Copying to a remote network HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying to a remote network HDD

Until today I have been backing up to a local external HDD. The transfer rate would always vary a little but always between 4-8GB/s. When I move the external HDD to a different device in another room the transfer rate drops below 1GB/s. Is there a way to speed this up. BTW, all LAN connections are wired.

Originally posted by ram1009 View Post
    Until today I have been backing up to a local external HDD. The transfer rate would always vary a little but always between 4-8GB/s. When I move the external HDD to a different device in another room the transfer rate drops below 1GB/s. Is there a way to speed this up. BTW, all LAN connections are wired.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant MB/s not GB/s.

Comment

Unfortunately no....

I always rip/transcode to a local disc and then move the file to network storage.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
        Unfortunately no....

I always rip/transcode to a local disc and then move the file to network storage.

You don't say why you always rip locally. As stated, my reason would be speed. I don't know that ripping and moving would be any faster than ripping remotely. I think what I will probably do is rip to a portable HDD and move it to a different location for viewing. My basic problem is that my WD Live HUB (yes, I know) began stuttering over my LAN and I did something to make it worse although I don't know what and can't fix it. Now my HUB can't even view the folders my VOBs are in. The HUB does play OK through its USB port hence my current plan.

Comment

Yeah, sheer speed and convenience as I generally queue up transcodes overnight then invoke batch processes to do the copying in the morning.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
          X