This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAB V6.2.0.5 collapse with firewire PATA drive, V5.2.3.2 works

Hello, That's my first post here, so I want to start with a Best Wishes to all for this seasonal period .

I think I've discovered a little bug affecting management of external drivers connected via Firewire ports.

Up to few days ago I've always used DVD fad 5.2.3.2 without any problem, both with my very old internal burner drive, a Nec 2510 (firmware region free) and my external PATA Liteon 20A1H, placed inside a USB2.0/firewire external enclosure and connected via firewire cable.

Due to backup problems with the new 2009 Star Trek movie, I've installed the new trial version of DVD FAB 6.2.0.5, but now each time I try to access movies on the firewire unit, during the "opening source" step, just afer the disk region code selection, the program collapse without any error message.

I can partially remediate using my old internal drives for ripping, but they are slower and accesssible to potential problems (like my 3 yers old curious child ), or by using the USB 2.0 connection of the box, but If possible I would be happier to use the faster and more reliable Firewire plug, expecially for burning issues.

I don't think it's a big bug, since older version 5 worked without any trouble on the same system, only reason to update was recogniction of new protection patterns.

If you do have suggestions about how to fix it, I can be your happy guinea pig .

other useful info on my system :

Software installed
    -OS : Fresh install (less than 2 months ago) of WinXP SP3 Ita pro full patched and updated to today.
    ADAPTEC ASPI Layer updated to 4.71.2
    Latest AMD chipset and graphic drivers.
    Nero 6.6.1.15a ITA
    Power DVD 6 ITA
    VideoLAN10
    Kaspersky IS 2010
    DVDinfoPro PRO HD
    ULTRAISO 8.0.0.1392
    Tomtom Home 2.6
    SmartRipper241

My Hardware :
    - CPU AMD 940 BE (quad core 3.0 Ghz)
    - MOBO : DFI 790GXJr (chipset AMD 790GX + AMD 750 SB) with embedded Radeon 3300 video card.
    - Dedicated PCI firewire card, based on a VIA VT 676397 chip.
    - HD : 3 Seagate 250 GB conected in RAID 0 and 5 array (a single 50 GB raid 0 array for OS & software and a 460 GB Raid 5 drive for data)
    - Optical drives :
    a) Pioneer 116 Drive (PATA internal reader) Firmware 1.22 region free (primar master)
    b) NEC 2510A PATA internal burner, firmware 2.FA region free (secondary slave), mostly used for CD burning
    c) PI 042 IEE 1394 SBP2 compatible box (5.25 Hamlet Firewire / USB2.0 BOX) with a PATA LiteOn LH-20A1H burner firmware LLOD region free, mostly used for ripping and DVD burning
    - 2x2gb G-Skill DDR2 RAM modules 1100 Mhz (currently set to 800 Mhz, dual channel, to reduce heat production and noisiness of the system)
    - Enermax Liberty 500 W Power supply

-Copy of last two DVD fab operations as present on DVD fab internal log : First part of the log is about external firewire unit, second part is about same title on internal unit

DVDFab 6.2.0.5 (2009/12/23 12:52:25)

0m 44.56s: detected dvd
    0m 44.60s: drive M
    0m 44.60s: video dvd 1
    0m 44.60s: volume label XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    1m 42.15s: got copyright 1 fd
    1m 42.78s: got udf/iso

DVDFab 6.2.0.5 (2009/12/23 12:55:16)

0m 06.84s: detected dvd
    0m 06.90s: drive L
    0m 06.90s: video dvd 1
    0m 06.90s: volume label XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    0m 09.18s: got copyright 1 fd
    0m 09.75s: got udf/iso
    0m 11.71s: got discinfo
    0m 30.39s: got dvdinfo

Again, best wishes and merry Christmas to all

Gyxx

Originally posted by Gyxx View Post
    If you do have suggestions about how to fix it, I can be your happy guinea pig .
    Get a NEW internal burner, they are pretty CHEAP !!!
    AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Best way to check drives is to install them in another pc and in your case try them hooked up using firewire and internally to another pc.
      "You've got a hole in your soul if you don't dig the Blues"

Keith Richards ~ "If You Want The Last Laugh........Join The Rolling Stones"

Click to join forum.dvdfab.com

Comment

Originally posted by AlienX69 View Post
        Get a NEW internal burner, they are pretty CHEAP !!!
        Hemm .... I don't want to be unpolite but you probably haven't read what i wrote. and please don' shout . I know I can get a low quality LG SATA burner for 22 Euros.

I have free space in my PC, the spare ports and bay nedeed to use the LiteOn internally (that, by the way, is one of the finest drive ever produced, in terms of burning quality, ripping speed and quality support scan, it produces an average of 500 PIF on a 12x burn DVD, take a look at cdfreaks to get more info ), but I don't want to use an internal DVD unit, since it is accessible to the hands of my son ....

I'm not a PC or DVD burning / ripping rookie, I've just find out a bug in the software that was not present in an earlier version. And I've chosen to submit to this forum rather than trying immediately another software . If it is impossible to resolve, since mine hardware is working perfectly with any other software or environment, my first option is to change the ripping software before the evaluation period ends .

Originally posted by Bob View Post
        Best way to check drives is to install them in another pc and in your case try them hooked up using firewire and internally to another pc.
        The LiteOn in the external enclosure works perfectly with any other software, and with at least other 7 PCs / Notebooks owned by me / by friends of mine, again the problem IS NOT my hardware but a little bug in the managment of firewire external unit.

