This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong language or language changes between VOB files

Help! I am using the DVD to DVD option and I specify English with the following options:
    copy DVD-Video (VIDEO_TS folder)
    Quality DVD9

Source is my DVD drive and the target is a USB drive. I am populating my dvd library for Windows Media Center and the problem I am facing is some (not all) DVDs play in non-English languages (spanish, French, German) are a few I recognize. Also, I noticed that at times one or two of the DVD VOB files will be English and the last couple will be in a different language. This morning I loaded one DVD with no problems. The second DVD is only in French. I also exited and restarted the dvdfab application thinking a variable was not properly initialized but got the same result. Any help/advice?

Here is some additional information from the log files:

burn_vso.log <snip>
    2009-12-30 12:16:51 ---- ******************** Log session stop 30-Dec 12:16:51.691 PID 8096********************
    2009-12-30 11:17:54 Info Current Drive selected : 0:0:0 - TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652D GA01 [E] (Ide)
    2009-12-30 11:17:54 Info Using Advanced SPTI interface
    2009-12-30 11:17:54 Info System default language : English (United States)
    2009-12-30 11:17:54 Info User default language : English (United States)
    2009-12-30 11:17:54 Info DLL Version : 4.0.5.464
    2009-12-30 11:17:54 Info DLL : C:\Program Files\DVDFab 6\vso_hwe.dll
    2009-12-30 11:17:54 Info Version : 6, 2, 0, 5
    2009-12-30 11:17:54 Info ExeName : C:\Program Files\DVDFab 6\DVDFab.exe
    2009-12-30 11:17:54 Info OS : Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)
    2009-12-30 11:17:54 ---- ******************** Log session start 30-Dec 11:17:54.727 PID 8096********************
    <snip>

internal.log <snip>
    DVDFab 6.2.0.5 (2009/12/30 12:18:22)

0m 22.66s: detected dvd
    0m 22.69s: drive E
    0m 22.69s: video dvd 1
    0m 22.69s: volume label HP_PRISONER_OF_AZKABAN_DISC1
    0m 32.83s: got copyright 1 fe
    0m 33.32s: got udf/iso
    0m 34.00s: got discinfo
    0m 58.92s: got dvdinfo
    <snip>

process.log <snip>
    22:45:58: You are going to try "DVD to DVD" option.
    22:45:59: Analyzing of DVD started
    22:45:59: Analyzing of DVD completed successfully
    22:45:59: Copy process started
    22:49:16: Task_1 failed! Error=400()
    <snip>
    Note: I think the 400 error was from a previous attempt based on the file's modified timestamp.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 5000+ (2600Mhz, 2 Core(s))
    Memory: 4GB

make sure you are selecting english within media center to play the movie in

Comment

I will check

Why would the default change from DVD to DVD?

Comment

when you do dvd to dvd the language does not get changed but the playback software you use does change and you need to select language in that

Comment

New Data Point

I swicthed to the "Main Movie" option and the same DVD is now in English. It seems to me that something is wrong with the dvdfab application.

Comment

no it a problem with your computer and playback software as I did that harry potter movie and have no problems with the language

Comment

You seem confident in your conclusion. How do you explain the situation where I noticed that two out of 5 VOB files were not in English? In other words, I open and play the first 3 VOB files (as MPEG) and they are in English and the last two are in a different language. Same DVD, same playback software yet different languages.

Comment

You should not be playing the VOB files directly as the information on the language streams, subtitles, etc are held in the IFO files.

You should be playing from the FOLDER which contains the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS subdirectories.

If your player software will not do this, please download and test with VLC Player (It's FREE)
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

The IFO file used is the VIDEO_TS.IFO. Do you know of a good ifo file editor/decoder?

Comment

I generally use IFOEdit. Just GOOGLE it.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by bbowlin View Post
                      The IFO file used is the VIDEO_TS.IFO. Do you know of a good ifo file editor/decoder?
                      Any good softplayer should be able to just open the folder without having to actually open the IFO.

Comment

You seem confident in your conclusion. How do you explain the situation where I noticed that two out of 5 VOB files were not in English? In other words, I open and play the first 3 VOB files (as MPEG) and they are in English and the last two are in a different language. Same DVD, same playback software yet different languages.
                        Yes I am confident with my conclusion because if the files was played correctly that would not happen for you

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                          Yes I am confident with my conclusion because if the files was played correctly that would not happen for you
                          When using VOB files directly in a software player, it will play the first available audio stream no matter the preference audio setting because the player does not know what language the stream is in. In general, only by playing the IFO file, either by selecting the DVD folder or VIDEO_TS.IFO file, will the player know what language it is in.

If the last two VOBs are in a different language other than English, they probably are. Check the respective IFO what the available audio streams are. There is also a chance when the Language attribute is not defined in the IFO, in which case only by playing will you know what language it is.
                          Last edited by toaddub; 12-31-2009, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X