DVD Copy and Region Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Copy and Region Code

Just getting started with DVDFab (have not started using yet). I want to purchase DVD Copy and DVD Ripper, however I have dvds that I want to rip and they are Region 1 and Region 2 dvds. My computer is set for Region 1. I know that DVD Copy can read any region and strip the region codes (good), however I am concerned about my computer itself and the setting for Region codes (you can switch but only get 4 times to switch then it is stuck on whatever you last switched to).

So with that background my question is: If I have dvd copy loaded and put a dvd from a region different than my the setting on my pc will dvd copy prevent the operation system from changing to the new region of the dvd in the drive???

I hope the answer is yes. Also would passkey do this as well?

Originally posted by bww View Post
    Just getting started with DVDFab (have not started using yet). I want to purchase DVD Copy and DVD Ripper, however I have dvds that I want to rip and they are Region 1 and Region 2 dvds. My computer is set for Region 1. I know that DVD Copy can read any region and strip the region codes (good), however I am concerned about my computer itself and the setting for Region codes (you can switch but only get 4 times to switch then it is stuck on whatever you last switched to).

So with that background my question is: If I have dvd copy loaded and put a dvd from a region different than my the setting on my pc will dvd copy prevent the operation system from changing to the new region of the dvd in the drive???

I hope the answer is yes. Also would passkey do this as well?

Providing you have the region code and RCE settings set properly, DVDFab will deal with any DVD from any region without your needing to change the DVD Drive setting.

Having said that, please also be aware that as a region 1 person, all your TV equipment will be set up to the NTSC standard, and (as far as I know) all region 2 discs are done in PAL format, which will lead to some very unsatisfactory playback from a set-top player, unless your TV is capable of handling both NTSC and PAL formats.

Passkey will perform as DVDFab does.

DC

Comment

Region codes

You don't need to mess with your system's region code setting. Leave it as Region Code 1 if in the US, region code 2 if in Europe. You can Google for region codes for more info.

Your computer should be able to play any video format, especially if you have the appropriate codecs installed. Some video gurus will try an frighten you to avoid codec packs, but K-Lite offers built in compatibility that I have never found to be problematic.

Problems arise chiefly when you attempt to play the movie on a stand-alone device, such as on your TV. Some DVD players are too dumb to recognize the various formats stipulated in the IFO files.

One way of overcoming just about any limitation is to get a video card that offers TV in/out and back up your video from computer to external DVD burner. ATI's 'All-in-Wonder' works great, but you can get an economical TV card from places like (usually bungling) TigerDirect. The latter option guarantees video quality, compatibility, and especially intact I-frames for AV synchronization and smooth fast forward or reverse that is often lost, due to blind editing of the movie by novices.

Comment

Thanks djard for the tips.

DC: I followed your advice and everything worked great and regarding pal my western digital media player had absolutely no problem playing the "dvd".

DC My only other question is that when I run DVDFab DVD Copy a pop comes up when I put the dvd to be copied and has all the regions and wants me to put the region code in. It is always on 1 usa even though I put in a region 2 disk. To experiment I copied two region 2 disks and the first I answered 2 and the other I answered 1, both worked on my wd media player so my question is:
        What exactly does this popup do? Is it asking what I want the region to be on the output or does it want to know what the original dvd is??

Comment

Originally posted by bww View Post
          Thanks djard for the tips.

DC: I followed your advice and everything worked great and regarding pal my western digital media player had absolutely no problem playing the "dvd".

DC My only other question is that when I run DVDFab DVD Copy a pop comes up when I put the dvd to be copied and has all the regions and wants me to put the region code in. It is always on 1 usa even though I put in a region 2 disk. To experiment I copied two region 2 disks and the first I answered 2 and the other I answered 1, both worked on my wd media player so my question is:
          What exactly does this popup do? Is it asking what I want the region to be on the output or does it want to know what the original dvd is??

It used to be important (many moons ago) when Fab used to set the copy to the same region as the system was set at (or, at least, that's what I used to think)... but since Fab now make all copies region free (except for the TV format), I simply treat that as an unavoidable nuisance.

There may be others here with more info than I can offer... wait and see what is posted here...

DC

Comment

It should be set to the same region number (letter) as stated on the box the disc is shipped with.

Comment

Working...
            X