This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qt versions and Win XP SP3

Unfortunately my earlier problem with all QT versions not working under Windows XP SP3 continues with the recent DVDFab 8.0.9.5 Qt Beta.

The installer still takes much longer than it should to complete, but once installed it cannot be launched to appear on the desktop.

It is running OK in Task manager, but killing the process does not make any visible difference to the end result.

Up to a dozen copies of DVDFab.exe running in task manager from repeated frustrating attempts to finally get this program working again, beyond the non Qt version 8.0.8.5.

And the uninstaller still hangs until all incidences of DVDFab.exe are first removed from task manager.

So it looks to me that if this beta was intended to fix the problem which I have been having now since the QT versions were first introduced, but only happening under Windows XP Professional SP3 with all of the latest updates (they work flawlessly under Vista and Windows 7 Ultimate Editions, both with the latest service packs), that I will be sticking with the last stable non Qt version for some considerable time yet.

I would not classify my total inability to use your otherwise excellent software under XP SP3 as being a minor issue, if that is what was implied by it not being listed separately in the program history under fixes or improvements.

Am I the only person on this forum who feels that it is effectively the end of the line for any systems which are affected by this problem (not all are by any means) in trying to run any version of DVDFab later than the non Qt 8.0.8.5 under Windows XP SP3?

reeman50

Hi reeman50

I am not sure if this will help you but have you read this post

CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
      Hi reeman50

I am not sure if this will help you but have you read this post

CBR929
      Hello reeman50,

Please give this a try as CBR929 has suggested. It did work for me and also QT8095 beta installed without incident as well. It corrected the issue on the two XPsp3 rigs I was having trouble on.

Comment

Hi reeman50,

Please try CBR929's way to see the result. I think the problem is caused by bad CUDA driver since DVDFab will call it at startup.

We will try to get a workaround asap.

Best Regards,
        Fengtao
        DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
        http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but I neither know what a CUDA driver or Ntune is.

Whatever Ntune is, I do not think that I have it installed to subsequently be uninstalled.

I am only able to use the special Nvidia drivers which came with my display card (which has an overclocking option which BTW I do not use) under all three operating systems, and uninstalling them for anything other than an emergency (which this is not) is definitely not for anyone who is of a nervous disposition such as myself.

Thanking you all for the helpful advice, but I will wait to see what work around you might come up with, before deciding to risk an unstable system for the next few days as has already happened on more than one occasion when I did experiment with some of the later generic drivers with disastrous consequences.

I have therefore adopted a policy of allowing working graphic drivers to lie, or not trying to fix something which isn't already badly broken.

Thanks again,

reeman50

Comment

Hi reeman50,

Please download DVDFab v8095 beta again, and re-install it to see the result.

Best Regards,
            Fengtao
            DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
            http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by reeman50 View Post
              Pardon my ignorance, but I neither know what a CUDA driver or Ntune is.

Whatever Ntune is, I do not think that I have it installed to subsequently be uninstalled.

I am only able to use the special Nvidia drivers which came with my display card (which has an overclocking option which BTW I do not use) under all three operating systems, and uninstalling them for anything other than an emergency (which this is not) is definitely not for anyone who is of a nervous disposition such as myself.

Thanking you all for the helpful advice, but I will wait to see what work around you might come up with, before deciding to risk an unstable system for the next few days as has already happened on more than one occasion when I did experiment with some of the later generic drivers with disastrous consequences.

I have therefore adopted a policy of allowing working graphic drivers to lie, or not trying to fix something which isn't already badly broken.

Thanks again,

reeman50
              Just for a little info Reeman50

Taken from the Nvidia Website.

CUDAâ„¢ is a general purpose parallel computing architecture introduced by NVIDIA that enables the GPU to solve complex computational problems. It includes the CUDA Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) and the parallel compute engine in the GPU. To program to the CUDAâ„¢ architecture, developers can, today, use C, one of the most widely used high-level programming languages, which can then be run at great performance on a CUDAâ„¢ enabled processor. Other languages will be supported in the future, including FORTRAN and C++.

Ntune or Nvidia System Tools-
              NVIDIA System Tools installation package adds support for GTX 480 and GTX 470 and it includes the following components:

1. NVIDIA Performance Group (v6.05.26.05) add-on to the NVIDIA Control Panel

•GeForce GPUs
              – Enables GPU overclocking
              •nForce MCPs
              – Enables system tuning and profiles for clocks, voltages, timings, and fans
              – Includes support for Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components
              – Displays detailed system information
              2. NVIDIA System Monitor (v6.05.25.05) standalone application

•GeForce GPUs
              – Enables GPU temperature monitoring
              •nForce MCPs
              – Enables system monitoring for clocks, voltages, timings, and fans
              – Includes support for Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components

3. NVIDIA System Update (v3.00.17.00) add-on to the NVIDIA Control Panel

•Automatically checks for nForce and GeForce driver updates
              •Adds ability to update your system bios
              •Includes support to update firmware of Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components

Sometimes not updating drivers will cause problems down the road. It's always best to stay up to date and can easily be down graded if you do have issues.

