This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Questions. +RW Media-Don't Finalize. Spin Speed

I purchased a few +RW disc's so I could have the option to overwrite material if I wanted to. I understand that +RW disc's can be played on some players that are unfinalized. In order to find out, I have to copy and burn the material first, but DVDFAB will go to finalize automatically after the burn. How can I burn the disk without having it finalize?

My other question has to do with spin speed. On rare occasions I have put the primary disc in the tray and the drive will speed up to crazy sounding speed. I close the program because it sounds like immediate damage is going to occur. Going back later it runs normally. What causes that and is there an adjustment to avoid that from occurring?

Hi dan633,

You want to finalize a video DVD, and there probably won’t be room after a movie to add anything anyway.
    Click the green check to go into common settings and then click on “write”, down near the bottom there are a couple check boxes, one is to overwrite an RW automatically and the other will booktype those +R to DVD-ROM for maximum compatibility, check those.
    I have a couple Samsung writers that spin up occasionally and and sounds like the computer is about to lift off the desk but will slow after a bit, I don’t know what causes that but it hasn’t seemed to hurt anything. If yours is a 22 speed or something crazy like mine I think it just runs through the speed range sometimes. 20 –22 speed is fast and noisy and I think you’ll find the spin up is brief.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi, Thanks for reply, I planned to burn smaller files to the +RW disc (22-25 min. each) and add to it over time. Deleting some as needed. The DVD-ROM may aid in play back in other players, but the ones I use now will play back unfinalized +RW disc's. I do not wish to over write files on the disc as a default. It brings me back to the original question, can DVDFAB burn and stop, ie: Don't finalize automatically?
      The spin speed stayed that way for over a minute before I stopped it. I'd hoped it would slow on it's own, but didn't. It did it on both burners once it got into that mood. (not mode). Not using a 22x, but TSST-Samsung's TS-H652L 16x and a SH-S182D 18x.

Comment

I guess I can't help you with that, but I really don't think you can do what you want with video. Adding and removing files leads ultimately to fragmentation of files and I don't think video will play if noncontiguous.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Fab is not able to copy in a multi-session format.
          It will finalize (close the session) automatically.
          To the best of my knowledge, this will occur with all 3 burn engines when used within Fab, although I have not confirmed this, nor do I have a later version of nero that's compatible with win7.

You would have to use an outside app such as nero to burn multi-session discs.

Hmmm, weird about the prolonged spin up.
          Like 90312, on occasion, some of my burners will spin up and sound like they're getting ready for "take off"...lol,
          but this only lasts a few seconds and only happens occasionally. Initially, I thought this might be only on discs that are causing read problems, but honestly, it seems random in occurrence.

//Edit
          Mornin' 90, didn't spot you there
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
          X