X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lagging/freezing rips

Hi,

I just bought DVDFab, so I am a little bit of a newbee with it. But here's my question/problem:

When I rip a DVD regardless of copy-protection or not, the result is lagging/freezing pictures typical within every 20 seconds, when I playback the rip from my harddrive. I have not burned yet, because I don't want to waste a DVD.

It makes no difference, if I'm using the "Full Disc" or the "Clone" option.

In addition I can say, that I don't have this problem with DVDshrink (except it can't read copy-protected DVD's).

Have anybody else experienced this lagging/freezing problem ?

No, never had a problem like that.

You should post the version of Fab you have installed and perhaps some info about your system (OS, RAM, DVD writer; internal external etc).

To me it sounds like you have some processes running that is eating up your cpu leaving no time for (Windows Media Center? or PowerDVD?) what you are trying to play it with. That inof would also be helpful.

Comment

Yep post more info as Karloff suggests.

You should have NO Lagging/freezing, it is doing the same on ALL extractions ? Name some of the titles ?

You did purchase DVDFab from dvdfab.com or dvdfab.net .... Yes ?
      AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Hi again,

Thanks for a quick reply

I just tried a fourth DVD-movie "Der Untergang" (english title "Downfall" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/) with the "Full Disc" option, and the result is the same It is lagging/freezing in the same places every time while watching, so it must be the ripped files causing it and not the playback itself.

I monitored my CPU-usage while ripping the movie (the PC doing nothing else), and it was not more than average of 2-4 % and no peaks at all. It took approximately 30 minutes (DVD9).

System-info: Asus P5K3 Deluxe motherboard, Pentium Q9550 CPU (not overclocked), 4 GB ram, internal Optiarc 7173 DVD-burner, Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3, DVDfab version 6.2.1.8 just bought on DVDfab.com, and I have registered it aswell.

I live in Scandinavia, so we are talking Region 2 movies.

Just to be sure I afterwards ripped the same DVD using DVDshrink (PC doing nothing else and CPU-usage average 33-40 %) and again no lagging or freezing at all watching the ripped files.

I always use Windows Mediaplayer 11 to watch/verify the rips, and I have never experienced this problem before.

I just don't get it

Comment

I'm puzzled, Shrink works but DVDFab don't, any other titles you have tried ? The only thing I can think of is R2 of Downfall is a problem.

Originally posted by Andor View Post
          I always use Windows Mediaplayer 11 to watch/verify the rips, and I have never experienced this problem before.
          Try a different softplayer, i.e. VLC just to check. You never had a problem before, so the new equation is DVDFab ?

What happens if you view the DVD with DVDFab's preview window ? Select "Main Movie" and select the Movie title, one with the largest play time. Does it skip during the playback ?

PS:
          Have to run to the store, maybe someone can pickup from here !!!
          Last edited by AlienX69; 01-03-2010, 06:58 PM.
          AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

I'm puzzled too indeed !

I have just tried with the "Main Movie" option. That didn't help either.

I can't agree, that it is Downfall R2, that is the problem. I have also tried the following R2 titles: "Wallander - Cellisten" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1492645/), "Bronson" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172570/) and "Inside" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/).

Every title have the exact same lagging/freezing problem

I suppose DVDfab can't have a problem with R2 DVD's generally (can anybody confirm problems with Region 2 DVD's in general ?). The only thing I immediately can conclude is, it seems to be DVDfab somehow causing the problem when reading the DVD's on my PC.

My DVDfab is configured as recommended, so I don't know, what I maybe should try to change. The Read I/O Mode is "Auto", all the Protection options are enabled and so is the Pathplayer.

The preview function in DVDfab does exact the same lagging/freezing as Windows Mediaplayer.

My hair is getting grey ...
            Last edited by Andor; 01-03-2010, 07:34 PM.

Comment

For a start, it would be an idea to list some more details here as requested before.

Version of Fab
              Where did you buy it
              and other details as asked for in the "help Us Help You" thread (Link below)
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Go ahead and burn a DVD, an RW if you have one. You can at the least narrow it down to FAB or the softplayer.
                How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi GregiBoy,

As written my system-info is this: Asus P5K3 Deluxe motherboard, Pentium Q9550 CPU (not overclocked), 4 GB ram, internal Optiarc 7173 DVD-burner, Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3, DVDfab version 6.2.1.8 just bought on DVDfab.com, and I have registered it aswell.

I have attached the three DVDfab log-files, I have (they are not big). I can't bring you any error-messages, since I don't get any except for error=401 just one time.

