This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still having a problem with Star Trek XI

I'm a long-time user of DVDfab and I'm now using the current registered v6.2.0.5. I cannot get Star Trek backed up successfully and it's driving me crazy.

I did search the forums for "Star Trek", but found nothing relevant to this specific problem.

Everything seems to work just fine and no errors are reported in the logs, but whether I play the DVD back on the burning PC, another PC, any one of my 4 set top players, car DVD, PS3, XBox, (basically anything with a DVD slot), I end up with a playback halt somewhere in the first chapter (it's been in three different places so far but always in the first chapter). This (eventually) fatal playback halt does NOT occur when I play the ISO or the video folder (tried it both ways) used for burning. This occurs whether I use DVD+R DL or DVD+R media, and I've tried a total of four different brands (as reported by ImgBurn -- not the disc label). This occurs whether I use ImgBurn or VSO (the older version of VSO since the newer one doesn't seem to work with the latest versions of DVDfab).

Finally, I do not have this problem with any other DVD I've tried to backup. For those who have successfully backed up this title, have you watched the entire copy of the movie without any problems? So far I've burned about six coasters, which is annoying because I typically do all the right things to make sure that I don't waste DVDs like that (not that it's really a big $ deal anymore, but...it's a matter of pride! )

Any thoughts? It definitely just seems to be this movie for me, but I can't figure out what kind of protection would cause this only when the image is burned to a DVD????

I backed mine up using "main movie" and with pathplayer "always enable". I dont have any stutter, it plays fine. Hope you get it sorted out

Comment

Sounds like a bad pressing or something on the disc, since it is in the first chapter it will be near the center hole. Have you tried cleaning the disc with Windex and a micro-fiber cloth, tiny circles? If you have it may just be a bad DVD, you can scan the surface with Nero CD/DVD Speed, download the last free version here: http://www.free-codecs.com/Nero_DVD_Speed_download.htm too many retries to read a bad spot can cause unpredictable results, skips too many bad sectors and the player runs out of data.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

I do have another original of the DVD on the way, but in the meantime, as usual, only after posting my problem, it finally worked.

I used DVDfab to rip the full disc to the hard drive as Video_ts rather than an ISO image (not sure why that would matter since the ISO always played fine with VLC, but...), used ImgBurn (not as part of the DVDfab process) to burn the folder structure over to the same DVD+R DL disc that had playback failure two previous times, but this time it all plays fine.

This is definitely one of those weird-blame-it-on-full-moon-sunspots-solar-flare type of thing. I can't think of a protection scheme that would result in playback failure only if you burn it to a disc, but the image, video files, etc., all playback fine...? It's just weird.

Hopefully, I will find this isolated to just this one movie for me!

Comment

Good, glad you got it! Lots of reports of quirky burning problems with this release. I use Nero 9 reloaded as my burning engine and haven't seen a problem yet.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Maybe it didn't like being called Star Trek XI instead of IX....
            Glad to see you finally got it sorted....

Comment

Originally posted by moviefreak View Post
              I backed mine up using "main movie" and with pathplayer "always enable". I dont have any stutter, it plays fine. Hope you get it sorted out
              I also had no problems using the above settings in multiple players(PS3, PC,car,etc.)

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Topdog View Post
                Maybe it didn't like being called Star Trek XI instead of IX....
                Glad to see you finally got it sorted....
                Oops.

Maybe it just seemed like there have been more....

Comment

Working...
                X