Resident Evil Retribution Region 2 DVD Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident Evil Retribution Region 2 DVD Problem

I'd really appreciate any advice on a problem I'm having with this DVD - possibly not the greatest film in the world, but I'm worried this is going to be a problem on more DVDs...

Basically, I put the disc in the drive, and the mouse pointer changes briefly to the 'disc accessing' icon, then back to just a pointer, and it just keeps doing this for a while. I can hear the drive spinning up a bit, then slowing, then spinning. Windows Media Player doesn't see the disc at all, DVDFab doesn't see it either, and if I try to open the D: drive in explorer it just says "insert a disc" and opens the drawer. I can't seem to get my PC to recognise the DVD is even in the drive.

I've tried this on two different retail discs of the same film with the same result, and I put the second one into my XBox 360 just to see if it was damaged or something but it just played straight away, no problems.

I had this problem the other day with another film (Once Apon A Time In Mexico), I figured it must have been a damaged disc but now I'm worried that it's something more significant.

These are the only two discs I've had this problem with, although I did have it with 'Hotel Transylvania' on the first time I put it in but that seemed to fix itself (no idea why).

I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron Zino HD, Windows Media Player, My Movies, and DVDFab 8QT and 9 - any ideas what's happening here, is there anything I can do about it, and is this just the start of me not being able to play DVDs on my media server? Is this something to do with Cinavia (probably not but that's the only reference I can find to this DVD)?

Thanks!
    Harry

Hi Harry,

only an idea: do you have a LG (Blu-Ray) drive in your PC? If yes, this may be the problem... then please re-install old FW to the LG and try again... and after reading to harddrive install the newest FW to LG again...
    Grüße...
    Puebi

Comment

My advice is pick up an external drive, a full sized drive with a power supply, and give it a try.

Another thing to try is open the drive take a Q-Tip and dip one end in alcohol, not drippy wet, clean the laser lens then buff dry it with the dry end.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Many thanks for the advice

After I'd posted this, I successfully ripped another DVD, and just out of curiosity I put the Resident Evil disc back in - no idea why this would make any difference, but this time the PC recognised the disc, DVDFab picked it up, and everything ran normally.
        Thinking back, I'm pretty sure this is what happened with Hotel Transylvania as well - couldn't get it to play, took it out in disgust, did a different disc, then came back to it and it worked...

Problem seems to be fixed for now anyway, but if it comes back and this workaround doesn't work I'll definitely try your suggestions.

Thanks!
        Harry

Comment

Working...
        X