Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to the whole process of backing up a movie to hard drive. I have been reading for months about how all these movies can be put on a hard drive and played back on the HD TVs, etc., etc. I figured it would be much like a music CD; double click and play. Surprise...

I can't even find a place that explains what the video different files are. I started out by trying to play the wrong kind of file (.ifo) - which actually worked, sort of. I contacted tech support about some troubles, and they said 'play the VOB.' Well, there's a dozen VOBs... Does it matter which one?

I've copied a few disks to my external hard drive: I created a sortcut to the VOB file; double clicking sometimes playes the movie: most times it won't. Most of the time Media Player locks up and I have to restart my computer.

Oh - yeah; when the movie starts I click on full screen mode, and the whole thing goes black - then locks up. This is ridiculous. This does not happen when I'm playing a DVD from the DVD player.

If I take my external CD to my laptop and try to play the movie with Media Player, I'm told that I've performed an illegal operation and Media Player is forced to close. So are these files only play-able on one computer? What good is that? Why bother copying the CD at all then - which is far more portable?

At this point I don't even know if it's me, the computer(s,) Media Player, or DVDfab, as I can't find a place that explains the basics. In this forum I have seen a few others make the same basic comment... we're beginners, not programmers. Why isn't there an "auto-play" file like they have on DVDs? That would make it so much easier to just get things started... Anyway - guidance would be appreciated - from any knowledgeable person.
    Last edited by david_b; 12-03-2009, 02:38 AM.

Download and use VLC Player (It's free) and all you will have to do then is just select the foler to which you ripped your DVD's.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

In other words do not select a vob file select the folder.

With VLC right click on the folder and select Play With VLC

Comment

You also have to be prepared to invest some time in learning the terminology and research for yourself.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks

Yes, having the right video player really helped! I have not yet tried it on my laptop - but it does appear to be working well on the desktop.

Comment

What is the OS you are using? XP, Vista or 7

Comment

Working...
            X