DVD's sticking and "attempting to read media"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mtdewangel View Post
    Mainly our Xbox360 but once they stick too much and tick us of (lol) we switch to our dvd player.
    So the XBox is more of a problem when playing bkups?
    How about the dvd player...just less of a problem or no problem?

Do these pauses have some commonality?
    Do they typically occur more toward the end?
    What exactly happens? Does the video simply freeze?
    How do you continue to play?

Does the XBox ever "stick" with pressed media (original studio dvds)?

How much use has the XBox gotten?

Perhaps the laser is starting to have trouble focusing or is out of alignment

AS CBR929 said, your logs look ok.
    Perhaps you need to clean the lens.
    For starters, just use canned air.

What was happening prior to your switching media...same problem?
    Exactly what was the media? the MID (media ID) would be great.
    For eg., your verbs are MCC 03RG20

Any additional info you can provide will help us help you
    The devil's in the details
    Last edited by maineman; 07-25-2011, 02:17 AM.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
      What was happening prior to your switching media...same problem.

Hello My friend....
      The member was having a different problem before see thread http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.p...9962#post79962

Also they were using a different computer that the one they are using now
      OLD
      Microsoft Windows XP MCE 2005 (Build 2600: Service Pack 3)
      TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652L 0603 [E] (Ide)

NEW
      Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
      ATAPI DVD A DH16ABSH YA12 [D] (Scsi)

The media they were using was junk Media ID: CMC MAG. AM3

CBR929

Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
        Hello My friend....
        Hello, right backatcha my friend.
        Thanks for clearing up the questions that you could.

Still, some...maybe many to go.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

@Mtdewangel,

In addition to the unanswered questions in post #16,
          could you give us specifics as to just what Fab is doing, what mode (main movie, etc.,), roughly how much compression you apply, original file size, etc.

Just 1 or 2 examples of a "sticky" bkup should suffice

Thanks, like I said,

Comment

So the XBox is more of a problem when playing bkups?
            How about the dvd player...just less of a problem or no problem?

Do these pauses have some commonality?
            Do they typically occur more toward the end?
            What exactly happens? Does the video simply freeze?
            How do you continue to play?

Does the XBox ever "stick" with pressed media (original studio dvds)?

How much use has the XBox gotten?

Perhaps the laser is starting to have trouble focusing or is out of alignment

AS CBR929 said, your logs look ok.
            Perhaps you need to clean the lens.
            For starters, just use canned air.

What was happening prior to your switching media...same problem?

We always start playing a dvd in the Xbox. If it sticks we try and let it go. It's when it sticks every 4 seconds and becomes a hassle that we switch to the dvd player. We still have stick issues with the dvd player. SOMETIMES it will stick so much at the ends that we don't get to see the ending. IE Rango just did that and we've not watched the ending yet.

9 times of 10 they stick in the start and the end. The Xbox will pop up saying trying to read media. We try to see if it will. If not DH puts it into the dvd player. When it sticks there it just freezes. Our dvd player doesn't have a prompt thing like the Xbox. DH has tried to skip chapters to see if that helps but it just stays stuck. DH seems to think they stick within the first 30min and the last 30min.

Original dvds never stick in either player. Um we use our Xbox almost daily. it's getting old. It was sent back to Xbox in Marchish for the ring of death...again. We paid to have it fixed b/c we couldn't afford a whole new system. It's worked fine since then. If the laser has a problem, why the dvd player as well? We rarely use the dvd player. Mainly has the back up when this happens.

As for the old media. DH can't recall any of the old media sticking using dvdfab as the burner.

I wanted to point out that my sister often borrows a dvd after we've watched it. She has a new (under 1 year) xbox that she plays her dvds in. She says they stick too. Iv'e lent her Rango tonight to see if it does it for her also.

