This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find the right movie files

By now many of you would have found that movies like Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek, The Proposal etc have a new copy protection that appears as if the DVD is about 40 to 80 Gb in size, which is impossible, but that is how the new system plays havoc with software that tries to copy them. First off, you can not make a Full Disk copy, you need to find the right movie files, not the ones that DVDFab thinks are the Main Movie. If you let DVDFab select the Main Movie you will get a copy that jumps around from chapter to chapter in random order. So start the movie in media player and make sure that you have the chapter window open on the right so that you can see which files are playing as you let it run. When the movie starts you should then see the relevent Title highlighted in blue. In Transformers R.O.T.F it is Title 21 and the same for Start Trek, whiule The Proposal is Title 47 ( I am in Region 4 so it may be different in other Regions) Close Media Player and start DVDFab then select Main Movie and then Select the Title that was playing when the Movie was running in Media Player. And don't forget to make sure that Pathfinder is turned off.

The fully registered version 6.2.0.5 can copy these movies without having to do this.

I am too in region 4 and have done these titles successfully.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

6.2.0.5 doesn't show all the extra titles/chapters?

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
        The fully registered version 6.2.0.5 can copy these movies without having to do this.

I am too in region 4 and have done these titles successfully.
        Ditto!... for R1
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Something is still not quite right...

First and foremost - kudos on a great product. I have been using a paid version since 2007 and this is the first time I have even had a need to post anything. It has worked flawlessly.

I have seen a few posts, including this one, regarding the new protection scheme that makes the disk look like it is huge. The Proposal is one of them. While it was noted in this post that The Proposal works under V 6.2.0.5 in Region 4 & 1, I am still having problems with it (I’m R1).

I am trying to make a back up of the DVD (not a Blu-ray) using Main Movie to the hard drive (as I have many times in the past) and found the result was working VOB files but the movie jumped around causing the viewer to miss parts. It completely skipped Ch 2.

Here is what I have found in trying to troubleshoot:

Under V6.2.0.6 on a PC w a Blu-ray drive trying to backup "The Proposal" to the hard drive, the result was as noted above (looks huge/skips chapters).

I upgraded to 6.2.1.8 and things got worse. Now under Full Disc you can see the huge size noted, but when trying to switch to Main Movie, DVDFab locks up.

Installed 6.2.1.8 on a different PC with a regular DVD drive (not Blu-ray). Using the same DVD, now the disc size looks fine when in Full Disc and the result of a Main Movie to file is positive. It worked.

Just for grins I installed 6.2.1.8 on my third system and it worked just like the second one.

What was different – Same version, different PCs. The ones with a standard DVD player work perfectly, but the one with a Blu-ray drive still has copy protection issues. Given these results, please give some thought to whether this could possibly be an issue with using DVDFab on a system with a Blu-ray drive, despite not trying to make a Blu-ray copy and not using a Blu-ray disc.

Thank you in advance. While I am not worried about this DVD since I got it to work, I would like to resolve the problem since it happens on my primary PC.
          Last edited by mashenden; 01-06-2010, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Update from last poster

Please disregard. Apparently PathPlayer was deactivated on the PC w the Blu-ray player. Not sure how or why, but once I changed that, it worked like the other two. Apparenlty on the two new installs that I did, this feature automatically defaults to selected.

20/20 hindsight I wish that I have checked this first .

mashenden

Comment

Working...
            X