Cannot customize backups under XP SP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot customize backups under XP SP3

Has anyone else here experienced problems when attempting to make custom backups of their own DVDs, when running any versions of DVDFab above 8.1.0.0 Qt under Windows XP Professional SP3?

Only when using versions above 8.1.0.0 Qt, full disk backups seem perfectly OK, but any move to make a custom backup causes the application to crash and prompt me to send a bug report to the software's author.

Living in Australia my DVDs are all coded for Region 4, and the first time this happened it was when I was making a backup of Season 6 of Family Guy (which I recently purchased).

I soon discovered however that all my discs were doing the same thing, even though all of them were able to be customized with earlier versions.

What follows are the relevant entries from dvdfab_internal.log

DVDFab 8.1.0.5 (2011/07/29 14:48:48)

0m 01.45s: error: create module(514.00) failed(514.00 3)
    0m 01.45s: warning: invalid gpu detect handle
    0m 01.53s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
    0m 01.53s: Qt Translator file load success
    0m 05.01s: detected dvd
    0m 05.04s: drive F
    0m 05.04s: dvd type 1
    0m 05.04s: volume label FAMILY_GUY_S6_D1
    0m 05.15s: got copyright 1 f5
    0m 05.78s: got udf/iso
    0m 06.67s: got discinfo
    0m 06.67s: pathplayer disabled 0
    0m 07.26s: got dvdinfo
    0m 07.28s: opened dvd
    0m 07.89s: terminate process

DVDFab 8.1.0.3 (2011/07/30 18:08:34)

0m 01.61s: error: create module(514.00) failed(514.00 3)
    0m 01.61s: warning: invalid gpu detect handle
    0m 02.40s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
    0m 02.48s: Qt Translator file load success
    0m 40.25s: detected dvd
    0m 40.28s: drive E
    0m 40.28s: dvd type 1
    0m 40.28s: volume label FAMILY_GUY_S9_D1
    0m 40.37s: got copyright 1 f5
    0m 40.98s: got udf/iso
    0m 42.06s: got discinfo
    0m 42.07s: pathplayer enabled
    0m 55.37s: got dvdinfo
    0m 55.39s: opened dvd
    0m 57.26s: terminate process

DVDFab 8.1.0.0 (2011/07/30 18:10:35)

0m 01.73s: error: create module(514.00) failed(514.00 3)
    0m 01.75s: warning: invalid gpu detect handle
    0m 02.37s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
    0m 02.37s: Qt Translator file load success
    0m 09.15s: detected dvd
    0m 09.18s: drive E
    0m 09.18s: dvd type 1
    0m 09.18s: volume label FAMILY_GUY_S9_D1
    0m 09.46s: got copyright 1 f5
    0m 09.57s: got udf/iso
    0m 10.15s: got discinfo
    0m 10.15s: pathplayer enabled
    0m 20.87s: got dvdinfo
    0m 20.89s: opened dvd

It seems interesting that although version 8.1.0.0 appears not to have any problems at least to me as the end user, the identical create module error and gpu detect error warning are still happening in spite of what seems to be a normal operation. It did not terminate the process, as the later versions did.

None of this ever happened when I was running the non QT versions of DVDFab on my computer. I still have the final non QT version 8.0.8.5 installed in a separate folder, and it has never failed me yet.

The QT versions continue to be more trouble to me than they seem to be worth in order to get the new and slicker GUI, which runs flawlessly under Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 and Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on the same machine as the one running XP.

Any ideas folks?

Short of doing all my DVDFab backups under either of the other two operating systems in the future, or waiting for version 8.1.0.0 QT to become so outdated that it is useless?

reeman50

Have you tried turning off all GPU encoding and decoding? I have an XP-SP3 laptop and just did Battle Los Angeles using customize and it seemed to work fine. I do have the GPU stuff turned off. Attachment:
    Attached Files
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
      Have you tried turning off all GPU encoding and decoding? I have an XP-SP3 laptop and just did Battle Los Angeles using customize and it seemed to work fine. I do have the GPU stuff turned off. Attachment:

Yes I tried disabling the setting to which you referred this Monday morning, but unfortunately it made no difference and the program crashed just as fast as it did before.

Thanks anyway for attempting to help me out with this terribly frustrating problem which is only one of a series since DVDFab went over to the QT versions.

Still I suppose that I should be grateful that I am able to get any of the several QT versions to work at all under XP SP3.

