This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media Brand

Which brand is usually the most reliable? I usually use Memorex +R, but there is always a few in the stack that is bad.

I get great bang for my buck when I purchase Verbatim dvd+r s/l or d/l.

Comment

Originally posted by phgcpa View Post
      Memorex +R, but there is always a few in the stack that is bad.
      And they get worse with age ....... try Taiyo Yuden, one of the best for SL burns
      AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

I've been using Fuji DVD-R's s/l without any problems.

Comment

When referring to blank media, it's preferable to talk in terms of MID (media ID) as opposed to brands...as brands "usually" don't tell you much.
          As mentioned, Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are notable exceptions.

The problem with brand names such as Memorex and Fuji is that they frequently have multiple manufacturers and as a result can vary widely with respect to reliability...even within the same spindle.
          For eg., manufacturers for Memorex include: CMC, Ritek, Moser Baer, Mitsubishi, Prodisc, Ricoh and Infodisc.
          Fuji has almost as many again.

In short, it's a crap shoot and why burn crap when quality media can be purchased on sale almost as cheaply.

Just pop a disc in your burner and take a look with a utility such as VSO Inspector, Nero cd-dvd speed (you'll have to download an older one from the net since nero changed the name and now charges $25 US for what used to be free), DVDInfoPro, etc.,...

Keep in mind, it's not only the quality of the initial burn, but as already mentioned by Alien, you might find that your "good" burn is crap 6 months or so later.
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Regardless of the brand. I have greater success with DVD+R than with DVD-R.
            In playback mode of course.
            They both burn good.
            "They say that dog is man's best friend, but they are wrong. Man is dog's best friend. But a dog that will lay down his life to protect his master is man's best friend and a dog that will turn and run at the threat of danger is no friend at all."

Comment

Very true magnum I couldn't play dvd-r's on an older dvd player I had

Comment

For my own use/opinion, i would not give 10 bucks per hundred for the dvd-r discs.
                For me they are nothing but head aches. I took some once and made a real pretty windchime. However like i said it was pretty when shinning/spinning in the sunlight.
                But for chimes it was also useless lol. Duh
                "They say that dog is man's best friend, but they are wrong. Man is dog's best friend. But a dog that will lay down his life to protect his master is man's best friend and a dog that will turn and run at the threat of danger is no friend at all."

Comment

In a galaxy far far away, during the long period of the Galactic Republic, the Outer Rim became very isolated; this is due to the fact that there are many uncharted regions and planets. During this time the only discs to use were -R's, these were the only discs that would work on the original XBOX consoles for backups.

Since then I have been using only TYG02's and TYG03's (-R) and have never had issues.
                  AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Working...
                  X