Comment

My video card is AMD HD6850.
                I tried as follows but result is nothing change.
                1. Uninstall ATI display driver
                DVDFab not start up/display!
                2. Uninstall DVDFab8.0.9.2QT
                3. Install DVDFab8.0.9.5betaQT
                4. Install ATI display driver

I gave up and running at compatibility mode.
                MotherBoard: BIOSTAR TA890GXB HD
                CPU: AMD PhenomII X6 1055T
                Memory: CFD W3U1333Q-2G (2GBx2)
                HardDisk(AHCImode): C:\A-Data S596Turbo(32GB) D:\Hitachi HDS721050CLA362
                DVDdrive(AHCImode): TSST SH-S243D
                VideoCard: PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH

Comment

I see you have a 6 core AMD system also, I have had this problem with DVDFAB back to early versions of 8 when I upgraded to my 1090T. It is something between Fab and the AMD 6 cores! I can remove and reinstall my 4 core and all is good. Have to keep changing between compatibility modes to rum with each version. I have 4 systems here and my 1090T is the only one with issues. Have reformatted and reinstalled and upgraded all windows. Have done twice 1 with my 470 nvidia card and once with my 4870 amd card same issue.
                  Just having windows fab and image-burn on system after fresh install. Have been with DVDFAB since version 5, Now because at the moment I have some business software that will not run under windows 7 and I really do not want to upgrade to 7.
                  And installing blu-ray will probably end up changing to something besides FAB. They keep upgrading which is good but at same time breaking what has always worked in the process.

Comment

I also have a 1090T and it doesn't work

I haven't got any version for QT working on my system with Windows XP SP3. I just recently installed the 1090T. Before that, I had a Phenom X3 720. I can't go back to the tri-core since I need the six core for video processing. I hope they can get it to work with the six core processors and Windows XP SP3.

Comment

I had same problem with getting the new version to run and I have a NVIDIA card as well. After trying all of the tips with no luck I reinstalled Windows XP Pro SP3 and my NVIDIA drivers then installed the new QT version and it ran with no problems. It was not a lot of work to do as I use this machine as a dedicated machine for DVDFab alone.

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
                        Hi reeman50,

Please download DVDFab v8095 beta again, and re-install it to see the result.

Best Regards,
                        Fengtao
                        Unfortunately neither v8095 beta or v8096 beta are any different from any other QT version of DVDFab when running under Windows XP Professional SP3.

They all do not work!

Both install after a much longer time than is normal then never appear on the desktop, although multiple (up to 12 or more) DVDfab.exe processes are visible in Windows Task Manager, after several consecutive but failed attempts to launch it.

Once again neither version will correctly uninstall from my computer until all DVDFab.exe processes in task manager have been ended.

Does this mean that we will need to uninstall then reinstall the nVidia graphic drivers, every time that we want to update the program?

It made no difference at all when I eventually tried it at the great risk of making my system unstable each time that I do it.

And now we are expected to also uninstall then reinstall an entire Service Pack to get a DVD copying program to work?

There is still no reasonable solution in sight from where I am looking for this bug!

reeman50
                        Last edited by reeman50; 06-07-2011, 05:03 AM.

Comment

I tried DVDFab8.0.9.7betaQT but result is nothing change.
                          1. Uninstall DVDFab8.0.9.5betaQT
                          2. Restart computer
                          3. Install DVDFab8.0.9.7betaQT
                          4. Restart computer

I gave up and running at compatibility mode.
                          MotherBoard: BIOSTAR TA890GXB HD
                          CPU: AMD PhenomII X6 1055T
                          Memory: CFD W3U1333Q-2G (2GBx2)
                          HardDisk(AHCImode): C:\A-Data S596Turbo(32GB) D:\Hitachi HDS721050CLA362
                          DVDdrive(AHCImode): TSST SH-S243D
                          VideoCard: PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH

Comment

I have just tried version 8.0.9.8QT and the result is exactly the same as it has been right from the start of this extremely frustrating problem which strangely only some Windows XP SP3 users are experiencing, and which the software's developers are evidently finding next to impossible to duplicate.

I am hoping that if this ordeal goes on for much longer that an update of the final non QT version might be provided for those loyal users who prefer to continue to use Windows XP with all of the latest updates, with the positive intention to help bridge the gap and promote good customer relations until a more permanent QT solution can eventually be found.

Thanks again everyone who has contributed to my thread so far. Your efforts to help me and many other affected XP users (including most of you) are I can assure you not wasted and much appreciated by yours truly, even though I may not get around to responding to you individually each and every day.

reeman50

Comment

Does this mean that we will need to uninstall then reinstall the nVidia graphic drivers, every time that we want to update the program?
                              Don't understand why you want to reinstall older graphic drivers?

Updating the nvidia drivers, doesn't need to uninstall the old ones first. The old ones are just overwritten.

Comment

Working...
                              X