The bug is not present in earlier 5.2.3.2 version but is present in version 6.2.0.5

Best wishes to all, and anyway thanks for the replies .

Gyxx

Comment

Up to few days ago I've always used DVD fad 5.2.3.2 without any problem.
          I've installed the new trial version of DVD FAB 6.2.0.5
          If you already had DVDFab installed for more than 30 days then installing the latest version does not give you a trial again. If you have bought it then just request a DVDFab6 key from DVDFab website and register since you said you have been using version 5.2.3.2 for sometime now.

I'm not a PC or DVD burning / ripping rookie, I've just find out a bug in the software that was not present in an earlier version. And I've chosen to submit to this forum rather than trying immediately another software . If it is impossible to resolve, since mine hardware is working perfectly with any other software or environment, my first option is to change the ripping software before the evaluation period ends
          Now you saying you have not bought DVDFab well from what you have said so far it sounds like you are using a hacked version of DVDFab so I sure hope you clarify yourself better

Comment

How does that old saying go? If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, then baffle them with your B.S.
            That's what i think the deal is, in this case lol..
            "They say that dog is man's best friend, but they are wrong. Man is dog's best friend. But a dog that will lay down his life to protect his master is man's best friend and a dog that will turn and run at the threat of danger is no friend at all."

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
              If you already had DVDFab installed for more than 30 days then installing the latest version does not give you a trial again. If you have bought it then just request a DVDFab6 key from DVDFab website and register since you said you have been using version 5.2.3.2 for sometime now.

Now you saying you have not bought DVDFab well from what you have said so far it sounds like you are using a hacked version of DVDFab so I sure hope you clarify yourself better
              First of all, thanks for your answer.

Mine answer is very simple and clear, with no space for missundestanding.

As I had already wrote in the first message, I just have changed my PC, with the old one I downloaded and give a try to the DVDFab 5.3.2, while my main ripper was the old and reliable Smartxxxxx.

I tried its own recompression algorythm, but in my opinion was not sufficent. Even if the decrypter and the editing function were interesting. Since the decription was for free, I sometimes used it. And as usual for an interesting tool, I kept the downloaded installation file.

There is no need for me to crack/hack anything, since I just used the free functions of the software.

I do always use DVDshrink for compressing video streaming, due to its great quality (I know i had not to talk about other's software, but in this case i have to in orer to explain what you have to know, sorry if it may disturb you).

Even this software have no problem in decripting DVD from firewire unit. But as you know, it is not able to open the new DVDs due to the improved protections appplied.

Now that it's christmas vacation time, I had the chance to go for shops and buy some new DVD that I wanted to backup before son's attack , and i had also the time to play with protection and evaluate new version of old tools I've not yet installed on my new PC.

While evaluating the 6.2.0.5 version of the software, I've seen that the recompression performance and the ripping capability/speed has been improved interestingly, making it a tool to look at and pheraphs buy, expecially in pesrpective of the next hardware buying I have in mind, a blue ray burner unit.

Of course, since I do have a little child, I want to keep the important optical drives on my desktop and not in the case, far away from its hand.

And in evaluating buying of new software, the ability to control external unti is a key feature for me.

By the way, I have chosen an aluminium case with a front panel that hides the 5.25 bays for the same reasons, and, as you can imagine, I'm not happy to open it each time I do have to put DVDs inside.

You can agree or not with this choice, but anyway it's mine choice and i do agree with it .

I thought that in any case I had to give a feedback to the communith that is developing / testing the software, since I do think that I have found a bug on the software I'm trying.

It's not the first time form me that I register in a forum to report the bug of a program, for me it's a normal thing.

I'm quite surprised that in four replies nobody has asked more techincal details, suggested registry key to monitor / change or other technical issues, but I think it's a metter of winter vacation.

I hope this clarify your questions, again Merry Christmas / winter vacations to everybody.

Gyxx
              Last edited by AGJ; 12-24-2009, 08:57 AM. Reason: edited info

Comment

well I do not use a firewire external so can not reply for that but I do use a USB external and latest DVDFab works with that. Also I am sure fengtao will see this thread and look into the issue and thanks for clarifying what I asked. You say you are using version 6.2.0.5 well why not download and install the latest beta to give that a try to see if it works. Here is link for that below

I am sure another memeber will respond who has something similar to what you have but have to give them time since it is the holidays right now. Also Merry Christmas back at you. I also edited part of the name off of one program but they both have not been updated in over 2 years so are not really competition for DVDFab.
                Last edited by AGJ; 12-24-2009, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your kind reply.

Hadn't seen the beta relase, just installed and it works perfectly, at least with the 2 DVD I've tried to rip (old stardust ita and star trek XI ita ).

So up to now the bug belongs just to the last official release.

Just for your additionalò information : the 30 days activation counter was resetted after this beta installation, both DVD Fab 5.2.3.2 and 6.2.0.5 were installed and activated on this computer on the 12th of december 09.

It seems strange to me, but I can assure you I had made not strange thighs, just run the uninstall and the new setup (without reboot, the system didn't asked for it so I went straingh).

Thanks again for your suggestion, Best Wishes and Merry Christmasto all of you at dvd Fab Forum / staff site again.

Gyxx

Comment

Well glad it up and working for you now and enjoy the holidays with the family

Comment

Working...
                    X