Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It works for the first 18, why not the 19th?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It works for the first 18, why not the 19th?

I have been backing up my copy of the Rurouni Kenshin series (22 disks in all).

I have had no problem backing up disks 1 through 18 but on disk 19 I get to 55.48% and then it freezes. The rate drops to 0.12 MB/s and the remaining time jumps from 25 minutes to 7.5 hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be and possible solutions?

Also, it works for the 20th disk as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ChemNut View Post
      Also, it works for the 20th disk as well.
      Which would suggest that number19 is a faulty disc or has something such as a deep scratch or even just a fingerprint smudge.

Clean the disc and you might want to check it for errors.
      Use VSO inspector or Nero cd speed to check the disc.

Comment

I was thinking something like that to so a borrowed another copy of the same disk from my cousin and his also freezes at the same point.

Comment

It has now dropped to 0.08 MB/s and 12 hours left.

Comment

Check the disc for errors.
            Editing software, video burning, DVD, Bluray, WebM,... and video downloading from the internet. Custom your own videos menu!

Comment

VSO Inspector is not yet done but this is what it has told me so far.

6 sectors have failed all with Code 00 00 00 [No sense information.]

Also, 55.5% Good, 0.0% Problem, and 0.0% Error.

This is about the same place where DVDFab messes up, is there something I can do to just skip these sectors?

Comment

As far as I know if you have one bad sector then you will not be able to copy the disc..

Having said that in settings make sure you have Ignore All Read Errors checked and try it that way.

Comment

Isn't it kind of suspicious that both mine and my cousins disks error at the same places though?

Comment

Did you buy your copies at the same place? There could be a run of units that have slight errors. The regular DVD player probably just skips over them while your PC drive is trying to get an exact copy. Try some glass cleaner and a soft cloth and clean the discs to remove the thin invisible residue that sometimes gets left on the disc during the replication process (always clean in straight strokes back and forth from the center hole out, never in a circle around the disc).

Comment

Isn't it kind of suspicious that both mine and my cousins disks error at the same places though?
                      No. Bad prssings are common and you might have hundreds of bad disc that play without a problem but cannot be copied.

Band of Brothers comes to mind. In many sets of this series disc 4 was almost impossible to copy.

Comment

You said almost impossible to copy, does that mean there might be a way to still back up this DVD?

Comment

You said almost impossible to copy, does that mean there might be a way to still back up this DVD?
                          As I remember it took me 3 days of fighting B of B disc 4 to get a copy that has several minutes missing.

There is no way I can give you the details of how I did it.
                          Too long ago and way too much time involved using several different software programs.

All I can say is if it is important enough for you got copy disc 19 just keep plugging away until something works or you take a hammer to it.

Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

One last question, if I just let it sit and run, will it eventually finish copying or will the time remaining just keep getting bigger and bigger?

Comment

Working...
                              X