Real slow copy/burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real slow copy/burn

Been using 9.0.7.2. Just started using 9.1.0.6. Found my copy burn times went from about 12 minutes per disk to about 1 hour and 32 minutes per disk. That's for a normal DVD9 to DVD5 conversion and burn. What happened in 9.1.0.6? As a test I did the same source disk using the exact same parameters, just did it once using 9.0.7.2 and again using 9.1.0.6. The times for a burn of an old James Bond Dr. No was 12:32 in 9.0.7.2 and 1:34:28 in 9.1.0.6. That's over 1 hour and 20 minutes to do exactly the same thing. Anyone else seeing extra long copy/burn times? Gone back to 9.0.7.2 for now.

Post your internal and
    burn logs see link below on how to.

Comment

I just tried 9.1.0.6 with the oldest disc I had at hand, LOTR, and start to finish burn @ 8X took 19 minutes. I'm fine with that.

What takes so long the rip or the burn?
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

I'd be glad to post the logs, but when I open Windows Explorer (Windows 7 Pro SP1), and look at the C:\ drive, I see the entry for the Documents and Settings folder, but it has a small icon of a lock on the folder icon, and when I click on the folder, I get the error message "C:\Documents and Settings is not accessible. Access is denied." So I can't get to that subdirectory to see and post the logs. How do I get access to a locked folder, from your comment it appears that it should be straight forward, but it isn't to me. By the way, I am the only user and do have full administrator privileges as far as I know.
        Last edited by w2ec; 11-20-2013, 03:16 AM. Reason: Add comment to end for clarification.

Comment

It appears that it may be during the rip operation, as the "time left" indicator tells me to expect well over an hour, rather than the 13 minutes using 9.0.7.2. This happens within the first few minutes of starting the copy, so I'm sure it is no where near the "write to disk" phase.

Comment

You can key the windows key on you keyboard or click the windows symbol on the task bar and select documents and find the subfolder there.
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks to all, I have found the log files - on Windows 7 and 8 they are at C:\Users\(username)\My Documents (there are two folders, pick the one without the link arrow)\DVDFab9\Log. Someone may wish to update the Help page that was referenced earlier to reflect Win 7 and Win 8 systems.

As to my problem, now that I could find the logs, I see it was the write phase that caused the delay. The copy phase was completed in 6 minutes, but then it took nearly an hour and a half to write the data out. I originally copied from drive D: to drive E:, both are BD writers. Last night I reran the test to confirm the problem and it still existed. I then reran the test but copied from drive E: to drive D: This time the test ran as expected, about 10 minutes total for copy/write. This morning I swapped out drive E: for another BD drive and reran from drive D: to drive E: This was also successful, same elapsed time of about 10 minutes, so it looks like my original drive E: had some problems writing disks.

Of course, I may go back to 9.0.7.2 anyway, as I don't like the look of the newer 9.1.0.6 menu, I like having the advanced menu displayed automatically, rather than forcing us to click on the button to get it. And in all honesty, I much prefer the interface of DVDFab8 over the new interface, but that's just my preference. As it is, looks like my issue with DVDFab9 is resolved, it appears to have been a drive hardware failure.

Comment

Reading your last post, what was the make and model of the burner that was causing the burn problems. I am having similar problems with what appears to be some type of conflict between my new burner I just had installed, which is an LG GH24NSBOB, and the VSO burn engine. When I changed to the DVDFab
                engine my burns went back to what they were before in both FAB 8229 and 9063. My burns before changing the burner were around 8 to 9x. My burns after the changed were no higher than 1.8x using the VSO engine.

Comment

Burner type

The drive I had problems with was an ASUS BD-ROM/DVD Rewriter, model BC-1281ST. However I don't think it is a general fault with the brand/model of the drive as I have 4 of these same drives in other machines (2 per machine) and have never had any problems with them. I had just purchased these two drives to put in a new system to replace the single DVD writer it came with, with two BD writers (system is an HP Envy i7). One drive is working fine. I took the drive I had problems with back to the store, they swapped it for another (same make/model) and that one has been working fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X