Disc plays fine, won't copy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disc plays fine, won't copy?

I attempted to copy a disc to my hard drive. The disc opened, was recognized and analyzed. I tried to make an iso of the disc, but after 38%, the disc came up with a "error while reading." I attempted a second time in a different drive, and same thing.

The disc doesn't look like it has any scratches or problems that would prevent reading, so I tried to play it on my system, it played fine. The disc also plays fine in my stand alone system. Any thoughts as to while the failure to copy? Here's the logs.

Thanks.

2011-04-26 15:54:49 ---- ******************** Log session stop 26-Apr 15:54:49.728 PID 5108********************
    2011-04-26 15:37:21 Info Current Drive selected : 1:0:0 - LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S 9L09 [E] (Ide)
    2011-04-26 15:37:21 Info Using Advanced SPTI interface
    2011-04-26 15:37:21 Info System default language : English (United States)
    2011-04-26 15:37:21 Info User default language : English (United States)
    2011-04-26 15:37:21 Info DLL Version : 4.0.15.480
    2011-04-26 15:37:21 Info DLL : C:\Program Files\DVDFab 8\vso_hwe.dll
    2011-04-26 15:37:21 Info Version : 8, 0, 8, 5
    2011-04-26 15:37:21 Info ExeName : C:\Program Files\DVDFab 8\DVDFab.exe
    2011-04-26 15:37:21 Info OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
    2011-04-26 15:37:21 ---- ******************** Log session start 26-Apr 15:37:21.152 PID 5108********************

DVDFab 8.0.8.5 (2011/04/26 12:27:08)

0m 01.68s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1

DVDFab 8.0.8.5 (2011/04/26 14:49:16)

0m 00.75s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
    0m 10.21s: detected dvd
    0m 10.25s: drive J
    0m 10.25s: dvd type 1
    0m 10.25s: volume label WILD
    0m 13.40s: got copyright 1 fe
    0m 13.79s: got udf/iso
    0m 15.71s: got discinfo
    0m 15.73s: pathplayer enabled
    0m 31.01s: got dvdinfo
    0m 31.04s: opened dvd

14:50:43: Analyzing of DVD started
    14:50:54: Analyzing of DVD completed successfully
    14:50:54: Copy process started
    15:01:34: Task_1 failed! Error=102()

Originally posted by JohninLA View Post
    I attempted to copy a disc to my hard drive. The disc opened, was recognized and analyzed. I tried to make an iso of the disc, but after 38%, the disc came up with a "error while reading." I attempted a second time in a different drive, and same thing.

The disc doesn't look like it has any scratches or problems that would prevent reading, so I tried to play it on my system, it played fine. The disc also plays fine in my stand alone system. Any thoughts as to while the failure to copy? Here's the logs.

Thanks.

DVDFab 8.0.8.5 (2011/04/26 14:49:16)

0m 00.75s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
    0m 10.21s: detected dvd
    0m 10.25s: drive J
    0m 10.25s: dvd type 1
    0m 10.25s: volume label WILD
    0m 13.40s: got copyright 1 fe
    0m 13.79s: got udf/iso
    0m 15.71s: got discinfo
    0m 15.73s: pathplayer enabled
    0m 31.01s: got dvdinfo
    0m 31.04s: opened dvd

14:50:43: Analyzing of DVD started
    14:50:54: Analyzing of DVD completed successfully
    14:50:54: Copy process started
    15:01:34: Task_1 failed! Error=102()

The fact that a disc plays fine on your system and a stand-alone player means nothing about whether it can be copied or not.

Based on your logs submitted, Fab opened the disc OK... but then ran into a problem reading the info from the disc (the line I put in BOLD).

If you need verification of this, download either VSO Inspector or Nero Disc Speed from the web (freebies each).

Use DVDFab to open the disc, then immediately run either VSO or Nero to scan your disc. Any read errors will point to a defective DVD that needs replacing.

If no errors, clean the disc (even if it doesn't look like it needs it), and try copying again.

Please let us know how this goes for you.

DC

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
      The fact that a disc plays fine on your system and a stand-alone player means nothing about whether it can be copied or not.

Based on your logs submitted, Fab opened the disc OK... but then ran into a problem reading the info from the disc (the line I put in BOLD).

If you need verification of this, download either VSO Inspector or Nero Disc Speed from the web (freebies each).

Use DVDFab to open the disc, then immediately run either VSO or Nero to scan your disc. Any read errors will point to a defective DVD that needs replacing.

If no errors, clean the disc (even if it doesn't look like it needs it), and try copying again.

Please let us know how this goes for you.

DC

Thank you for the reply. I just am not sure why a disc could be defective, but still play on any machine I put it in. If it were "unreadable" in DVDFab, wouldn't it be "unreadable" in any player? Is there something different in reading to play as opposed to reading to copy?

Thanks.

Comment

In my experience, I have found that sometimes the newest version of DVDFab will not open and copy some of my DVD's. I found that an older version of DVDFab would open and copy these same disks.

So now, I always keep the latest version of DVDFab on my desktop but I also keep a copy of DVDFab version 6.2.1.8 on the desktop too. Sometimes when the latest version of DVDFab doesn't open a disk, I have found that the older version of DVDFab will do the trick.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I just am not sure why a disc could be defective, but still play on any machine I put it in. If it were "unreadable" in DVDFab, wouldn't it be "unreadable" in any player? Is there something different in reading to play as opposed to reading to copy?

Thanks.

Quite a bit of a difference.

Set-top (or stand-alone, if you prefer) DVD players are very much more forgiving of errors or defects than computers or Fab is. With the volume of info being processed, a disk defect may not even be noticeable when viewed on screen, but for DVDFab to process a disk based on your settings, it has to be able to read all the disk to know what to include and exclude.

That also extends to small sector errors in the data that you'd never notice in playback, but cause Fab to start issuing error codes if it can't read the data after several tries.

We never assume that because a disk plays back that it will copy equally well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Did you try my earlier suggestion?

DC

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
            Quite a bit of a difference.

We never assume that because a disk plays back that it will copy equally well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Did you try my earlier suggestion?

DC

Sorry, no I didn't. I tried DVD Shrink and it copied without a problem. I'm not sure what's going on, maybe DVDFab is too sensitive in it's scanning. I do find I have had success in the past with DVD Shrink when DVDFab fails and vice versa.

Comment

Sorry, no I didn't. I tried DVD Shrink and it copied without a problem. I'm not sure what's going on, maybe DVDFab is too sensitive in it's scanning. I do find I have had success in the past with DVD Shrink when DVDFab fails and vice versa.

If that's working for you, then keep going. I think you'll find though, that there will be many disks that Shrink can't handle, and you're going to have to rely on Fab more and more, as its been at least 3 or 4 years since Shrink has been updated to meet current copy protections and other structural issues.

One of the benefits of Fab as advertised is copies as good as the originals with no compression used... to attain this, Fab was written to be very thorough in how it reads data. Even so, there is an option in settings that will allow you to set the number of times Fab will try to read a sector before it passes on it and moves on.

Worth checking out?

Have you tried Shrink on any of the newer releases? I would expect you to say that you're getting a significant number of failures...

DC

Comment

Working...
              X