This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Region problems

Using DVDFab 6218, and have tried to burn a region 4 (so says WMP) DVD (Three Kings) on my laptops region 2 burner. DVDFab did it, but when I play it on VLC it takes 20 seconds of black screen to get to the menu page, and then doesn't play anything when you select the movie. I ran DVD Decrypter separately and it said the files had Uops protection, which it removed. But I still can't play the files on anything. I have 3 attempts left on my drive before it sticks to a region. I even tried running DVD43 to remove the region code, and it failed and spat out the disk!!

I have just discovered that my drive was set to region 2 instead of 4. So have reset it to 2 and WMP plays it fine from the disk. So I'll now try and re-rip it with DVD-Fab, but still don't understand why DVD-Fab couldn't process it OK, as I thought it was meant to ignore region coding.

Comment

"I have just discovered that my drive was set to region 2 instead of 4. So have reset it to 2."
      Your statement is confusing to me.
      If it is set for R2 why do you need to reset it to R2

And in your first post you mention it is set to R2 instead of R4 as the disc is.

Comment

I'm confused as well with both of those posts Gruñón but hopefully the member will post back something for us to understand

Comment

Confusing is the operative word alright.
          This sounds like a PAL - NTSC issue as opposed to region coding, but as you both said, we can't help until the OP clarifies his statements.
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Sorry, a typo. It was set to region 2, so I had to reset it to region 4, and then the rip worked fine.
            After a lot of research I believe the problem is drive-related. I found this info which mentions... edited by mm ..., however it relates to any copying product:
            " Edited by mm ... works with Matsushita (Panasonic) drives, as long as:
            1.) The drive is set to a specific region code. If your drive isn't, set your preferred region.
            2.) CSS protected discs match this region

Edited by mm ... does not allow you with Matsushita (Panasonic) drives to watch or copy a CSS protected disc, which has a different region then the drive, unless you have a patched firmware. (Edited by mm ... allows this with every other drive). The reason is rather simple:

MMC standard requires, that a drive should not reveal a title key on a region mismatched CSS protected disc. (It should return "Illegal request - region code does not match"). Some drives are even less restrictive and even give you the title key on region mismatch. But... edited by mm ... can usually reveal the title key with a brute force attack, as long as the drive allows you to read the scrambled sectors. Matsushita (Panasonic) drives do not! You CANNOT read the scrambled data, if the region code doesn't match. No other drive behaves this way, only Matsushita (Panasonic) drives do, as the standard does not require a drive to not reveal the protected data on region mismatch, but Matsushita (Panasonic) drives are more restrictive as they need to be.

There is nothing... edited by mm ..., DVDDecrypter, or any other software can do about this. Sorry.

Solution: Set the drive to a region, and only use matching discs. Edited by mm ... will remove CSS/Macrovision/Adverts/User prohibitions/forced subtitles/FBI warnings/... no problem.

It cannot bypass region codes with Matsushita (Panasonic) drives."

So it seems that with this drive I cannot insert any DVD other than region 4!! I don't know if software such as DVD43, ... edited by mm ... would be able to help, but it seems not.
            Last edited by maineman; 01-05-2010, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Sorry, Matshita drives are problematic and poor performers with respect to dvd-video archiving. They have poor to non-existent firmware support and their region coding issues are legendary.

Fengtao used to have a disclaimer on his website stating that he would not support MatSHITa drives, as he called them.

If you're serious about this, get yourself a decent burner. There are a ton of good ones out there and can be had pretty cheaply.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Please adhere to the forum rules which you agreed to when joining.
                This includes not posting competitor's products.

Comment

I've been looking for some information on dvdfab's region coding window that comes up. It asks for the user to specify the disc's region coding. Is this referring to the disc to be copied or the end result of the procedure (the copy)? Also, I'm trying to rip a British DVD and cannot find UK under the options; only Western and Eastern Europe come close and I don't believe the UK qualifies as either. Any advice?
                  Thanks!

Comment

Region code popup is for the DVD to be copied, not the end result.
                    The region code should be on the DVD's case.

Comment

And you can set it in the "Settings" page so the popup does not keep appearing.
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                      X