Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backing up DVD disks on external drive - format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
    A pity that they pulled VLC which was free.
    And "Good Player" too, they cheaped out and dropped support for ac3. I dumped it like a bad habit!
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello formerly Maineman. Just to clarify a small point the following is copied directly from a CNET review of the OP's stated TV set
      "The EX500 can play back video files from attached USB drives.."
      I posted a link to this review earlier. Having said that i agree with you entirely that a media player is the way to go. I have a Sony Bravia 3D Led blah blah blah myself and I can't recollect if I have ever tried connecting direct to the USB with a hdd but I did give the streaming a go over my network and found that to be rubbish so I would expect problems. Sony just doesn't want you to enjoy anything that they're not getting a big drink out of.

Cheers mate

Comment

Originally posted by Garry E View Post
        Hello formerly Maineman. Just to clarify a small point the following is copied directly from a CNET review of the OP's stated TV set
        "The EX500 can play back video files from attached USB drives.."
        I posted a link to this review earlier. Having said that i agree with you entirely that a media player is the way to go. I have a Sony Bravia 3D Led blah blah blah myself and I can't recollect if I have ever tried connecting direct to the USB with a hdd but I did give the streaming a go over my network and found that to be rubbish so I would expect problems. Sony just doesn't want you to enjoy anything that they're not getting a big drink out of.

Cheers mate
        Gotcha and thanks.

It's tough to know for sure if the OP's Bravia is usb "capable" or not...given your link and jump's post.
        I didn't mean to sound like I was taking sides.
        Guess we'll have to wait to hear from the OP.

One thing we're all agreed on...he could really use a media player...
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I agree the media player is an investment I'll have to get. It also looks like I'll need another external hard drive as the 3TB one I have will get full soon judging on how much space the IFO/VBO files are taking up when coping even just the main movie from disk to external hard drive.

I appreciate all the help and comments.

Comment

Originally posted by bevbruce View Post
            Thank you all for your responses. I agree the media player is an investment I'll have to get. It also looks like I'll need another external hard drive as the 3TB one I have will get full soon judging on how much space the IFO/VBO files are taking up when coping even just the main movie from disk to external hard drive.

I appreciate all the help and comments.
            A normal dvd is from 6 to 8 Gb so in a 3 Tb HD you can store from 400 to 500 films (only main movie with 2 languages and 2 subtitles). BD need much more, I need about 1 Tb every year and now I have 5 Tb. Welcome friend.

Comment

When you get your media player, there a various other options for storage of the titles at a smaller size with little if any discernable loss in quality such as MKV.

DVD titles usually fall into the 1-2Gb file size with multiple audio, multiple subtitles, chapter marks and artwork & info embedded.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
              X