X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO (VOB) Playback freezes

Hello all,

I've been trying to work through this for several days with no luck. I'm trying to export through the Main Movie option to an ISO file. My main goal is to play the file from a NAS (Synology DS509+) onto a Western Digital Live TV Media Player (WDTV Live) or other Media Player. I've just started out doing this and I want to make sure that I get a good plan lined out before I start digitally storing all of our dvds. The problem is that the video playback freezes for one to two seconds randomly throughout the movie. The 2 movies I've generated an ISO for are Beauty and the Beast and George of the Jungle. Both movies have the same problem.

I've tried several different things with no solution so far. I've tried playing the ISO in the VLC player with the same results. I've tried generating the ISO on 2 different computers, just in case it was a hardware issue, but no luck there. I've tried playing the file from the local computer and over the network in the VLC player and the same results occurred. So far, I'm thinking there is some issue from DVDfab. Has anyone had similar problems or does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

I can post more information if needed, just let me know.

Thanks for all your help.

My suggestion is to download ImgBurn and go to this thread for instructions to integrate it into DVDFab:
    http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=12 and let it burn the ISO. Then give the ISO a try.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Just tried it with Beauty and the Beast and still the same problem. This time I created the main movie to the hard drive. I played the vob files in the VLC player and still the same results. Since it's present in the VOB file, it has to be the process that DVDfab is handling. What could the problem be?

Comment

Could the problem be that if you are playing the VOB files as you say you are, the pause between the individual VOB files? Each ~1Gb
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

GregiBoy is correct, you should never select a VOB file to play, select an IFO file or better yet right click on the folder and select play with VLC it will select the correct IFO to begin play.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Sorry, should have been better at explaining. I played the VOB files by selecting the IFO file in the VLC player. I havent watched the whole video, but in Beauty and the Beast the video plays for the first 5 to 6 minutes, then the video freezes for about 1 to 2 seconds and then the video resumes, but skips the video that would have occured during the time that was frozen. That exact behavior occurs every time it freezes. It then freezes again about 30 seconds later, and then again maybe a minute or so later. Has anyone had any problems like this?

Comment

Just as a long shot try the ASPI driver. In common settings select "READ" it very likely set to AUTO or SPTI, select ASPI and click OK at the bottom. You'll have to restart Fab and then give it a try.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Also, I would suggest that instead of ISO/VOB for your WDTV, have a look at using the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy or generic.avi.h264.audiocopy profiles in "DVD to Mobile"

My good friend & colleague, W&B, reports great success with these with his WDTV and they are fare more efficent storage wise.

Have a read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread to get started. Link in my signature below.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks for your replys and sorry I'm just now responding. I've been playing around with a few different things. I ended up trying VOB/ISO creation on a 3rd machine that was running Vista. Amazingly the file created on this machine had no freezes in it, but the audio got out of sync (about 2 seconds behind) by the end of the movie (Beauty and the Beast). Now I'm convinced that there is just some kind hardware issue on the 2 computers I was trying earlier. I'm trying a few more things to get the audio in sync, but that's what I have found so far. Any suggestions on the sync issue?

Comment

Some things to look for that may be causing the problem:

WIFI: Make sure you are accessing the DS509 over a wired network even temporarily so that you can find the real problem. You might try putting the file on a portable hard drive and trying it on the WDTV to see if it is network or NAS related.

WDTV: Make sure you have the latest firmware. I remember reading that the WD previously had a problem at chapter breaks (and there are many chapter breaks in Disney movies).

Compression: This is a long shot, but you might try ripping the DVD to ISO Main Movie as a DVD9 rather than DVD5. This would eliminate the possibility that your problem is caused by the DVDFab encoding process.

Disk Access: The one failing of the Synology NAS (I have one) is that you can bog it down. Make sure you are not trying to write large files to it while streaming.

Windows Share: If you check the Synology forums you will find that others have problems over SMB that get cleared up when using NFS (if that is an option for you). You also want to make sure you have the latest firmware on the Synology NAS.

You can certainly convert using the DVD to Mobile as recommended earlier, but I would find the real problem first.

Comment

First of all, I would like to say thanks to all of the people who replied.

Secondly, I would like to apologize for not realizing the problem sooner.

After thinking about it for a while, I came to the realization that the problem must have been in the disc I was trying to copy from. There was some scratching but I didn't think it was causing the problem since DVDfab wasn't reporting any read errors, but apparently that's what the problem was. I tried 2 other DVDs that had very minimal scratching on them, converted them to an ISO, copied them over to the NAS and watched them on the WDTV and everything is working perfectly. Are scratches that don't cause read errors that damaging to the copy process?

Thanks again for everybodies help.

Comment

Yeah, copying is far more demanding than playing also.

Comment

Working...
                        X