Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe cut in compressing/ripping speed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Severe cut in compressing/ripping speed?

Hello I am new to the forum and have recently purchased the a lifetime sub to dvdfab. Here is the problem during my trial I was getting an average of 4mbps a during the compression/ ripping, and now i am barely getting over 1.5mbps, nothing has changed in my PC (which happens to be a old com I use only for this) I have even formatted to troubleshoot, but the problem is still persisting.This applies to pretty much every DVD I have tested recently, so I am somewhat lost as to what to do next.

Here is a short rundown of what I usually do with the program: customize/saved to folder on my HD option/ then burn with another program.

pretty simple I know

a short time ago I was doing a test and the dvd wouldn't even complete the full compress, the program just shut down completely no error or anything.I retested and it has done it repeatedly

Using 6.2.0.5
    winxp
    pentium 4 CPU 2.40 Ghz
    2.39 Ghz, 512 Ram

on a Pioneer external burner x20 I believe

Like I said it's old but up till a few days ago it worked perfectly, so I am looking for help in fixing this problem obviously, as I just purchased this program and as of right now it doesn't work at all. I will attempt a dvd in a little bit and post a log if one is available.

Have you checked to see if your drive has reverted from DMA to PIO mode?

Click on the green circle in fab and click on check DMA now.

Comment

Hi Berserk007 and welcome,

I don't know why the slow down unless your burner is crapping out.
      Is the external pioneer the only burner you're using?.

I think my good friend Gruñón must have missed that your pioneer is external...there is no issue of DMA ---> PIO mode here as the transfer rate is a function of the usb controller.
      However, I'm guessing that your pc has usb 1 or 1.1 and not usb 2 with such a slow transfer rate.

Are you able to connect the pioneer to another pc and test it?
      Ideally, you could use an older freeware version of nero cd-dvd speed and do what's called a Burst Rate. You'll want to use a dvd that's already been burned and has video files on it.

If the pioneer looks to be ok, I'd toss in a usb 2 PCI card. You should be able to pick one up for $10-$20.

//Edit
      I guess I should ask...how is the Pioneer connected?
      Last edited by maineman; 12-13-2009, 01:49 AM. Reason: clarification
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

DVDFab 6.2.0.5 (2009/12/12 13:23:33)

0m 17.79s: detected dvd
        0m 17.87s: drive F
        0m 17.87s: video dvd 1
        0m 17.87s: volume label SMALLVILLE_SEASON_7_DISC_1
        0m 18.25s: got copyright 1 f0
        0m 19.20s: got udf/iso
        0m 20.81s: got discinfo
        0m 40.23s: got dvdinfo

the thing is I have tested the burner with another burning program and it works perfectly although it takes longer, the burner is conected to the pc with usb 2.0 high speed transfer. I have multiple disc drives and tested the program and the speed does not change. 4mbs was standard not even a week ago and nothing has changed. Also why would the program crash with no record in the log? Even at the low speed it records about 35% of the dvd then the program completely vanishes with no error message or record of the incident.
        Last edited by Berserk007; 12-12-2009, 08:05 PM. Reason: added

Comment

Ok, this is a very different situation than was originally described.
          Now you're telling us that you're using multiple burners and not just an external pioneer and that you're using another burn application(s) that's apparently working ok.

Initially, you stated,
          Originally posted by Berserk007 View Post
          . Here is the problem during my trial I was getting an average of 4mbps a during the compression/ ripping, and now i am barely getting over 1.5mbps, nothing has changed in my PC.
          ...you made mention of ripping speeds only.

You also made mention of testing the pioneer with another burn application, and the burner works, but takes longer???...longer than what?
          Previously, you stated you rip with Fab, but you don't use Fab to burn regardless?

And your problems persist despite reformatting your hdd?

Does the Pioneer read ok? with another ripper besides Fab or even with a software player such as VLC?

I'm very confused.
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

The problem I was having was this : When I attempted to rip a (dvd in dvdfab, not burn) the speed would range from 1.5mbs - 2.5mbs when it was running at a much higher speed a short time before. The way I use the program is that I rip to a folder and use an external program to burn. I used another program to test the burner and when I say it takes longer but works my meaning is that dvdfab takes about 30-45 average to get the job done the other about 2 hours with compression and for whatever reason dvdfab was crashing and failing. Edit: when I said multiple drives I was referring to drives that can allow the program to open the DVD.

I have tested pretty much everything and after taking the suggestion to try the external burner on another com the conclusion is this......my computer is pretty much dead in the water, dvdfab and the burner were cruising at about 6mbs on a com that is speced less than this one (yeah I know). So I am off to get a new one I guess. Thanks for the help, it's been one hell of a frustrating day, hopefully I will be back on here soon with happier news.
            Last edited by Berserk007; 12-12-2009, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X