No announcement yet.

DVDFab will not burn to disk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, the best disks you can purchase for your money are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden which is a Japanese company.

This Wikipedia page has some information under "history" and "Recording Media"

Last I knew, there are only a very small group of companies which manufacture Recordable Optical Media. Then what happens is the media is often times sold in auction lots to other corporations which then Re-brand them with their own Brand. (do they still do it by auction?)

There is a very handy piece of software (I don't recall the name) which can read the media code which can be found along the hub of each disk. Wish I could recall the name. It's very useful for cataloging different brands as to what manufacturer, type of disk, type of dye, speed rating, etc....

Maybe someone here will remember or know what the software is.

Comment

Your drive is old have windows search for new firmware and drivers in device manager as there's versions 1.02 and 1.03 but these are not from the drives internet sight and contain other junk and toolbars you don't want and I don't trust them.

The firmware link provided is a trusted sight and the same one img burn uses for firmware updates.Your drives not on it I looked already for you.

ゲゲゲの鬼太郎 :Img burn can tell you media type.
      Last edited by glenns; 11-21-2013, 03:23 AM.

Comment

LOL

Forgot that Imgburn could do that, but at the same time, the software that I was referring to was a lot more useful in the information it could provide on the various recordable disks, not just the manufacturer.

As for Taiyo Yuden disks, the Wikipedia article mentions there are some companies out there which have been illegally using Taiyo Yuden media Codes on their disks to make buyers think that their disks are the real deal. But you'll pay for it in lost data when the dye layer breaks down in 8 months (+/-) or so.

Must be an old or re-branded drive if it's not listed on that firmware site, I've used that place for years only rarely needing to search manufacturer sites.

As it is, hard drives are cheap enough now that I just copy everything I want to save to hard drive. I've currently got about 10 TBs of Japanese Anime and I've got more on disk which hasn't been copied yet. Now I'm contemplating redoing my entire collection from DVD rips to .Mkv to save space.

Well, let's hope that Robert and Jeep can get their problems straightened out.
        I've contributed what little useful information I could in way of a reputable firmware site and best disks to use.

Comment

ゲゲゲの鬼太郎 :Is the program your thinking about called Media information?

Comment

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, went to bed shortly after my last reply.

Been doing a bit of searching this morning to try and find what the program was and there are several media reader programs out there which seem to do the job.

DISCInfo from 2006 seems to be familiar. There is no installation needed and no registry entries either.

Another one is DVD Identifier with the later version being from 2009 including BlueRay support.

I just downloaded both of them but haven't had the chance to check them out yet. had to change IP addresses several times to get past Open DNS to find one that OpenDNS wasn't blocking because some OpenDNS users from those addresses were not letting the addresses go after they were done with them. (Dynamic IP addresses) One of the domains I needed to acccess was blocked because some idiot had it classified under Adware and even though it was not blocked under my OpenDNS profile, it is on other profiles.

Comment

Robert Conklin, with all the problems I've seen with this version I have to believe that it pooched the registry during install. I always do a clean uninstall before installing the next version and don't see all these issues. I burned an RW disk today with all four burning engines available with no problems just to verify. Here are the steps I take if you are interested:

1. Uninstall DVDFab with the uninstaller provided by Fab including preferences.
              2. Browse to C:\windows\prefetch and remove all files associated with DVDFab.
              3. Run ccleaner on the registry scan until it finds no registry errors, may take multiple scans. There is a free version of ccleaner Google it or download here:
              4. Reboot on the clean registry - may or may not be necessary but I do it.
              5. Reinstall

This procedure will require reboot again after install and setting your preferences again but it cures many ills.
              Last edited by 90312; 11-22-2013, 01:02 AM.
              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X