Other DVD-software installations on my PC:

DVD Shrink 3.2
                  DVD Decryptor 3.5.4.0
                  ImageBurn 2.4.3.0
                  Nero Premium 7
                  CloneDVD2 2.0.9.4

As far as I can see, I have written the information requested from "Help us to help you" now or earlier. If I am wrong, please tell me what else you need
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well, all I can suggest is the same as 90312 suggested.

Burn one and report back on how it plays in an actual set top player.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

When I rip a DVD regardless of copy-protection or not, the result is lagging/freezing pictures typical within every 20 seconds, when I playback the rip from my harddrive.

In addition I can say, that I don't have this problem with DVDshrink (except it can't read copy-protected DVD's).
                      Just to be sure I afterwards ripped the same DVD using DVDshrink (PC doing nothing else and CPU-usage average 33-40 %) and again no lagging or freezing at all watching the ripped files.

I always use Windows Mediaplayer 11 to watch/verify the rips
                      I have never experienced this problem before.
                      What changed, if you never experienced this problem before ? ? ?

Extract the same DVD title with DVDFab and DVDShrink to separate folders and the Shrink folder plays fine, but the DVDFab rip skips .... hummm

I'm baffled, and doubt a burn will correct the playback wilth regards to the Windows Mediaplayer 11. Might playback on a standalone, which would make the Windows Mediaplayer 11 the culprit

Do you have VLC installed ? If not install it, it's FREE. We need to test on another softplayer i.e. VLC, I mostly use PowerDVD, very old, but very reliable !!

EDIT: Wait you have Nero installed, Nero has a softplayer, YES ? Well at least it did quite a few years ago, when I tried .... I hate Nero its a resource HOG !!! But use Nero's softplayer to test the DVDFab extraction.
                      Last edited by AlienX69; 01-04-2010, 01:09 PM.
                      AX

Comment

I'm sorry for the late response. I haven't been much at home the last few days.

GregiBoy and 90312: I burned one on a RW, and it plays in my standalone player exactly, as I though it would. That means with the exact same lagging and freezing pictures as in Mediaplayer. I have also tried several other DVD's, which went perfectly well with DVDShrink but not with DVDfab. Same problem with them all. I tried them right after each other to be sure nothing would be different. The problem is caused by DVDfab and not in the playback.

AlienX69: I have no softplayer in my Nero. With "I have never experienced this problem before" I meant problems with copying/playing DVD's before I bought DVDfab. Installing other players will not help me, as my standalone player also fails to play the DVDfab ripped DVD's but not DVDshrink, ImageBurned or DVDDecryptor ripped DVD's.

I simply can't understand why, and it is starting to irritate me. The reason for bying DVDfab was just to be able to make backups of my copy-protected DVD's

Comment

I don't have any new idea for your lagging/freezing rips issue. However, just a few thoughts and observations for you:

... My DVDfab is configured as recommended, so I don't know, what I maybe should try to change. The Read I/O Mode is "Auto", all the Protection options are enabled and so is the Pathplayer. ...
                          Read-ahead cache enabled in the Common Settings?

... internal Optiarc 7173 DVD-burner ...

I have attached the three DVDfab log-files, I have (they are not big). I can't bring you any error-messages, since I don't get any except for error=401 just one time.
                          Noticed that in the attached dvdfab_internal.log there were a couple of references to a H: drive(?) when your Optiarc is recognized as G: drive:

"...
                          DVDFab 6.2.1.8 (2010/01/02 22:01:30)

0m 01.75s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
                          0m 06.36s: detected dvd
                          0m 06.36s: drive H
                          0m 06.36s: video dvd 0
                          0m 06.36s: volume label

DVDFab 6.2.1.8 (2010/01/02 22:17:37)

0m 01.40s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
                          0m 06.26s: detected dvd
                          0m 06.26s: drive H
                          0m 06.26s: video dvd 0
                          0m 06.26s: volume label
                          ..."

Other DVD-software installations on my PC:

DVD Shrink 3.2
                          DVD Decryptor 3.5.4.0
                          ImageBurn 2.4.3.0
                          Nero Premium 7
                          CloneDVD2 2.0.9.4
                          I've no experience with DVD Decryptor and CloneDVD2 but could they be conflicting with DVDFab's operation?

Comment

Hi TLI,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the read-ahead cache is enabled.

I have to identical Optiarc-drives, which are drive G: and H:.

DVD Decryptor is the predecessor to ImageBurn.

The idea has occured to me about a conflict between the different programs, but they are not running at the same time. I do not run other DVD-programs simultaneously with DVDfab.

I would also be very sorry to re-install my PC just for one the sake of one program. Maybe I should try and delete the other DVD-software, although it seems illogical to me.

Comment

Packet writing software is the worst to interfere. Nero InCD and that sort of program that let you read and write to an RW CD/DVD like a standard disk.
                              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X