed that the ripping of the DVDs passed the "Time left". Time left was 0:00:00 at 18 minutes for Apes but it continued for another 4 minutes before DVDFab said that it was done. Has anyone else experienced this with DTS/DD 5.1 DVDs?

DVDFab 8.0.8.5 (2011/04/10 11:37:17)

0m 00.54s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
    0m 12.29s: detected dvd
    0m 12.37s: drive E
    0m 12.37s: dvd type 1
    0m 12.37s: volume label PLANET_OF_APES_CANADA
    0m 14.51s: got copyright 1 fe
    0m 14.96s: got udf/iso
    0m 16.81s: got discinfo
    0m 16.81s: pathplayer enabled
    1m 11.18s: got dvdinfo
    1m 11.46s: opened dvd
    Last edited by Anakin2Vader; 04-10-2011, 06:52 PM.

Originally posted by Anakin2Vader View Post
    I just ripped Planet of the Apes starring Mark Wahlberg. I did Movie Only, chose only DTS and Dolby 5.1 for sound, and it went fine. However, when watching via VLC player, I noticed that if I selected a scene by using the slider at the bottom, for example going to the 35 minute mark of the movie, the slider moves either behind or ahead of that time. Eseentially, it is not playing where I set the slider to. It happened on another DTS/Dobly 5.1 movie, Star Trek: First Contact. I also noticed that the ripping of the DVDs passed the "Time left". Time left was 0:00:00 at 18 minutes for Apes but it continued for another 4 minutes before DVDFab said that it was done. Has anyone else experienced this with DTS/DD 5.1 DVDs?

DVDFab 8.0.8.5 (2011/04/10 11:37:17)

The info you included isn't telling us much about the playback characteristics, or the system it's being played on.

VLC isn't yet bug free, depending on what O/S you're using. A spokesperson for VLC recently admitted that that they haven't got the program working yet in Windows 7 as well as it works in XP (no comment on Vista). That may contribute to your playback problem and slider setting, as the movie progresses.

With regards to the Fab timer, and the actual finish of a process, while I'll admit it can be visually distracting, it's really only a 'cosmetic' flaw, as it doesn't seem to affect the operation of the program. I'm sure others will have more on that topic, and I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix.

Personally, I haven't experienced either problem myself... yet...

DC

Last edited by AGJ; 04-12-2011, 05:34 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Comment

I have an AMD Athlon 64 5400+, 2 Gb RAM, running XP Home SP3. It's an older machine but it runs other ripped DVD movies on VLC just fine. Can't figure this one out. The "seek" arrow, think that's what it's normally called, just won't go to the right place with those two movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Anakin2Vader View Post
        I have an AMD Athlon 64 5400+, 2 Gb RAM, running XP Home SP3. It's an older machine but it runs other ripped DVD movies on VLC just fine. Can't figure this one out. The "seek" arrow, think that's what it's normally called, just won't go to the right place with those two movies.
        Hi Anakin2Vader,

Have you tried using another video player(such as MPC-HC) to play these two copied dvd movies? If not, give it a try and see the result.

You can download and install MPC-HC(freeware) at http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ .

Anny

Comment

Hi Anakin2Vader,

Which version of VLC did you use? I just tried VLC 1.1.4 which appeared the same problem as yours "selected a scene by using the slider at the bottom, the slider moves either behind or ahead of that time, it is not playing where I set the slider to."

Did you try upgrading to the latest VLC 1.1.9?

Comment

Hi Sunny,

Yes, I have the latest VLC player. Still experiencing the same problem. Haven't tried MPC-HC yet though.

Comment

Working...
            X