DVDfab + VirtualBox + Tiny 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDfab + VirtualBox + Tiny 7

This is a long shot, but I will ask anyway...

I am a Linux user and have used DVDFab under VirtualBox for a long time with no problems. But the setup was an older machine that was licensed (came with) for Windows XP SP2, and I used that under VirtualBox.

However, I have a newer machine that is licensed (came with) for Windows 7. On that machine, I installed Tiny 7 (Rev 01) under VirtualBox (4.1.18 OSE at the moment) for using DVDFab Qt (8.2.2.6 at the moment) while under Linux. When DVDFab tries to read any DVD, encrypted or not, it tries to scan the DVD and then comes up with an error saying "Reading/Writing Error Control" "Error while read! Please choose what to do?" Doesn't matter what I choose, I can never read the disc. But I can browse the disc at the OS level. I can also play an unencrypted disc by just clicking on the drive in Explorer... so I have a feeling it is not a problem with VirtualBox. I tried several versions of DVDFab Qt with no success.

I have attached a file with the relevant parts of the error logs, but don't see anything useful in them.

On this same machine, if I use the Tiny XP virtual machine, I can use DVDFab just fine with no problems. Is there some known problem with Tiny 7 and DVDFab? Is there something I can try changing? I was forced to pay for MS-Windows 7 on this machine, and I would like to use it instead of XP, if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CBR929; 01-11-2013, 02:09 AM. Reason: Fixed logs

Post internal logs
    ...Death Before Dishonor...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonatan View Post
      Post internal logs
      I did attach the logs to the posting. Should I have included the text in the message, instead? I thought attaching it would be more appropriate...

Comment

Hi kitdvd
        I'm a PC, but a read error usually means to clean the disc and try again.
        Also it looks like your trial has expired, but you should still be able to use the free HD decrypter on older movies with limitations e.g. you will not be able to compress or burn.
        Hope this helps
        CBR929
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
          Hi kitdvd
          I'm a PC, but a read error usually means to clean the disc and try again.
          That was my first thought. But I tried on many discs and it gives the same error on all of them. And those same discs read just fine on the same machine, with the same drive, when used with the Windows XP virtual machine.

Comment

Hi kitdvd
            Sorry I can not be of more help.

CBR929
            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
              Hi kitdvd
              Sorry I can not be of more help.

CBR929
              That's OK. Really, this is a long shot, like I said in the original post. I doubt many people have anywhere near a setup like this. But maybe I will get lucky and someone will have a settings idea that could help. Won't know if I don't try!

Comment

Try version 9 if that dont work try disabling pathplayer to see if disc opens
                ...Death Before Dishonor...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonatan View Post
                  Try version 9 if that dont work try disabling pathplayer to see if disc opens
                  When I install and try to run DVDFab9020 (9.0.2.0) I just get a dialog that says "Application Error: The instruction at 0X000000000 referenced memory at 0x000000000. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program".

On a second and subsequent runs, it just pulls up a "Report-Info" crash dialog.

So I then tried 9.0.18 beta just for the heck of it (slightly older). It acts the same as above.

I went back into version 8 and turned off Pathplayer- no change. Still nothing but "Error while reading!". Also manually tried DVD-> Read-> I/O Mode-> Auto, ASPI, and SPTI. No change.
                  Last edited by kitdvd; 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Hi all:
                    Would you please downlaod the special build and test it. thx.

Comment

Originally posted by Potti View Post
                      Hi all:
                      Would you please downlaod the special build and test it. thx.
                      http://download.dvdfab.com/download/DVDFab9021Beta.exe
                      I installed that version. With that version it no longer crashes. I had trouble actually getting the program (copy) to open. But it eventually did open.

It doesn't have any error message when I put a disc in and go into copy mode. It can even tell me the volume label. But it doesn't display any titles or details. When I pretend things are OK and continue, it simply doesn't work, and then displays the "Finish" button with no errors. I tried it again, but still will not actually show the contents of the disc. Also won't "preview" it either.

(You also sent me a private message with the same request- I replied and added the internal log and other info in that message)
                      Last edited by kitdvd; 01-17-2013, 03:27 AM.

Comment

A year later and still not having any luck. Tiny7 + Linux Virtualbox 4.2.16 + DVDFab 9.1.2.5 and/or DVDFab 8.2.3.0. The program launches fine and seems to operate now.... but I still get read errors or it just takes forever on "Open DVD Source" (which I just cancel after 10 or 20 min).

When I jump back to a TInyXP(09) virtual machine, 8.2.3.0 works perfectly and 9.1.2.5 works but has screen corruption issues.

I am worried because DVDFab 9 doesn't display correctly in TinyXP(09) and yet I can't upgrade to Tiny7... DVDFab 8 isn't being updated anymore and can't deal with all protections in 8 anyway. In a few/several more months, I will be "stuck" without a usable solution.

Comment

Working...
                        X