DMA setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMA setting

I was just curious as to why the "check DMA and the reset DMA" are grayed out and not selectable in version 9042. I can understand it on my Win7 box with Sata drives but not on my XP box with Pata drives. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Frankster91; 05-27-2013, 04:19 PM.

Version 9042 also changes all the settings as well.

Comment

As to me, the DMA Settings of DVDFab is useless.
      Beacause, the DMA of my PC is always works well.
      I'm not a genius, but to make every effort to do it.
      Edison

Comment

The DMA setting is greyed out in the 9.0.4.3 Beta as well. Is this setting being done away with?
        I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer 236H (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Crucial M500 120 GB SSD, WD 2 TB Black HDDs, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Comment

Mike89 with your system specs. I have to believe your IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers are AHCI which renders DMA meaningless in any case.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Nope I still have everything configured IDE. I'm not really that concerned about it since I've never used the feature before anyway, I was just curious why it's greyed out when it never was before. If it's going to be done away with, then it shouldn't even be there rather than have it there and greyed out.
            Last edited by Mike89; 06-02-2013, 12:24 AM.
            I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer 236H (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Crucial M500 120 GB SSD, WD 2 TB Black HDDs, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Comment

Well then if you hit the magic number of I/O errors the controller will revert to PIO only mode the SATA drives notwithstanding. Here is a little script that will reset all drives to DMA, I scanned it but you better make sure it didn't pick up any insects along the way.
              Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Already have it thanks. This topic is getting sidetracked here. This isn't about actually resetting DMA, it's about why DVDFab has the option greyed out now when it was never greyed out in previous versions.

Comment

Really? If a greyed out box is your problem you'll need to take that up with a developer.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm in a developer forum, you're a mod, and that's the advice you're giving me? I didn't even start this thread to begin with. It's a valid issue and I was simply stating it. How do you think other issues get answered? By posting them. Maybe someone will answer this that knows. Obviously you don't know.

Comment

This is a user forum not a developer forum and none of us users are going to know why the box is greyed out. You're right I don't know and don't really care about appearance issues in the GUI. Developers happen by once in a while maybe they'll see this and offer an explanation or a fix. If you don't care to wait the member's site offers tech support. You're right about another thing I am a moderator so check the attitude.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't have an attitude. You kept changing the subject of the thread, I called you on it, that's it. You gonna call that an attitude go ahead. I'm done with this thread.

Comment

DVDFab is trying to fix this issue, I think
                          However, the DMA settings is not affecting the speed. This is the key point to me.
                          I'm not a genius, but to make every effort to do it.
                          Edison

Comment

One quick way to know is copy a disk to the hard drive using no compression, if the computer is using a DMA channel there will be little to no CPU activity. That's the beauty of DMA the data goes straight from one drive to the other via the data bus and the speed is limited by the drive speeds. If the controller has reverted to PIO only mode every bit of every byte must pass through the CPU and that slows things down to a crawl even on a fast machine:
                            Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

The DMA settings is affecting the system speed. There is an issue in the Fab DMA settings and we are trying to fix it. Please wait for the fixed release.

Comment

Working...
                              X