This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fab 6.2.0.5 locks up when starting to analyze

Hello. Examples are "Six in Paris" (2008, New Yorker Video, pristine condition), and "D.W. Griffith" (2002, Image Entertainment, cleaned by me), which repeatedly cause my cursor and XP+SP3 PC to lock when Fab starts to analyze them, requiring me to shut off power and restart. (Same result with DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter.) PathPlayer is enabled.

I am evaluating DVDFab to buy but am disappointed in how often it freezes my PC (no log or error messages) after insertion. I have found that New Yorker DVDs generally have very strong encryption.

Do you have any work-arounds? Thank you.

Frankly, I have no idea what's going on with your system.
    A decrypting or analyzing failure should not cause your system to freeze.
    I've never experienced this nor have I read this.

Moreover, you're experiencing the same thing with dvd decrypter and shrink?

Something's certainly amiss.
    I'd take a look in the windoz dump files
    Last edited by maineman; 12-05-2009, 08:49 PM. Reason: can't speel...sppel...errh...spell
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Just a thought but could there be some good scratches on the disc??
      Chris

Comment

As this is an older release, give it a try with Pathplayer disabled.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
          Frankly, I have no idea what's going on with your system.
          A decrypting or analyzing failure should not cause your system to freeze.
          I've never experienced this nor have I read this.

Moreover, you're experiencing the same thing with dvd decrypter and shrink?
          --SOMETIMES, NOT ALWAYS.

Something's certainly amiss.
          I'd take a look in the windoz dump files
          --THANKS FOR THIS REPLY. PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT DUMP FILES...WHERE TO FIND THEM, WHAT TO LOOK FOR, WHAT'S WRONG, AND HOW TO CHANGE IT.

--To GregiBoy: Thanks...I disabled PathPlayer and am getting a higher rate of successes (for instance, "Six in Paris" and one of the two "D.W.Griffith" discs). It's still unpredictable. For months, my only problem with Fab has been getting through the initial analyzing; after that, no problems.

Comment

Alfred,

Can you explain this to me?

"For months, my only problem with Fab has been...."

Versus....

"I am evaluating DVDFab to buy...."

when the evaluation period is only 30 days.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Good news that disabling PathPlayer as GregiBoy suggested has been helpful.

In addition, you might want to run through the list of usual suspects in the sticky,
              Tips on Troubleshooting Analyzing/Ripping dvds

Re: dump files, probably a good starting point is:
              Describes how to examine the small memory dump files that are created by Windows if your computer fails.
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                Alfred,

Can you explain this to me?

"For months, my only problem with Fab has been...."

Versus....

"I am evaluating DVDFab to buy...."

when the evaluation period is only 30 days.
                Yes. This means that I have used the free evaluation edition since last year, and after the latest version I thought I would buy it if the lock-up problems ceased. But they haven't.

I've been backing-up for years, and scratches are rarely an insoluble problem with the runnability of a disc in Fab, Decrypter, RipIt, and Shrink. I know how to clean a disc.

Disabling PathPlayer seems to have helped somewhat, but it's totally unpredictable if the computer will freeze when Fab, Decrypter, RipIt, or Shrink begin recognizing the disc.If it does, I restart, then try another program until I have success. Yes irritating and time-consuming.

Thanks for the links. I will study dump files.

--Best regards, Alfred

Comment

Working...
                X