X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error in Windows 7

Hey everyone.
    I thought i was losing my mind for a bit, as my dvd drive was not recognizing dvd format disks, but it was recognizing cds. I checked the upper and lower filter fix, and that did not apply.
    Initially i upgraded to windows 7 with a clean install. I proceeded to install dvd fab and backed up one of my dvds no problem at all. The next morning after some updates I went to backup a second dvd and it just spun and spun. I went through support with HP, Microsoft and searched all over the internet to no avail.
    I restored back to the previous day before the initial install of DVD fab as well as some of the windows 7 updates.
    It worked fine. I immediately installed dvd fab with the vso software again, and same thing. no dvd.
    I pretty much isolated that it is a conflict involving dvd fab.
    I know i have read everywhere that it works fine with windows 7 but that just isn't the case with me.

My system is an HP dv7-1245dx it has a tsst corp multi-layer dvd burner which operates fine until i install dvdfab.

Any ideas on where to start, or what info can help in coming up with a workaround?
    I do not have dvdfab installed right now as it seems the only way to get this working is to restore back to pre-installation instead of just uninstalling.

Thanks for the help.
    Tom

By the way, I also tried an install without the vso software... same problem.

Comment

Can you burn using imgburn ? It's free and better than the VSO burn engine.

Try running Windows System File Checker and see what comes up if that does not work.

Here's the instructions :
      Last edited by bean55; 11-24-2009, 04:11 PM.

Removal of new protections may not be available yet in the free version of DVDFab (HD Decrypter)

Help Us Help You :

Troy's excellent tutorial on Setting up ImgBurn with DVDFab :

I use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media mainly.
      Trying Falcon D/L media

I use ImgBurn as my main burning engine

Free Media Player VLC

Comment

img burn

I did install img burn and it seems to work, but i dont know if there is a problem closing the disk or what.

However like i posted above, it seems to be the install of DVD FAB that is having the conflict.
        I will check what you said, after reinstalling dvdfab and trying again.

Comment

Definitely run the file checker as my good friend bean suggests (always solid advice from him, btw).

I'm not quite certain what you mean by you might have a problem closing the disc with Img?
          What makes you think it may not be closed and sorry to ask the obvious, but have you checked?

One more thought...
          Check in device manager, navigate down to VSO (probably at the bottom) and expand it. Now delete/uninstall all instances of patin-couffin driver.
          Reboot and see how Fab functions now.

You can always reload the patin-couffin driver if you wish.
          VSO is using SPTI for the access layer and not patin-couffin in the most recent versions.

//Edit

Sorry, I meant to ask...
          In Fab, what are your I/O settings?...SPTI ?
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

to be honest there was an error last night and after It popped the disc out in img burn and then hung and I didn't write down the error...my stupidity.

I am running file checker now.
            I will try the driver check as well. thanks for the timely responses guys.
            Tom

Comment

oops missed you I/O question. I am reinstalling again, I kept it off as i couldn't use my dvd drive while it is there, after the file check is done I will go through everything and put it back up here.

Comment

Ok, well, i reinstalled dvdfab...and without even running it the first time, it doesn't recognize the dvd.
                I installed it without the VSO as well...
                any thoughts?
                file checker came back fine as well.

Comment

Take a look at this

Windows 7 and Windows 10 have a similar desktop-centric user interface, but there are many under-the-hood changes you should know about.

Since you did the filters I was pointing at Option #2
                  Last edited by bean55; 11-24-2009, 06:06 PM.

Removal of new protections may not be available yet in the free version of DVDFab (HD Decrypter)

Help Us Help You :

Trying Falcon D/L media

Free Media Player VLC

Comment

well

well i tried that fix, it still doesn't work... I actually tried to restore back to yesterday and it isn't working at all. hmmmm i guess i will try to undo option 2, however seems a restore should have fixed this back to how it was.

Comment

Restores only work so long before they are even corrupted.

Those HP updates may have consisted of an Firmware update that did not work properly.Since the issue mainly started with the updates you need to find out what was updated and try 1 at a time to rollback those updates until you find which one caused the problem.

Help Us Help You :

Trying Falcon D/L media

Free Media Player VLC

Comment

sorry for not stopping back here... I actually got things working again, they just seemed to start working, no changes that i made or anything. Now it isn't working again. Spent the last 2 hours on tech support with microsoft. They finally believe me instead of saying that it is my dvd drive that went bad.
                        I have a callback scheduled on friday, so I will update you if they can fix it.

Comment

Working...
                        X