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
            Hello My friend....
            The member was having a different problem before see thread http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.p...9962#post79962

Also they were using a different computer that the one they are using now
            OLD
            Microsoft Windows XP MCE 2005 (Build 2600: Service Pack 3)
            TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652L 0603 [E] (Ide)

NEW
            Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
            ATAPI DVD A DH16ABSH YA12 [D] (Scsi)

The media they were using was junk Media ID: CMC MAG. AM3

CBR929

Yes that's true. Our old comp0uter wasn't burning dvds anymore, so we bought a new one. (not soley for that purpose lol) We were still using our old media with the new system until recently.

@Mtdewangel,

In addition to the unanswered questions in post #16,
            could you give us specifics as to just what Fab is doing, what mode (main movie, etc.,), roughly how much compression you apply, original file size, etc.

Just 1 or 2 examples of a "sticky" bkup should suffice

Thanks, like I said,
            I'm not sure how to find all that out without reburning them. I know if it's not got extras, or compressed to low past 100%, we do full disc. If it's a big file, dh mainly does main movie. For regular movies (not our series discs) 70-100%. Depending on the movie and how big the file.

I hope that helps some!

Comment

Since I haven't had anymore replies, I thought I should update this thread. We still don't know what's going on with these dvds and sticking problems. However, today we went and got a small pack of the old Memorex DVD-R and copied Rango. It played PERFECT! No sticking at all.

This is kind of mind boggling. We made the switch to Verbatim since it was suggested when we had problems with our old computer. Got them from Buy.com for a little cheaper then the Memorex brand. Now I don't know what to think. Is it possible we got a bad "batch"? Should I take this up with Verbatim?

Comment

Unfortunately not all Verbs are good!
                sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                  Unfortunately not all Verbs are good!
                  The AZO on the label is the key to getting a good quality disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
                    The AZO on the label is the key to getting a good quality disc.
                    Ours has AZO. Let me see if I can find a link to what we have.

http://www.buy.com/prod/verbatim-dvd.../10412809.html

Comment

Ours has AZO. Let me see if I can find a link to what we have.
                      These are good ones. I think you should check for firmware updates for your drive. Poor media support by your drive could be another reason
                      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Yup, a firmware update may just do it as my friend IPopov suggests.
                        But beware, if you don't know what you're doing (no personal criticism intended here), you can inadvertantly "brick" your burner.
                        A bad or misflash and you have yourself an expensive doorstop.

What make and model pc?...or the oem of the burner?
                        Your pc manufacturer should have firmware updates on their support site.

Despite using top quality media (Verbatim + AZO), there is no guarantee of success here.
                        It's not always easy to find a happy marriage with "burned" media, and in your case, 3 different pieces of hardware.

We generally steer clear of memorex simply because they use multiple manufacturers (often using the cheapest dye etc.,) and as such they can vary greatly in quality.
                        Additionally, you may find that the "good" burns with marginal media have poor longevity.

It's hard to argue with what's working for you.
                        However, you might try Taiyo Yuden media...this will be online only

You might also try some +R verbs or TY (Taiyo Yuden) and bitset to DVD-ROM.

If you need help with the firmware flash, online retaliers, etc., just give us a holler

Comment

We have a Emachines EL1352-23e.

I have NO idea what I would be doing messing with the firmware.

Comment

We have a Emachines EL1352-23e.

I have NO idea what I would be doing messing with the firmware.
                            Yup, the price is right, but not so right for support.
                            Here's the support:

Not even mention of burner firmware support.
                            Unfortunately, you would have to go the long way around and find the actual manufacturer and then hope that firmware is available and correct.
                            Not good odds when you're inexperienced.
                            Good chance of the expensive doorstop I mentioned previously.

Your best bet is trying to find media that works with all your hardware and has decent longevity/reliabilty.

...or

pick up another burner...either an external burner (usb interface) or an internal burner and install it in an external enclosure...again usb connectivity.

Sorry, wish I had better news.

Comment

Working...
                            X