Newbie needs help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needs help!

Hi! Yes, I am new to this forum and DVDFab. Unfortunately, my computer skills are just basic and I know just enough to make me dangerous. I downloaded the trial version of DVDFab to see if it's really as good as some say before buying the full version. I'm not so much about making back-up discs but really only want to copy my existing DVD movies onto a portable hard drive to be able to take with me and play on my laptop when I travel. Here's my problem: I used DVD Copy on a couple movies and it works wonderfully on my Windows Media Player when saved in my desktop computer's in the desinated document file section BUT it won't play when I copy it to my portable hard drive. So then, I tried using DVD Ripper and converted to wmv. It saved it on the portable hd and played but the video was distorted and audio was out of sync, not to mention the DVDFab logo comes and goes. I was going to try using HD Decrypter but can't find it on the drag & drop screen after initial opening screen. What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do? Don't have enough space on my desktop's hd plus it's not portable. Sorry if this is a redundant question but I could really use some help!! Thanks!

If you are trying to use DVDFab to copy an already ripped movie from one drive to another without compression, it won't do that. It will create a directory with zero bytes in the VIDEO_TS folder. Set the target folder to the portable drive and it will work or rip them to the desktop HDD and cut and paste them to the portable drive.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

First off, welcome.
      I think the simplest and easist step at this point is to try other software players.

VLC (a favorite among many of us) is free and will play virtually anything with the exception of Blu-ray .ISO files,
      however it will play standard dvd .ISO's and other BD files.
      It has the added benefit of not needing external codecs as does WMP.

Another excellent choice is MPC (media player classic), also free.

Respective links:

MPC-HC, the free, open source media player for Windows

Are you ripping to standard dvd structure?...ie., audio & video folders or to .ISO?
      Is your external drive NTFS or FAT32 format?

With respect to conversions, try .mkv.h264 audiocopy and tinker with the profile settings as you wish. I think you'll have better luck.

If the above players do not resolve your issue, please post back with specifics.
      "The devil's in the details"...

//Edit
      Hey 90, didn't see you...
      Last edited by maineman; 05-15-2012, 09:50 PM.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Ok, was copying using standard video structure.

Great news, guys! Installing VLH player did the job!! You guys are great. Now, that I know that I can copy to the portable hard drive and view, I'll be buying the Full program when the trial offer runs out.
        I really appreciate the quick response and williness to help out a newbie!!
        Hopefully, down the road I can learn to use some of the other features!

Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
        X