Clearly I am doing better than those members of this forum who so far cannot get any QT version to work with XP, with it being their only operating system.

At least in my case, I can always fall back on processing all my DVDs under either Vista or 7, or use the non QT version 8.0.8.5 under XP.

Still I am terribly jealous of those of you who can run any QT version of DVDFab you like under my favourite but admittedly veteran OS with no issues whatsoever, although I suspect that on some systems the problem(s) may still be happening behind the scenes, with no visible symptoms which can be detected unless you happen to closely examine the log entries after each successful session.

reeman50

Comment

Is this progress?

Unfortunately it appears that the same problem is now developing when running version 8.1.0.5 QT under Vista Ultimate Edition SP2, and if the issue spreads to Windows 7 it could very well be the end for DVDFab on my multi boot system.

The error log entries are identical to one another under both XP and Vista (see above).

I am checking out the log under Windows 7, as we speak.

No, it seems to be OK for the moment.

Basically for a large number (obviously not all) of the loyal long time users of this otherwise excellent software (until the QT versions were forced upon us so that we could keep up with the newest copy protection methods and it looked fancy and supposedly worked more quickly) QT has been a disaster that will ultimately drive the software's supporters into the waiting arms and bank balances of its competitors.

I now almost exclusively use a freeware program (not named here for legal reasons) which has not been updated for years and will never be updated again, which is doing considerably better than all of the QT versions of my paid for and registered DVDFab ever have when put together, under all three operating systems on my computer.

It works for me 100% of the time, and significantly faster!!!!!!!

Is this the price we must all pay for progress?

Is this progress?

reeman50
        Last edited by reeman50; 08-05-2011, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Hi reeman50,
          1.Update your video drives;
          2.Please try the lastest build 8108 QT beta .
          Wish you success.
          terry5

Comment

Thanks Terry,

1. After having been forced to update the graphics drivers under XP to get any QT versions of DVDFab to install, I decided to also update them at the same time under both Vista and Windows 7. The drivers are specially customised for my particular Nvidia 9600GT video card, and were downloaded and checked for file integrity from the manufacturer's own website.

I am unfortunately unable to use the ones which are offered through Windows update. If I dare to use them (I did, but only once and never again), they immediately fail on the first restart after installation.

Now that I have updated them, I find I cannot roll back to the original ones which came with the card, because so much of my software now depends on CUDA technology which the older drivers do not support, to accelerate and enhance their functions.

I feel that I cannot win either way, because some other obviously graphics related problems with software other than DVDFab, only began after I updated the graphics drivers.

2. Because of multiple past negative experiences with installing and using beta software, I only install it if it specifically addresses the problems which I am experiencing.

Looking at the history log for the beta version that you mentioned, with the exception of updated language files, all other items are related to Blu-Ray, which is of no interest to me.

I do not have an alternative test machine handy, to protect the one on which I am typing this to you now.

SIGH!!!!!!

Goodbye cruel world. lol

reeman50

Comment

The problem appears to be fixed for now

Terry,

I finally steadied my nerves enough to do what you suggested, and it appears at least for now that disabling the GPU codecs has temporarily eased the urgency of looking for an alternative to DVDFab, if it should eventually fail on my computer.

One wonders however whether even the most recent customised graphics drivers for my nVidia card will be enough to satisfy this program's huge dependency on video resources for its normal operation for much longer.

Will we be in the near future seeing the need to update our systems to a high end graphics card monster, specifically to be able to legally copy our valuable DVD collection using DVDFab?

Once again I ask the same question.

Is this really progress?

Thanks again mate for your advice and patience with this nervous end user, whose ability to keep constantly updating graphics drivers and serious video hardware simply to allow him to backup his DVDs is not open ended.

reeman50

Comment

Originally posted by reeman50 View Post
                Terry,

I finally steadied my nerves enough to do what you suggested, and it appears at least for now that disabling the GPU codecs has temporarily eased the urgency of looking for an alternative to DVDFab, if it should eventually fail on my computer.

One wonders however whether even the most recent customised graphics drivers for my nVidia card will be enough to satisfy this program's huge dependency on video resources for its normal operation for much longer.
                If you have to use customised video drivers and can't run the official releases from Nvidia then leave the setting for codecs in Fab set at software. I may be wrong but DVDFab never claimed to support customised video drivers to begin with and you're barking up the wrong tree.

Comment

Working...
                X